9A1 goes racing-Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:23 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
And the world could end tomorrow. I think you overstate your case a bit. There will be teething problems and if they stick to it they will have some success. Direct link to Motorsport with the current gt3 is now a fact, how difficult or successful doesn't take that away and you can always claim the heritage. No stains from racing failures will impact the production car, it is now forever a racing engine.
I'm neither denying nor confirming the new GT3R is using some variation of the 9A1. It can only be so expected they would eventually utilize a new power plant.

Knowing Porsche as I do and having been inside Weissach, I can allude to the thoroughness of this brand, prior to launching any new product. Be that as it may, I was beyond disbelief when they began having spontaneous combustion issues after launching the 991 GT3. Especially when you take into consideration the 9A1 was launched with the 997.2 (non-GT cars). Therefore I contend the Porsche victory train will continue sans any major issues, stains, or any other business altering, impactful incidents. Simply evolution at its best and what I admire about this brands commitment to perfecting their product. Every generation gets faster.

Nevertheless, could you please be so kind and direct me towards the information not provided here within that supports your "fact" so unequivocally; the new GT3R utilizes a version, variation of the 9A1?

Lastly,

Heritage:
her·it·age
ˈherədij/
noun
1. Something that is or may be inherited; an inheritance.

Therefore, it truly is quite the opposite, if your stated "fact" is accurate, the 2016 GT3R has 997.2 and 991 street car cred/heritage.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:27 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well finally since we've vetted the internal bolts, thermostats and oil pressures....not to mention determining white is truly fastest!
Old 01-09-2016, 07:35 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They used us as guinea pigs.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:39 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I believe I read something on Autoweek that this car's engine would be based on the 9A1 GT3 RS engine.

There's also this article: http://sportscar365.com/gt/new-porsc...na-2016-debut/
And this one…

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...e-car-revealed

^^^Link may be broken. But here is the gist of the article -
"The new GT3 R is derived from the 911 GT3 RS road car, which itself was launched only a couple of months ago. As its name suggests, the car has been designed for GT3 competition, with the main focus for the engineers being in the areas of lightweight design, aerodynamic efficiency, reduced fuel consumption, improved handling, improved safety and lowering service and spare parts costs.

Powering the car is a 4.0-liter flat-six that’s largely identical to the unit in the GT3 RS road car. Power levels offered by the engine start in excess of 500 horsepower. Compared to the engine in the previous GT3 R, the new one offers improved driveability thanks to a flatter torque curve spread over a broader rev range.

Power is sent to the rear wheels via a six-speed sequential gearbox with paddle shifters. A mechanical limited-slip differential is also fitted. The wheels measure 18 inches in diameter and come wrapped in massive 300/650 tires up front and 310/710s at the rear. The brakes are ventilated and grooved steel discs with six-piston calipers at the front and four-piston biters at the rear.

The suspension consists of McPherson struts, adjustable in height, camber and toe, at the front. An independent multi-link setup, also with adjustable height, camber and toe, is used at the rear. Adjustable anti-roll bars are found at both ends.

For the body, lightweight solutions enabled the engineers to significantly optimize the center of gravity of the car compared to the predecessor model. The main body is made with aluminum, steel and composite materials while other parts are pure carbon fiber-reinforced plastic. All windows—and for the first time even the windscreen—comprise of polycarbonate. The end result is a weight of just 2,689 pounds."

Last edited by 997s07; 01-10-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

All that said, having worked on 991 GT3 and RSs, they are sofa king awesome, they don't need any fooking heritage. The chassis, engine combo on these cars is outstanding!

991 GT3RS, imho is the greatest step forward in the 911's evolution, probably since Mr. Mezger's power plant.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:57 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
And the world could end tomorrow. I think you overstate your case a bit. There will be teething problems and if they stick to it they will have some success. Direct link to Motorsport with the current gt3 is now a fact, how difficult or successful doesn't take that away and you can always claim the heritage. No stains from racing failures will impact the production car, it is now forever a racing engine.
Please you need to live in the real world......9A1 will already have a shorter racing life to prove itself then it's more famous cousin that proved itself well. If God forbid it never is competitive it will be forum material for years....it won't change my opinion of my car because at Sebring is the only thing that matters to me
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
They used us as guinea pigs.
Very possibly true; but they stood behind their product and they have honored their warranty commitments. From my understanding they have replaced quite a few engines(more than once) and they have been pretty good about that.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:10 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time will tell and nobody has been able to change history.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 535 Posts

Time will tell and nobody has been able to change history.
What about Marty?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:26 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/151261201">Getting into the rhythm</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user26426348">Porsche AG</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I'm neither denying nor confirming the new GT3R is using some variation of the 9A1. It can only be so expected they would eventually utilize a new power plant.

Knowing Porsche as I do and having been inside Weissach, I can allude to the thoroughness of this brand, prior to launching any new product. Be that as it may, I was beyond disbelief when they began having spontaneous combustion issues after launching the 991 GT3. Especially when you take into consideration the 9A1 was launched with the 997.2 (non-GT cars). Therefore I contend the Porsche victory train will continue sans any major issues, stains, or any other business altering, impactful incidents. Simply evolution at its best and what I admire about this brands commitment to perfecting their product. Every generation gets faster.

Nevertheless, could you please be so kind and direct me towards the information not provided here within that supports your "fact" so unequivocally; the new GT3R utilizes a version, variation of the 9A1?

Lastly,

Heritage:
her·it·age
ˈherədij/
noun
1. Something that is or may be inherited; an inheritance.

Therefore, it truly is quite the opposite, if your stated "fact" is accurate, the 2016 GT3R has 997.2 and 991 street car cred/heritage.
Now that is something to think about.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Where's destacado.....?...........? Lol
All the naysayers will always be present, just watch......oh already too late'
Old 01-10-2016, 02:59 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Bueno!!!
¡Que Bueno!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:31 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
A couple of years ago one of the Porsche bigwigs ( I think it was Müller) commented that the previous sequence of putting a motor that had raced in a production car was purposely being reversed. This time around a special production engine was being released in the GT3 with the intent that it was destined for racing.

In the end, and especially if the 9A1 proves itself in competition, it really doesn't matter that much where the engine debuted; the GT3's connection to racing will be maintained.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:36 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
No more Metzger as a racing engine LOL
(Der) Metzger = butcher

Mezger (Hans) = designer of great engines

Quick Reply: 9A1 goes racing-Finally!!