Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I purchase Red CL nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 12:11 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Where can I purchase Red CL nuts?

I'd like to swap from the black ones to red...haven't had much luck finding any that are anodized, not painted.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:50 PM
SpeeddemonC2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
eBay, Amazon, any Porsche dealer. They are around 720 for the set.
My Porsche dealership says they (red anodized CLs) are not available for the 991 GT3s... Is he mistaken?
Old 02-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
My Porsche dealership says they (red anodized CLs) are not available for the 991 GT3s... Is he mistaken?
He's not mistaken from what I understand; the red CL bolts that are available are only for the 997. The wheel bolt and the wheel bolt locking assembly are designed to work together and according to Porsche "under no circumstances use the 997 lockable wheel bolt on the 991!" (direct quote from the workshop document including the exclamation point).

A 991 locking assembly and 997 wheel bolt weren't designed for each other even though they may seem to fit. In fact, according to the workshop document the bolt and locking assembly are only available as a pair. I'd love to have red CL bolts to match my car color but due to an overabundance of caution over the CL wheels in general, I won't use a part that just seems to fit. I'll wait for the recommended 991 part to be available. Just my $.02....
Old 02-02-2016, 03:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,028 Likes on 5,241 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
I'd like to swap from the black ones to red...haven't had much luck finding any that are anodized, not painted.
You're best bet is to get them anodized yourself.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Incorrect...................my buddies car, not coated, the real deal OEM.
I don't think I am incorrect. They may be OEM, but I'll wager they're OEM for the 997 not the 991. As I posted above, the 997 bolts will "fit" on a 991 but they are not designed to pair with the 991 locking mechanism and Porsche specifically warns against using them. FWIW, if you look on the Suncoast parts site you'll find red CL bolts for the 997, but not the 991.

They look great; I believe I saw your friend's car in person at Werks Reunion in Carmel last August.....even took a pic of the wheel and red CL bolt (below). After doing research, though, I found that they had to be a 997 part. Your buddy may be willing to take the risk using 997 parts on his 991 for the sake of appearance, but given all the fuss and issues surrounding CL's, I'm not. TEHO.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
They look great; I believe I saw your friend's car in person at Werks Reunion in Carmel.....even took a pic of the wheel and red CL bolt (below). After doing research, though, I found that they had to be a 997 part. Your buddy may be willing to take the risk using 997 parts on his 991 for the sake of appearance, but given all the fuss and issues surrounding CL's, I'm not. TEHO.
That is definitely a 997 CL nut on a 991. Here's a picture of a 991 nut; note the different shape of the splines:

Name:  K1JOowa.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  746.1 KB
Old 02-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shivatron
That is definitely a 997 CL nut on a 991. Here's a picture of a 991 nut; note the different shape of the splines:
Bingo.

ok
i see what you guys mean and i understand, and agree these are the 997
well, with that said, they do fit and work. not 100% sure if they are as safe and lock perfectly but i know the car has been tracked and driven extremely fast with zero issues
Understood, AC. I may be over cautious, but the fact that someone hasn't had an issue (yet) doesn't mean there isn't the potential for a problem. It's particularly concerning when the manufacturer goes out of their way to state that a specific part shouldn't be used. Maybe it's out of an overabundance of caution on their part too....I don't know.....but there's at least a possibility there's a good reason for the warning.

Maybe your buddy will never have a problem; I hope not. One of the nice things about a forum like this is that people can get all the information they need in order to make good decisions. Now they have the info and the decision is up to them. Cheers.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

If PAG changed the thread geometry that could result in different loading on the thread surfaces. With around 440 lb/ft of torque that could be a not so insignificant scenario.

Quick Reply: Where can I purchase Red CL nuts?