Sponsored by:

Bergmeister Takes RS Around Kyalami Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:18 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
WOW That's a little surprising P would market or allow that footage to go public , no helmet , no gloves , no suit/ or long sleeves , and driving what appears to be flat out and doesn't seem to have the line down; the car is years of engineering endeavor, I don't think that footage is professionally complementary
Looks like a wonderful and fun challenging track
Fastlaneturbo what's your take ?
I am suprised at your response R.Deacon. Its a closed track and a road car- in europe/ROW they don't need to have helmets, gloves, long sleaves unless racing- still way safer than driving with a window down as you are forced to in the states and note the run off and better track set up than most US tracks

He isn't putting down time attack or race laps but just relaxed and having fun pushing the car far beyond our limits and skills, if he put his race face on he'd be a totatly different with a race face on. He has proven his skills already.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:23 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
I am suprised at your response R.Deacon. Its a closed track and a road car- in europe/ROW they don't need to have helmets, gloves, long sleaves unless racing- still way safer than driving with a window down as you are forced to in the states and note the run off and better track set up than most US tracks

He isn't putting down time attack or race laps but just relaxed and having fun pushing the car far beyond our limits and skills, if he put his race face on he'd be a totatly different with a race face on. He has proven his skills already.
always learning here on RL, as I am not a pro just a keen enthusiast , thanks for the info
Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Tough crowd.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

What a driver
Old 01-25-2016, 02:22 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Always amazes me when you are in the passenger seat of a great driver. Feels like you are going to crash every time you are going into a corner. Somehow never felt afraid. Feel afraid every time I jump in a taxi in Dubai.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Feel afraid every time I jump in a taxi in Dubai.
You probably have good reason for that.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:34 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

always learning here on RL, as I am not a pro just a keen enthusiast , thanks for the info
I've been told by a number of Pro drivers (note I didn't say car builders) that in modern street cars (including 911s), even if the harness bar/roll bar is offered they go with the 3-point belt with stock seats. Their argument is the seats are designed to move the occupants away from the impact and it is safer than a harness bar and 6-point belt.

I have a full cage/full race seats on my car, but the first time i was told I thought it was BS, but I've been told it another 5 or 6 times by unrelated drivers.

Sure a helmet might be nice, but is it better to have less inertia into the airbag or more? I have no idea, but it seems theories are changing as safety improves...
Old 01-25-2016, 04:40 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

NateOZ thanks for sharing

So what does one do while waiting on hold for a conference call

Check RL
Old 01-25-2016, 04:42 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

NateOZ thanks for sharing

So what does one do while waiting on hold for a conference call

Check RL
+1 - that's why I'm here too...
Old 01-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is he wearing loafers like Ayrton ?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kobalt
You probably have good reason for that.
Oh yes! Unless you've just experienced Saudi taxis in which case they're almost a relief...
Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I've been told by a number of Pro drivers (note I didn't say car builders) that in modern street cars (including 911s), even if the harness bar/roll bar is offered they go with the 3-point belt with stock seats. Their argument is the seats are designed to move the occupants away from the impact and it is safer than a harness bar and 6-point belt.

I have a full cage/full race seats on my car, but the first time i was told I thought it was BS, but I've been told it another 5 or 6 times by unrelated drivers.

Sure a helmet might be nice, but is it better to have less inertia into the airbag or more? I have no idea, but it seems theories are changing as safety improves...
Modern airbags, seats, and 3-point belts are designed as a system to provide protection partly through engineered deceleration, if that makes sense. Using a 6-point harness without also employing some sort of head and neck restraint exposes the neck to higher risk in the event of crash. This is the same type of injury that killed Dale Earnhardt. The 6-point harness restrains the body much more so than a 3-point seat belt without providing any control of the head. Racers address this risk by employing a Hans device or similar mated with a Halo seat.

Long-story short, if you're using 6-point harness in your street car and not using a Hans device combined with a Halo seat or a hybrid head & neck system such as those offered by Simpson (http://www.speedmartinc.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1799) and others, you're actually putting yourself at more risk for a neck injury.

Not a very scientific explanation but that's the gist of it.

Last edited by Nizer; 01-25-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Some background on the improvements to Kyalami, which Porsche South Africa purchased in 2014:

http://www.bdlive.co.za/sport/others...r-world-racing

And to put Bergmeister's approx 2:00 lap into perspective, Christensen's admittedly tourist pace lap was around 2:20.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No worries mate.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:29 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW That's a little surprising P would market or allow that footage to go public , no helmet , no gloves , no suit/ or long sleeves , and driving what appears to be flat out and doesn't seem to have the line down; the car is years of engineering endeavor, I don't think that footage is professionally complementary
Looks like a wonderful and fun challenging track
Fastlaneturbo what's your take ?
Better than a guy with a full suit hans and stuff on, almost looking like going to the outer space and at the end being overtaken by guys in miatas.

Quick Reply: Bergmeister Takes RS Around Kyalami Circuit