Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Being offered a GT3 RS allocation for 70K over MSRP...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:41 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I have always agreed with IPSE on this one....

If a billionaire wants this car - - he finds one and buys it. He doesn't question whether he will lose the 100k premium.....or if it will make money...it doesn't matter at all.

He finds it - buys it - moves on...

If the 100k premo is enough to make you ask others their advice, you're better off not buying it.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Would it not be the same as when most of us here on RL were asking each other about what different options we should select when we spec'd our GT3's? Everyone was clearly asking others for their opinions, not whether we could afford them or not. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Sfumato
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choice for me was RS or no RS. Period. Pay it of eff off.

Short of fellating several different dealers AND buying crap I don't want, no soup for me. I'd never, ever, paid over msrp for anything, that's why god invented Gentiles.

I've played Ferrari game x19 cars, last was Speciale. Bought at msrp. Tracked. Going rate more than 100 over. New dealer principal is pinche culero. So I'm done.

Bought GT3 msrp. Good car, hadn't had 911 in 20 years. Jaded, wanted more. No offense, but not enough. Not a billionaire here btw.

Tried multiple dealers, most said fo, buy 5 cars I don't want for crushing depreciation, and they MIGHT list me for 0.2.

Offered TTS by local at 5% back. After 6 mos and 2-3k miles, he graciously offered 35k back of my net cost. Still no RS, just a hand job.

So if you have an RS, just say no, or obviously flip it. If you can't pay to get what you want, say no. If you really, really want an RS, wtf are your options?? RS is more than 10% better than GT3. A lot imho, way out where people don't drive. Drove a TTS, '16. Mush. Pitched and dove. 226k, no friggin' paddles, those button things suck. My 11yo commented, he's only been in GT3.

So, I paid up 100. I track my Speciale more than it's washed, as with others. I had the $, wanted it, and bought a little back of market at that. If all these stories of PTS or configurable cars are real, pm me, I'll sell mine at sl loss and buy the cheaper one. I'll still be happier than buying, taxing, and screwing with crap I don't want and losing/spending $ either way. If you don't have the $ it's moot.
Fwiw, I may be fos, yadayada.
L
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Affordability has nothing to do with wanting to get the right spec, best deal, etc. Taking myself out of the equation, I know several Rennlist members that could afford to buy 5 RS cars that still consider price, value, etc. Sorry, the argument that if you ask you can't afford is not my real life experience...
Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Sfumato
AutoX

I've never paid over msrp ever, this was first. But, again, what choice, RS or none?

If it was house in La Jolla that you offered asking and got outbid, would you chase it? If market was 20% back, would you pay msrp, or settle for used if supply same?

Lots of people have the money. Obviously more have desire. I don't see guys here offering their spec allocations they refused to others here for the ethereal 50-75k over either. I'd rather pay one of you guys the spiff plus a quick 5k than a stealer or broker since I wasn't a chosen one.

The principal is galling. A friend bought a new .1 and .2 in Meissen Blue, and didn't get offered a 991 despite expressing interest when first 991's hit in '13. Porsche nor dealer stepped up.

New GT350R's sticker at 65k. Market is 40-50 over. I've got M4 GTS allocation I think, will believe when I spec it. Msrp prob 135k. Would I pay over for my car? Gut says no. But would I do it for upside? Would you guys buy a stock for same reason? If margin was fair, fine. But everyone wants a slice.

If anyone has real, spec order for 50-60k over, I'll work out a fee deal with any offers coming my way. Can't wait for my pm box to overflow

Just in case people think I'm blowing smoke, here's mine I'm happy having.
Name:  photo557.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  230.7 KB
Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfumato
Choice for me was RS or no RS. Period. Pay it of eff off.

Short of fellating several different dealers AND buying crap I don't want, no soup for me. I'd never, ever, paid over msrp for anything, that's why god invented Gentiles.

I've played Ferrari game x19 cars, last was Speciale. Bought at msrp. Tracked. Going rate more than 100 over. New dealer principal is pinche culero. So I'm done.

Bought GT3 msrp. Good car, hadn't had 911 in 20 years. Jaded, wanted more. No offense, but not enough. Not a billionaire here btw.

Tried multiple dealers, most said fo, buy 5 cars I don't want for crushing depreciation, and they MIGHT list me for 0.2.

Offered TTS by local at 5% back. After 6 mos and 2-3k miles, he graciously offered 35k back of my net cost. Still no RS, just a hand job.

So if you have an RS, just say no, or obviously flip it. If you can't pay to get what you want, say no. If you really, really want an RS, wtf are your options?? RS is more than 10% better than GT3. A lot imho, way out where people don't drive. Drove a TTS, '16. Mush. Pitched and dove. 226k, no friggin' paddles, those button things suck. My 11yo commented, he's only been in GT3.

