Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS without clubsport ... Is it such a wrong choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:24 AM
cebe
Pro

Received 435 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks to all RLs for their kind feedback.

I understand it is not a popular choice to have an RS as a touring car, but I am coming from having a string of old ACs as touring cars ... so no matter how loud the RS is, it will feel very much 21st century in comparison to the old metal.

Doing about a thousand miles in one W-E with an old 930 a 964 or even a 993 is becoming a little excessive for my wife and you want to keep an happy wife ...
With the PDK she will even be able to do some driving, on the long boring highway stretches...
I am getting the RS just because the plain 991 feels just too perfect (tried a 991 TT) and not really thrilling enough to me as a week-end car, even on the road. Massive speed, yes; entertainment at reasonable speeds, no.

I will be at the Porsche Parade in Croatia next June and it will be over 2000 km roundtrip in the RS with two people and the luggage, thats the typical use of my P-cars.

I will still enjoy the old ACs for the odd errand (alone) or for the shorter trips and I still have what could be defined as an "homologation special" with a full cage if I want the un-adultered "Le Mans feeling".

I appreciate the option of getting the clubsport and removing it after delivery, but I would rather not modify the car from its original specification. Also the fire estinguisher should be removed from the passenger footwell.

In the event I will be "forced" by PAG to get the clubsport on my european RS anyhow, I will gladly get in contact with the RLs in the US that have expressed interest in getting it.

Definitely I would expect the RS to be more civilized and confortable then these below (current cars):
Attached Images    
Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Clubsport all the way. It's almost a necessity like the LWB seats in my options on these GT cars. Don't get me started on why we don't have it here in the states.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Mr. Li
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Someone can, and will, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the clubsport cage is welded on.
Actually the cage is bolted on not weld on
Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are inclined to believe that the plain ol GT3 is too perfect, then the RS is even more perfect (capable), GT3 is slightly more gritty and unrefined. If you are also inclined to believe that the RS feels very different to the GT3, it's not. Both cars have similar characters, yet slight variation there of. You will be disappointed. Either car is great. RS is better in every way.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 AM
RBH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
If you are inclined to believe that the plain ol GT3 is too perfect, then the RS is even more perfect (capable), GT3 is slightly more gritty and unrefined. If you are also inclined to believe that the RS feels very different to the GT3, it's not. Both cars have similar characters, yet slight variation there of. You will be disappointed. Either car is great. RS is better in every way.
Think he's talking about the other 991's, like the TT he mentioned, not the 'regular' GT3.

Clubsport yes/no: can you find out why Porsche is urging you to get the CS package? Just curious. Anyway, just go with whatever suits you; no CS package considering your usage of the car.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Ah, sorry, miss read that. Thanks for the correction
Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 543 Likes on 344 Posts

Do you buy the car for you or the next owner?

A friend of mine likes to buy RS's without CS package, because he does not track his cars and appreciates the available room on the back.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 AM
cebe
Pro

Received 435 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 928cs
Do you buy the car for you or the next owner?

A friend of mine likes to buy RS's without CS package, because he does not track his cars and appreciates the available room on the back.

You are spot on!

I have the luxury to by the car for myself in the configuration that will match my use (I also had the model designation delete in the back, probably not very popular), I was just curiouse to understand why the clubsport was almost mandatory (by PAG) and so much appreciated by the vast majority of owners.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 AM
hets72
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

..... you might want to think about a new 991 TT - more a GT / Touring Car than the RS
Old 01-18-2016, 09:38 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 543 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
You are spot on!

I have the luxury to by the car for myself in the configuration that will match my use (I also had the model designation delete in the back, probably not very popular), I was just curiouse to understand why the clubsport was almost mandatory (by PAG) and so much appreciated by the vast majority of owners.
I also like the model designation delete
Old 01-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

You're going to get a huge bias here since the clubsport kit is not available in the US.

If it's my money, and I'm not going to use the car on track, I order the clubsport kit and have a shop remove the rear bar and save it.

That said, its your car and decision. Not the rennlist peanut gallery!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:53 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Is your 993 a GT2? Looks to be by the photo you posted.

If so, you are very lucky!! One of my absolute dream cars.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice stable of cars you have. An RS will compliment them very well.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 PM
PPP
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Clubsport is not available on all RS' shipped to North America.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:19 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

The cage is bolt in. Dealer can have out of your car in 3 hours or less. Easy peasy.

Removing it will most certainly not be considered altering or modifying the car. It is merely a simple bolt in accessory. Same for fire extinguisher. Can be removed or installed again at anytime.

I have the full clubsport in my 997RS. I have had it in and out 3 times.

In regards to touring, the GT3 is the only way to go.
I used to think a big sedan was it. (Yawn) But after touring in a 997RS i realized how much more fun the drive can be.
A PDK GT3 has to be amazing for proper touring. Mountian passes, tunnels, high speed gas station exits, etc. Miles of smiles.

I am a buyer @ $7000.00 for the clubsport cage.

Quick Reply: RS without clubsport ... Is it such a wrong choice?