Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:22 PM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2015 GT3 misfire engine - help

hello everyone

bought gt3 2015 feb production, may delivery 2015

had a recall on ignition coil and plugs to be replaced december, also reprogramming, can went in and got replaced ( 2000 KM )

guess what? last friday car lost power and warning came out that i have engine failure and should visit the workshop.
car went to the dealer, first diagnose showed misfire in half of the engine ( 3 cylinders ), dealer requested to pull out the engine, i accepted and matter is still there where things are foggy.
Porsche middle east got informed and they are delaying solving the matter.

anyone can give me a contact for PAG? thanks ahead
Old 01-25-2016, 01:56 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 991 Likes on 512 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully someone will help with a contact.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:00 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be similar to what Macca went through. Hopefully it gets solved soon for you.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It could (hopefully) be something else but I suggest you read post #43 and subsequent posts in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...e-in-gt3r.html
Old 01-25-2016, 02:02 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Were on race track when this happened? What RPM range were you operating the vehicle that day?

Last edited by silverrules; 01-25-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:14 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This does sound similar to Macca's dilemma. He will chime in I assume. He has diligently followed this issue for a long time now, and recently experienced it first hand.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:42 PM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully someone will help with a contact.
thanks same here

Originally Posted by bronson7
Could be similar to what Macca went through. Hopefully it gets solved soon for you.
thanks, looking for the threat to understand more
Old 01-25-2016, 03:52 PM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It could (hopefully) be something else but I suggest you read post #43 and subsequent posts in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...e-in-gt3r.html
thanks for sharing its the exact thing happening to me i guess but mine is F engine
i wish mecca could comment here
Old 01-25-2016, 03:53 PM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverrules
Were on race track when this happened? What RMP range were you operating the vehicle that day?
somehow, i dont remember the RPM range but had the sport on and pushing it
but mine is just 2600 km not even miles.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:54 PM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
This does sound similar to Macca's dilemma. He will chime in I assume. He has diligently followed this issue for a long time now, and recently experienced it first hand.
just noticed mecca's post
yes its almost the same but i have the F engine so not sure what other engines are involved
Old 01-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by farisad
thanks for sharing its the exact thing happening to me i guess but mine is F engine
i wish mecca could comment here
I think there was still some question about whether the F series engines would be affected. While they may have had changes made to the valve levers, I don't think they have the lubrication upgrades that the G series engines received. They also tend to have lower miles than the E series engines which may be a factor although your mileage is very low. Hopefully Macca will have something to say on this.

Good luck and please let us know what you eventually find out as this is of great interest to us all.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:45 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by farisad
just noticed mecca's post
yes its almost the same but i have the F engine so not sure what other engines are involved
I see you only have 2600 kms, just wondering what kind of engine break-in did you do? Also, how many kms did you have before you tracked your car?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:51 AM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think there was still some question about whether the F series engines would be affected. While they may have had changes made to the valve levers, I don't think they have the lubrication upgrades that the G series engines received. They also tend to have lower miles than the E series engines which may be a factor although your mileage is very low. Hopefully Macca will have something to say on this.

Good luck and please let us know what you eventually find out as this is of great interest to us all.
same here, i dont think F engines got fixed in my opinion and the issue of the engines are still on, lets see what porsche has to say.

Originally Posted by bronson7
I see you only have 2600 kms, just wondering what kind of engine break-in did you do? Also, how many kms did you have before you tracked your car?
i did a really cool break in, until 2000 km almost with normal driving, minimum highway and traditional stuff.
first time i tracked with it was so minor and not above 5 k RPM
that was 2000 KM
second time was open and pushed it around 2500
Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Farisad. I would like to say good to hear from you but of course the circumstances are nt so good.

Firstly you have a low km F series engine.

I have spreadsheet 13 first hand encounters of Cylinder Missfire codes leading to new engines. I may be adding your details soon! I hope not...

All of them so far are E series engines apart from one F. That engine was a swap for an E (failed 5000mls) and on installation the owner noticed it made a ticking noise at idle which sounded like a tappet issue. The techs dropped the engine again and found metal contaminants in the swath (Im sorry you will need to use google translate for that but its oil residue) around the cam lobes. They suspected faulty lifters and replaced the lifters at PAGs expense. That engine had the check code again at 900mls while on the track. The offer of a replacement G engine was made. The owner decided to apply for a full refund of the car and was granted this. I have had detailed correspondence with this person. I cannit really classify this as the same issue because I suspect the F engine may have been wrngly assembled or had issues during production. The fact it threw a cylinder missfire code at 900mls is very unusual and more indicative of another issue.

I also have third hand information of 2 x F series ttal engine failures on WPC car series in Germany but I dont know any more about those cars and suspect the issue was different again.

It does depend on the codes your engine threw. They will throw a general bank missfire code (something like 3300). They will also thrw at the same time a specific cylinder missfire code (i.e. 3306 for cylinder 6 etc). We know your codes to be sure. If its the same issue it will almost certainly be the RHS cylinder bank from my investigation (Cylinders 4/5/6).

What has me really curious is that you had your plugs and coils replaced under warranty and the software upgrade. As an F engine I did not think you would have been part of that recall as at this time it appears to be MY2016 (G series) cars affected. However looking at the WF72 bulletin for this it does say 2014-2016 and makes no references to cars it should not be applied to though it does intimate its applicable to cars affected by the campaign. I believe the software has no relevance in any case to the upgrades coils/plugs (which are I believe the same part).

If your code is showing all cylinders of that bank are failing them my view is you are looking at a coil pack failure or a cam sensor failure. This would be my thoughts based on inf provided.

Good luck and please be sure to keep us informed for the communities sake.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2016, 06:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Correction to above. It appears F series is potential recall n coils/plugs as evidenced by UAE member aameresa in other thread...

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 misfire engine - help