Sponsored by:

Some details on 9A1 engine in GT3R

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:11 PM
seamus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks guys. F engine looks solid so far I must say. Keep your data points flowing for general interest. I'm recording only failed units on my sheet to establish any patterns. Only patters so far is RHS inlet rockers cylinder 4.5,6 and E series engines. I think every example from my 13-14 specific examples has seen track use even if a small amount so therefore some extended redline running.
Macca, Thank you for gathering and sharing this information. I am subscribed to this thread and will watch carefully.

MY 15
Dec 14 build
Delivery Feb 15
F engine
First time on track with any car. One "driving school" day and one day PCA DE
Many spirited drives enjoying 9K occasionally
9800 miles
Factory recommended break-in
Oil change at 4900 miles
No issues at all
Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Boy, looks like it's going to be an interesting after-warranty, used car market with these 991 GT3's -- most of them wrung out to death in the hopes of killing the engine and getting an "improved, attempt #4" replacement before the warranty expires.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:30 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Boy, looks like it's going to be an interesting after-warranty, used car market with these 991 GT3's -- most of them wrung out to death in the hopes of killing the engine and getting an "improved, attempt #4" replacement before the warranty expires.
"Most of them wrung out to death"???????????????????????? Where do you interpret that information from. If not helpful to the topic, stay off the thread please.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:36 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
"Most of them wrung out to death"???????????????????????? Where do you interpret that information from. If not helpful to the topic, stay off the thread please.
Hyperbole for sure but there have been a few that want to push their motor into failure mode sooner than later...
Old 01-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,890 Likes on 2,231 Posts

I expect to be at about 50K miles in 4 years. The car is too much fun to not use it to the full extent my schedule allows. Right now, the biggest concern these issues present for me is that I'm less confident taking the car to a far away track without a trailer, whereas a premise in buying the car was that the hassle of trailering isn't needed. But an upside of trailering would be keeping road miles off the car, so that I can focus the warranty miles on track miles.

Porsche: if you're listening, feel free to back my rev limiter off to 8800
Old 01-28-2016, 04:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I expect to be at about 50K miles in 4 years. The car is too much fun to not use it to the full extent my schedule allows. Right now, the biggest concern these issues present for me is that I'm less confident taking the car to a far away track without a trailer, whereas a premise in buying the car was that the hassle of trailering isn't needed. But an upside of trailering would be keeping road miles off the car, so that I can focus the warranty miles on track miles.

Porsche: if you're listening, feel free to back my rev limiter off to 8800
I believe none of the failures have rendered the cars undriveable. They go into limp mode, and are 'ok to drive to a service center'.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

seems few service managers etc... are aware of this as they only look at the bulletins when a car is presenting these issues...
Old 01-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,890 Likes on 2,231 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I believe none of the failures have rendered the cars undriveable. They go into limp mode, and are 'ok to drive to a service center'.
Can it get up to highway speeds in limp mode? OK to drive in limp mode for several hours?
Old 01-28-2016, 05:19 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Macca,

Here's the additional info regarding my E engine:
Date: July 2015
Mileage: 12,000
It was cylinder 1, a "tare " was noted in the ignition coil. Coil replaced. No further issues.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Can it get up to highway speeds in limp mode? OK to drive in limp mode for several hours?
I believe so. I had similar misfire codes and I was also placed in limp mode, but was able to drive 2 hours home at highway speeds. You just cant go full throttle and the car stutters at low rpm
Old 01-28-2016, 06:05 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

If the engine has a constant misfire,what's called a dead miss,I wouldn't drive it because you are risking destroying the catalytic converters(big$$$).
Old 01-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

I wouldn't drive it because you are risking destroying the catalytic converters(big$$$).
I wonder if the ECU is smart enough to shut off fuel in a situation like that? If not you also risk washing the cylinder walls which is another rather large issue.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,871 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
If the engine has a constant misfire,what's called a dead miss,I wouldn't drive it because you are risking destroying the catalytic converters(big$$$).
If that's true, even more reason to drive it home.

Heck, might be the best time for a x-country roadie.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I wonder if the ECU is smart enough to shut off fuel in a situation like that? If not you also risk washing the cylinder walls which is another rather large issue.
You are correct,these DMEs are certainly capable of shutting off injectors on individual cylinders. But the question remains what are the conditions in which the DME shuts off the particular injector or injectors. Also whether you are having a single cylinder misfire or multiple. Since the computers have gotten so accurate/complex and the notification display tells you " OK to drive on ",I assume it's ok to continue.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If that's true, even more reason to drive it home. Heck, might be the best time for a x-country roadie.
LOL!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

After reading the thread a couple of times I am beginning to wonder if the failures that have been reported are really "failures" or is it that some of the engines are wearing out due to track use (albeit prematurely).

I bring the point bcs there would be a world of difference in the aftermarket value of all these cars if the market comes to believe that these issues are deemed to result from flawed engines and therefore time bombs. One thing is highway use and another altogether different is repeated trips to redline and high Gs function. Maybe we were incorrectly expecting that these engines would be flawless regardless of use and that obviously has turned out not the case. Man has yet to invent a perpetually lasting engine.

It is obvious we have been using the term failure in its general acceptance in the sense that the engine has failed to perform. I am not a word smith and not trying to spin this in a different way but I guess we really mean premature wear. Correct?

Quick Reply: Some details on 9A1 engine in GT3R