Sponsored by:

Big Bro, Little Bro

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:52 AM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Big Bro, Little Bro

Had a chance to compare the GT3 (mine) and GT4 (my friends) back to back. GT4 is a fun car. Engine is great, power that can be used daily. Exhaust sounds are awesome, handling is quick, not nearly as stiff as the GT3. LWBs are great for 30 min, any longer and my back would explode. The manual has short throws, the clutch is a tad on the heavy side. Overall a better DD than the GT3, but doesn't feel as special.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Interesting you think the GT4 is a better daily driver than the GT3. What makes you say it is a better daily? In the past most people would complain about the heavy clutch or the manual shifting for a daily driver. The PDK would win this scenario. To me the GT4 is a great car but I would have though the opposite would be said about which is a better daily.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Interesting you think the GT4 is a better daily driver than the GT3. What makes you say it is a better daily? In the past most people would complain about the heavy clutch or the manual shifting for a daily driver. The PDK would win this scenario. To me the GT4 is a great car but I would have though the opposite would be said about which is a better daily.
It probably has more to do with where I live than the car itself. I live in LA and I don't get to rev the GT3 to 9K often. Hard to get to the limits of the GT3 while living in a congested metro area. The GT4 is fun since the manual allows you to play with it even in low revs. Both are fun cars and I don't use my GT3 as a DD. I'd still buy the GT3 over the GT4 since it feels special every time I start it up.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

When you have to go the speed limit on reasonably crowded streets, or are traveling on LA streets that hardly allow any fun in the first place, the GT3 is no good. At low RPM / low speed, you don't have the car's excellent dynamics (braking, cornering, engine screaming) to distract your attention from the engine vibration, poor exhaust sound at low rpm, lack of sound deadening, taut suspension, general discomfort, etc. The car is just not fun unless you're breaking the law, or have an open road to reach the speed limit in the most expedient fashion. I haven't driven the GT4, but I can see how it could be a better car for Los Angeles. The irony - my previous "supercar" McLaren 12C was my only car and it excelled at everything I threw at it, but after just a few weeks, I am quickly learning that I don't want the 991 GT3 to be my only car.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:36 PM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMGT3
It probably has more to do with where I live than the car itself. I live in LA and I don't get to rev the GT3 to 9K often. Hard to get to the limits of the GT3 while living in a congested metro area. The GT4 is fun since the manual allows you to play with it even in low revs. Both are fun cars and I don't use my GT3 as a DD. I'd still buy the GT3 over the GT4 since it feels special every time I start it up.
Totally agree with this assessment you can actually enjoy the GT4 on the streets more whereas the GT3 needs to be breaking speed limits to truly enjoy and experience the car.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

^Hence why I grabbed a GT4 allocation for May production. I only drive on the streets for spirited weekend drives plus I love manuals. Not sure I can part with the GT3 but will cross the bridge when we get there
Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
When you have to go the speed limit on reasonably crowded streets, or are traveling on LA streets that hardly allow any fun in the first place, the GT3 is no good. At low RPM / low speed, you don't have the car's excellent dynamics (braking, cornering, engine screaming) to distract your attention from the engine vibration, poor exhaust sound at low rpm, lack of sound deadening, taut suspension, general discomfort, etc. The car is just not fun unless you're breaking the law, or have an open road to reach the speed limit in the most expedient fashion. I haven't driven the GT4, but I can see how it could be a better car for Los Angeles. The irony - my previous "supercar" McLaren 12C was my only car and it excelled at everything I threw at it, but after just a few weeks, I am quickly learning that I don't want the 991 GT3 to be my only car.
Agreed...

This will probably bring on the hate but I think McLaren builds much better candidates for "only cars". I seriously enjoy the GT3 on the track but have never understood peoples' appreciation for it as a DD or road car. As much as I hate traffic, bad drivers and potholes, driving the McLaren on the street is always a treat. Not so for me in the GT3. And, dare I say it, the Macca is stunningly capable on the track too. OK, it's a different price point and Porsche builds other models... but... geeze the McLaren is nice.

With that said, I still like my GT3 so much I'll likely never give it up. And I'm even considering a GT4... can't get the thought of an ED with one followed by summers in the CO mountains with it. But never as an "only car". JMHO
Old 12-14-2015, 03:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In that 3rd pic it really shows a comparison of the sizes. I realize the angle the pic was taken at is a bit misleading, but the 4 doesn't really look that much smaller.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice trees.

On topic, look at pic # 3. Hell, look at every pic. With extreme prejudice, Porsche needs to fire their body designers. Every last one of them. Aesthetically, every current Porsche sports car, save for the 918, is too much like the 911, of which there are already, what, 20-ish variants? Jeremy was right.

Keep the engineers, though.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:34 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by bronson7
In that 3rd pic it really shows a comparison of the sizes. I realize the angle the pic was taken at is a bit misleading, but the 4 doesn't really look that much smaller.
The cabin in the GT3 feels much larger, the GT4 feels cozy. Since the engine is right behind the seats in the GT4 it doesn't have the greenhouse feel as in the GT3. Side by side they are pretty much the same size, though the GT4 feels and drives smaller.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I can not decide which one is better looking. Look very similar but different enough if that makes sense. Basically - The GT4 is a mid-engine GT3 with a Manual, different wing and tail lights but the front looks very similar and the size looks very close to being equal which is a little surprising
Old 12-14-2015, 06:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SMGT3
The cabin in the GT3 feels much larger, the GT4 feels cozy. Since the engine is right behind the seats in the GT4 it doesn't have the greenhouse feel as in the GT3. Side by side they are pretty much the same size, though the GT4 feels and drives smaller.
This comment is spot on!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
Agreed...

This will probably bring on the hate but I think McLaren builds much better candidates for "only cars". I seriously enjoy the GT3 on the track but have never understood peoples' appreciation for it as a DD or road car. As much as I hate traffic, bad drivers and potholes, driving the McLaren on the street is always a treat. Not so for me in the GT3. And, dare I say it, the Macca is stunningly capable on the track too. OK, it's a different price point and Porsche builds other models... but... geeze the McLaren is nice.

With that said, I still like my GT3 so much I'll likely never give it up. And I'm even considering a GT4... can't get the thought of an ED with one followed by summers in the CO mountains with it. But never as an "only car". JMHO
How??

Every car I've ever owned served as a DD at some point - 993, 997 GT3, 991 GT3 - and the 991 is almost too plush for daily duty IMO. It gets dull. Fortunately it blends in and the general public doesn't really notice it. Not so with a McLaren
Old 12-14-2015, 06:12 PM
slm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a McLaren, GT3 and just got a GT4. I really like the GT4, but...

The GT3 is much more enjoyable and more capable to me. Better engine sound. great accleration. Cabin materials and layout are similar, but GT3 does feel much larger. I have wanted to like the GT4 more. It is a great car! Feels light. Nice 6 speed transmission. Handles well. Compared to the other 2 in the garage, I just did not get my interest. Decided to trade it for a Targa GTS - need an open top car.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
991 is almost too plush for daily duty IMO
This would make nearly every new car on the market too plush - you haven't driven enough cars to make such a statement.

Spend 12k miles behind the wheel of a McLaren 12C/650S and nearly every sports car won't be plush enough when you want to be isolated.

Quick Reply: Big Bro, Little Bro