So, I paid up 100. I track my Speciale more than it's washed, as with others. I had the $, wanted it, and bought a little back of market at that. If all these stories of PTS or configurable cars are real, pm me, I'll sell mine at sl loss and buy the cheaper one. I'll still be happier than buying, taxing, and screwing with crap I don't want and losing/spending $ either way. If you don't have the $ it's moot.
Fwiw, I may be fos, yadayada.
L
Yeah you lost me. I only have a state education.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Sfumato
AutoX

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Yeah you lost me. I only have a state education.
Summary: [I paid 100 over for RS. Dealers are asshles and I couldn't get one. I had lots of new Ferraris at sticker. New Fcar dealer owner wants over sticker so I'm done.
If I bought other Porsches they might sell me one. Or not. ]

Crappy post, I was tired, fell asleep, then posted when I got up without proofreading. I abbreviate a lot and try to avoid profanity filters.

Sorry.

Depends on the state btw. You're here so you're far from stupid. I know lots of Ivy League grads that aren't very sharp.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Now I got it. I didn't know what your point was. Well enough said you got a great car and the best color.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just don't like depreciating assets. I only gained money on one car in my life and I held onto it for 17 years so even that was a loss. If I can simply write a check (I'll have to ask the amount!) I can afford one (or two, or three...). But one day, if I am lucky, I am going to be old and not working anymore and I don't like the idea of being penniless in a nursing home. So, I would rather have the money. Simple.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Sfumato is Son of Mooty.. Slightly more unintelligible, slightly more offensive, just as smart.

Last edited by CAlexio; 01-06-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:48 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
With 325k to spend id much sooner get set up in a 991 GT3 AND a 997.1 0or .2 RS. No brainer, best of both worlds, will hold value better than a 991 RS at 125 over. That's just me. My opinion and game plan of I didn't have an RS at sticker.
Or Speciale. At 325k the RS is way way way overpriced. So many cars I'd do before Rs at anything above 225-240k. How about GT3 and a nice 71 HotRod with 3.4 liter custom built RS clone.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Or Speciale. At 325k the RS is way way way overpriced. So many cars I'd do before Rs at anything above 225-240k. How about GT3 and a nice 71 HotRod with 3.4 liter custom built RS clone.
Where can one find a Speciale for 325k?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Sfumato
AutoX

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Sfumato is Son of Mooty.. Just as unintelligible, slightly more offensive.
Hey just when I was gonna say I like it here. Mooty's had way more RS's and is smarter than I. Rude just how I type. Usually.

Speciale is great car. But, it makes people with good credit look like they know what they're doing. Lots of safety nets, and it has to let you max it out. RS like original Carrera RSR. Go for it, but if you're an oaf, call the flatbed. If not? Joy.
I had lots of fun in Speciale, but if you can't get one at msrp (mine was 370 or so), then they're 420-450 for loaded like mine.

RS at sticker close to 80-85% of Speciale at sticker maybe more. So 325 vs 450 at market is an edge for Spec. Agree 450k stupid money for anything to track. Probably 325k too.

Ferrari really not worth premium anymore. I am V12 guy so 200-250k depreciation in 4-7 years is idiotic and is the standard. Last 12 I had was $30/mile just in depreciation.

So I Trakcar it up at 325. 7-8000mi on track. Value drops to sticker (someone would buy it at that, if guess). That's $14-15/mile depreciation. Half of Ferrari's. Try to recover that from a hot rod, and trailer and truck and spares and....

I'm lazy, used to track/build/fix/etc. long ago. Rather spend that time on track or with family than screwing with associated stuff, insurance and storage of truck and trailer. Cost isn't just the car.

My lame justification based in personal experience and a large fortune pissed away. But it was a LOT of fun.

I'll stfu now. My real name should be Stfumato.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:32 PM
goin2drt
Banned

With 325k to spend id much sooner get set up in a 991 GT3 AND a 997.1 0or .2 RS. No brainer, best of both worlds, will hold value better than a 991 RS at 125 over. That's just me. My opinion and game plan of I didn't have an RS at sticker.
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Dead on!!! Enough said, close the thread.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:47 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Just to play devils advocate here - why is $50k to $70k+ over for a used 997 better than $70k over for a 991 RS? Both very highly correlated markets.

What happens to 991 RS values if it's the last NA RS, only NA + PDK RS ever, last rear engined RS, last non-hyrid, potentially last car ever produced called a GT3 RS and not a "GT2 RS" or "GT3 RS Hybrid". I think there are more upside unknowns on the 991 than the 997, and both share very similar downside risks.

997 values might take a hit if the 991R has a 6MT + 4.0 - I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche offers the 991 GT3 RS Aero kit as a $30k option to avoid upsetting current 4.0 owners, so what happens to the 4.0 values then?

You have the same risk when you're trading cars above MSRP, just buy what you want to drive the most and it cost what it cost. If you're not happy with that risk, buy something cheaper...

Quick Reply: Being offered a GT3 RS allocation for 70K over MSRP...