Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who disconnected exhaust valves...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 02:41 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For those who disconnected exhaust valves...

Hello...

Did you simply disconnect and leave hanging?

I'm guessing their vacuum actuated.....? If so I would think its best to cap them off.

Did you leave them disconnected?

It seems that even with the PSE button on they still are closed at lower RPM's as it seems to get really loud around 3500-4000 RPMs. Unless that's just the sound profile of the engine...? This is my first Porsche / flat 6 engine.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-25-2015, 04:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

They are vacuum actuated....you definitely need to plug the lines if you disconnect them. It's also a good idea to put caps on the valves themselves to keep out dust and moisture. Know that with the 991 GT3, unlike previous models, the valves are ECU controlled to optimize torque. I ended up returning them to a stock configuration after about a week.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:11 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, you cap them. The sport exhaust is controlled by the ECU and does close from just above idle to 3700+/-rpms. I had mine disconnected with Sharkwerks but reconnected them with GMG. Don't really like the opening and closing but do like the less sound on the highway. Also I like the that my sport button is functioning.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the GMG and like the valves functional for same reason. Also got the GMG headers and have to say that the car is strong...
Old 12-25-2015, 03:39 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Got it. I understand the back pressure benefitting low end TQ.

I've got the Fabspeed headers, sport cats, and side muffler bypasses with stock center muffler. However, I'd like some more grunt / volume at lower RPM's.

So before I purchase a center muffler bypass I'd like to hear/feel what the disconnected valves are like.

Thanks all.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:30 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just screwed some small screws into the vaccuum lines to cap them.

Money2536 dynoed. No effect on power by disconnecting the valves.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:13 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by calpolo17
I just screwed some small screws into the vaccuum lines to cap them.

Money2536 dynoed. No effect on power by disconnecting the valves.
Gotcha. Thanks Calpolo!
Old 12-25-2015, 10:56 PM
MBDark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharkwerks midsection and I have mine plugged with some machine screws, and little rubber caps, then zip tied out of the way, been great for almost a year now.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:30 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've gone from SW center bypass, reinstalled OEM and removed side mufflers with fab speed bypass all in the quest of noise!!! I plugged and capped the vac lines from day 1. Slightly annoying that the PSE button is defunct now.
I'm sure you've seen the IPE full exhaust system that comes with RC that allows adjustment of valves? You can keep them open, closed or allow the ECU to open/close. I'm considering this option but there are a lot of IPE detractors on RL due to quality issues and a screwed up early dyno run that showed a large HP loss with the exhaust but believe that error has been corrected. Anyway another option/consideration and as always YMMV.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Got it. I understand the back pressure benefitting low end TQ.

I've got the Fabspeed headers, sport cats, and side muffler bypasses with stock center muffler. However, I'd like some more grunt / volume at lower RPM's.

So before I purchase a center muffler bypass I'd like to hear/feel what the disconnected valves are like.

Thanks all.
The disconnected valves are great with sport headers and third muffler bypass. With your setup, bypassing the side mufflers as well, I think it will be unpleasantly loud and likely to drone, with or without vacuum plugging. Just something to consider.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:27 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
The disconnected valves are great with sport headers and third muffler bypass. With your setup, bypassing the side mufflers as well, I think it will be unpleasantly loud and likely to drone, with or without vacuum plugging. Just something to consider.
Thanks Sam. I think it's worth testing as I am looking for louder and whatever drone I have currently doesn't really bother me.

Granted...I have yet to take a long road trip on the highway. Sooooo.......
Old 12-27-2015, 11:01 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

FVD offers T316 steel and Akrapovic Titanium made
much more reliable
Old 12-27-2015, 11:17 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Thanks Sam. I think it's worth testing as I am looking for louder and whatever drone I have currently doesn't really bother me.

Granted...I have yet to take a long road trip on the highway. Sooooo.......
Definitely worth testing. Had my mechanic not talked me out of it 3 or 4 times, I would have done it. I may still try one day so if you do, please report back.

Quick Reply: For those who disconnected exhaust valves...