Sponsored by:

Getting prompts to download adware/malware from this site

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Honestly Mike, maybe think about using Chrome?

IE, even in its most current iteration, reminds me of a browser gone horribly wrong; sort of like a RUF Turbo R using a 951 chassis.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:49 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

IE, even in its most current iteration, reminds me of a browser gone horribly wrong; sort of like a RUF Turbo R using a 951 chassis.
+1. IE, alta vista, ask jeeves... all great stuff.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Try setting s higher security level on whatever software you are using. Some platforms allow the user to select a security setting. If yours does try that. Also you may wish to run the scanning function of your antivirus. Maybe you picked up a cookie somewhere that calls up such malware.
Originally Posted by zirrah
Run a virus and malware scan on your pc. You might have something.
Good idea, thanks. I tried both a virus and malware scan before posting about this initially and nothing came up. I don't think there is anything infecting my computer currently, but something keeps trying to load when I come onto this site. I did up the security level in IE a notch; so I'll see what happens going forward.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

haha.....ipse, I do have both Chrome and Firefox on my PC and use them occasionally on some sites that won't work with IE. I guess I'm set in my ways, but I actually prefer IE....when it's working.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:45 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Chrome? No thanks, Google tracks me and eternally hoards my data enough already... I'd use FireFox, or Safari on a Mac.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:59 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I love chrome when I have to use a pc....otherwise macbook air. Cant go wrong.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:43 AM
GMP911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I have noticed that this site has had "something" trying to load in both Mac and Windows/chrome machines. I began to notice this just as this site was freshened a few months ago. I have had times when Chrome will crash or a warning that something is trying to load appears. I have also seen this when I power off and Windows asks if i want a "force close" programs and then it will shutdown as normal. I have recently noticed that it doesn't happen as often if I login to Rennlist vs just anonymously viewing. I agree it is very frustrating. I'm not an IT guys so I can't offer any solutions.

By the way, thanks for your oil change post - I used it this summer without any surprises.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GMP911
Mike, I have noticed that this site has had "something" trying to load in both Mac and Windows/chrome machines. I began to notice this just as this site was freshened a few months ago. I have had times when Chrome will crash or a warning that something is trying to load appears. I have also seen this when I power off and Windows asks if i want a "force close" programs and then it will shutdown as normal. I have recently noticed that it doesn't happen as often if I login to Rennlist vs just anonymously viewing. I agree it is very frustrating. I'm not an IT guys so I can't offer any solutions.

By the way, thanks for your oil change post - I used it this summer without any surprises.
GMP911, thanks for the feedback on the PC issue and you're very welcome on the oil change post. I'm glad it was a help.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

A quick follow up....

After starting this thread yesterday, I changed my IE security level from Medium to Medium High. For the past 24 hours I've not received the message to open or save the suspect files. As a test, I switched back to Medium this morning and within a few clicks on the site I got the message again.

I now remember lowering my security level a couple of weeks back for some reason which now escapes me and that's when the problem started. Just a word to the wise, and thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Highly recommend chrome/ff + adblock extension. Stay away from IE like plague. ActiveX is a big security hole. Even MS is dumping support for it in their new Edge browser.

Quick Reply: Getting prompts to download adware/malware from this site