Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSRs getting creamed at the Roar Before the Rolex

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

GTD cars are the GT3R chassis with the 4.0 9A1 motor. This car is wider, more power, more aero and more speed than the GT3 Cup.

GT3 Cup cars are the IMSA GT3 Cup series based car with the 3.8L Metzger motor.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Banned

Received 918 Likes on 515 Posts

I stand corrected. I was not up on the 2016 class rule change. The last I read in October it was the Metzger engine. Highest praise to Porsche for getting the new engine in a new car and ready to race in less than 3 months.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...bdfa3b&lang=en
Old 01-11-2016, 10:39 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The GTD spec Cup cars have Metzger. Maybe next year 991.2 Cup will have 9A1.
Unless all of the many visiting PAG employees supporting the Porsche Race Teams at Daytona are lying to a very close friend of mine (who worked with them as a master Porsche Engine Rebuilder for many years), they have all reported total satisfaction with the reliability of the new 9A1 Engines in the GT3Rs during the recent Roar Practice testing at Daytona.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

I stand corrected. I was not up on the 2016 class rule change. The last I read in October it was the Metzger engine. Highest praise to Porsche for getting the new engine in a new car and ready to race in less than 3 months.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...bdfa3b&lang=en
Really??? You're representing your employer rather poorly by being (1) grossly mis-informed about a very important component of the latest race car for GTD AND (2) spelling the name of the most famous engineer in company history (ex Family members) incorrectly.

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Unless all of the many visiting PAG employees supporting the Porsche Race Teams at Daytona are lying to a very close friend of mine (who worked with them as a master Porsche Engine Rebuilder for many years), they have all reported total satisfaction with the reliability of the new 9A1 Engines in the GT3Rs during the recent Roar Practice testing at Daytona.
Hope they last a full 24...
Old 01-11-2016, 11:10 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Banned

Received 918 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
spelling the name of the most famous engineer in company history (ex Family members) incorrectly.
Please accept my most sincere apology. I did not meant any disrespect. Just picked up the incorrect spelling from somewhere. Will use the correct spelling from now on.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Really??? You're representing your employer rather poorly by being (1) grossly mis-informed about a very important component of the latest race car for GTD AND (2) spelling the name of the most famous engineer in company history (ex Family members) incorrectly.

Hope they last a full 24...
damn dude...
Old 01-12-2016, 01:06 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
damn dude...
I was thinking the same thing. A couple of mistakes and off to the firing squad.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:42 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Please accept my most sincere apology. I did not meant any disrespect. Just picked up the incorrect spelling from somewhere. Will use the correct spelling from now on.
I don't think this matters, but my respect for you just went up a thousand fold. Just had to say it.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:57 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Also in terms of cost to get race ready:

IMSA GS Cayman GT4: 180k ish
GT3 Cup- 240k
GT3R- 400k
RSR/ GTLM- 900k

The price of lap times goes up significantly once you are in the other paddock (where all the teams have fake plants in hospitality)
you guys running the GT4 clubsport at Daytona?
If so, how is it so far?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:48 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
you guys running the GT4 clubsport at Daytona?
If so, how is it so far?
yes we have 2 for the season. one car is full with Danny Burkett and Marc Miller and the other car will be a buffett line of various driver pairings throughout the year.

I love the car and got to do about 20 laps across 3 sessions. Biggest priority was getting Danny familiar with the car and testing some different setups. Since we seemed to be faster than the other GT4 cars it appears our 3 lap installation sequences worked really well to fine tune the characteristics of the car. Lots of the other teams just beat on the car for 60 mins straight with short breaks for tire temp checking.

I will say that the car was incredibly loose out of the box on the Continental Tires and VERY fast in a straight line. We will be battling the urge to overdrive the car while we fine tune the setting but did about 15-20 various adjustments over the weekend and have a lot of it sorted, and good information to head into the first race with...

Of course this is all proprietary information and we will not be sharing online in a forum but Porsche has really knocked the car out of the park. Bravo!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:35 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,084 Likes on 384 Posts

New short video on the GT3R and RSR

Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

yes we have 2 for the season. one car is full with Danny Burkett and Marc Miller and the other car will be a buffett line of various driver pairings throughout the year.

I love the car and got to do about 20 laps across 3 sessions. Biggest priority was getting Danny familiar with the car and testing some different setups. Since we seemed to be faster than the other GT4 cars it appears our 3 lap installation sequences worked really well to fine tune the characteristics of the car. Lots of the other teams just beat on the car for 60 mins straight with short breaks for tire temp checking.

I will say that the car was incredibly loose out of the box on the Continental Tires and VERY fast in a straight line. We will be battling the urge to overdrive the car while we fine tune the setting but did about 15-20 various adjustments over the weekend and have a lot of it sorted, and good information to head into the first race with...

Of course this is all proprietary information and we will not be sharing online in a forum but Porsche has really knocked the car out of the park. Bravo!
Come on dude! Share what you learned at the test on setup with us all. ;-)

Glad you got to turn a few laps in the car this weekend. I saw you at different times around the paddock throughout the weekend but it always appeared you were busy when I did. Next time I will make a better point to say hello and introduce myself when not behind a keyboard.

The CJWR GT4s looked good. I like the color on the 33 car. It will look killer out on track. Best of luck to you guys this year.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Tom has contributed quite a bit over on the 997 GT3 forum and is well thought of over there. He has helped me with questions with my 10 GT3 and always been enthusiastic in his response.

Any questions on how he represents his employer might be better directed to Mike Levitas. I'm sure he can set you on the right track.

As has been already noted, Tom posted a class response.

I read what would have been the next paragraph twice and decided to erase it. That past advice really works.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Are you guy running full windows with A/C in your cars?
70L or 100L tanks?
Old 01-13-2016, 04:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Are you guy running full windows with A/C in your cars? 70L or 100L tanks?
No AC. This is a professional series. LOL.

Quick Reply: RSRs getting creamed at the Roar Before the Rolex