991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Daily Driver - Grand National?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015 | 04:28 PM
T Bone
Advanced

Default OT: Daily Driver - Grand National?

As only other GT3 owners may understand, I love my GT3 but dang, not a fan of parking next to a woman wolfing down a smoothie in a minivan with crappy kids.

Looking for a Grand National / GNX as a DD, and saving the GT3 from the trials and tributes of parking lots and pot holes. I would be willing to do a full restore if the price is right (and looking at GM parts, it is)

I have limited parking where I live, exactly 2 spots.

Any one have an opinion on the GN / GNX? Previous owners? Out of my mind buying a car that dates back to my high school days?

Opinions welcome.
Old 12-14-2015 | 06:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

You're talking about a late '80's Buick Grand National with the Turbo V6, right? A work buddy bought one new in '87....not much of a handler but very quick in a straight line....almost a throwback to muscle cars of the late '60's and early '70's.

I'm sure it would be a fun DD if you could find a nice one but they have achieved some collector status. One sold recently at auction for over $150K IIRC and most are pushing 6 figures. Nostalgia has a price....
Old 12-14-2015 | 06:07 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

I very nice GNX is probably worth more than your GT3.

A standard GN with a few miles, that would be fun. But... many modern sedans are now faster. Probably even a new(er) E550 is faster.
Old 12-14-2015 | 08:06 PM
tasman
Race Car

Have a friend with GNX with only 6 or 7 miles on it. He is not selling though. Good luck
Old 12-14-2015 | 08:11 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by T Bone
As only other GT3 owners may understand, I love my GT3 but dang, not a fan of parking next to a woman wolfing down a smoothie in a minivan with crappy kids.

Looking for a Grand National / GNX as a DD, and saving the GT3 from the trials and tributes of parking lots and pot holes. I would be willing to do a full restore if the price is right (and looking at GM parts, it is)

I have limited parking where I live, exactly 2 spots.

Any one have an opinion on the GN / GNX? Previous owners? Out of my mind buying a car that dates back to my high school days?

Opinions welcome.
Minivan doors usually slide, so no issue there. The regular Grand National are more plentiful / the GNX I believe was limited to 500 but 547 were built. The GNX will be a very expensive car. Go with the Grand National. FWIW there are no crappy kids, only crappy parents.
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:08 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Get something far more practical than a GN. You'll always worry that your DD is going to fail you. Not sure of your budget and whether you need 4 doors. I've come to the conclusion that any DD should have 4 doors. I learned the hard way with my M4.
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:19 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

For me, a daily should have all the latest, practical creature comforts like heated / ventillated seats, bluetooth, utility, easy egress etc.

I went with a G wagon. Any soccer mom who hits the car runs a greater risk of damaging her minivan than my G and the beefy running boards are pretty good at deflecting door dings.

Last edited by autobahnA8; 12-15-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2015 | 12:32 AM
T Bone
Advanced

Originally Posted by autobahnA8
For me, a daily should have all the latest, practical creature comforts like heated / ventillated seats, bluetooth, utility, easy egress etc.

I went with a G wagon. Any soccer mom who hits the car runs a greater risk of damaging her minivan than my G and the beefy running boards are pretty good at deflecting door dings.
Originally Posted by sgroer
Get something far more practical than a GN. You'll always worry that your DD is going to fail you. Not sure of your budget and whether you need 4 doors. I've come to the conclusion that any DD should have 4 doors. I learned the hard way with my M4.
Thanks... I have all the practicality that I ever want in my Cayenne diesel. Just want something that I loved when I was a kid. I mean, I don't even know if the GN has ABS and it definitely doesn't have airbags. No Nav....

But so easy to mod to get 500+ hp.

Basically I have an angel and devil sitting on both shoulders telling me to do different things. I guess I will continue to do more research.
Old 12-15-2015 | 12:41 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

In that case, get it. You can never have too many cars. And the examples with sentimental value are hard to beat.
Old 12-15-2015 | 02:29 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

for this time period I was in love with the 20th anniversary Trans Am. I believe it had the same engine as the GN, but far better looking.
Old 12-15-2015 | 07:56 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T Bone
Thanks... I have all the practicality that I ever want in my Cayenne diesel. Just want something that I loved when I was a kid. I mean, I don't even know if the GN has ABS and it definitely doesn't have airbags. No Nav....

But so easy to mod to get 500+ hp.

Basically I have an angel and devil sitting on both shoulders telling me to do different things. I guess I will continue to do more research.
In light of you having a Cayenne Diesel, you have room to get whatever the hell you want! Go for it. Just remember the awful things you are doing to the environment every time you turn that key to that Cayenne.

Quick Reply: OT: Daily Driver - Grand National?