Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Track Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 991 GT3 Track Impressions

Got to Sebring with Chin this weekend. This was my first track event in the 991 and first event in 5 years (soccer games, work...) Car is completely stock with PCCBs.

So this car is unbelievable. It's just astonishing really. Everything worked very well in every respect straight from the factory (even the alignment). Specifics:
1) PDK - really very fun and precise, big improvement in technology. Amazing and almost prescient in it's ability to hit shifts perfectly in auto, but I was a little faster shifting myself (like short-shifting in collier).
2) PCCBs - very impressed, I hammered on brakes all weekend with no fade whatsoever, though braking was one area where I was a little easier on the car (street car with street belts - just being careful). Still tons of pad left after two full days.
3) steering - very precise, those complaining are just looking for something to complain about. If you were blinded to what car you were in you wouldn't be able to tell the steering isn't from a 997.
4) understeer - gone, literally, just gone. There's none.
5) rear steer - couldn't really feel anything specific other than that the car is much more stable than a 997 while trail-braking.
6) electronics - almost completely non-invasive. I got the sense that the electronics were "predicting" and correcting early rather than reacting to rotations. In any case, you don't feel much when it decides to help you, which has never happened to me. it's a little weird - you get ready to countersteer based on feel, and it just doesn't break lose (no funny abs noises or jerky motions). I was faster with it off, so it must have been cutting a bit of power here and there.
7) handling - this is the first 911 that just does what you want it to do. You don't have to drive around flaws like understeer or snap oversteer when trail braking. When it does break loose, it's progressive and easy to catch. Yet you can still place the car with the throttle when needed.
8) engine - 9,000 RPMs - it just completely spoils you. The sound, the power, the flexibility - incredible.

I drove my buddy's new Viper GTS - amazing car for a viper - great brakes, predictable, stable handling, gobs of power.

But it felt like technology from 15 years ago next to the GT3.

I can't think of anything to improve on the GT3 - It does everything you want. I would probably ditch the centerlocks for a car this track friendly. They are just a little inconvenient and still make me a bit nervous.

In simple terms, Porsche has used amazing technologies to enhance the driving experience rather than replace the driver (which is more like how the GTR feels - you just plant the gas and it will sort the traction itself). If you like to drive, it would be impossible not to like this car.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:21 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good review.
Several GT3's and Cup cars at Sebring this weekend. I was on my way over on Fri. PM when engine fault light came on. Got the car to Suncoast and the thermostat was gone. No replacement in stock, so put the GT3 in the garage and took the Panamera Turbo. it was a a blast especially the night session Sat.
Enjoy your new ride
Old 12-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustycat
Good review.
Several GT3's and Cup cars at Sebring this weekend. I was on my way over on Fri. PM when engine fault light came on. Got the car to Suncoast and the thermostat was gone. No replacement in stock, so put the GT3 in the garage and took the Panamera Turbo. it was a a blast especially the night session Sat.
Enjoy your new ride
black? Looked like you were having fun. I think the panamera turbo would be the perfect car and driver "one lap" car.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:18 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
black? Looked like you were having fun. I think the panamera turbo would be the perfect car and driver "one lap" car.
Basalt black. It was fun, slinging that 4800lbs. around the track.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:25 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustycat
Good review.
Enjoy your new ride
Nice Driving! You passed my student in his new GT4. Took him a few sessions until he got the hang of driving it. I drove my Silver GT3 with Gold Stripes and Crawford Wing on Saturday. As usual, the Chin Driving Events are always great
and strike the Best (IMHO) Balance between Safety and Fun for DE participants.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:36 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Got to Sebring with Chin this weekend. This was my first track event in the 991 and first event in 5 years (soccer games, work...) Car is completely stock with PCCBs.

So this car is unbelievable. It's just astonishing really. Everything worked very well in every respect straight from the factory (even the alignment). Specifics:
1) PDK - really very fun and precise, big improvement in technology. Amazing and almost prescient in it's ability to hit shifts perfectly in auto, but I was a little faster shifting myself (like short-shifting in collier).
2) PCCBs - very impressed, I hammered on brakes all weekend with no fade whatsoever, though braking was one area where I was a little easier on the car (street car with street belts - just being careful). Still tons of pad left after two full days.
3) steering - very precise, those complaining are just looking for something to complain about. If you were blinded to what car you were in you wouldn't be able to tell the steering isn't from a 997.
4) understeer - gone, literally, just gone. There's none.
5) rear steer - couldn't really feel anything specific other than that the car is much more stable than a 997 while trail-braking.
6) electronics - almost completely non-invasive. I got the sense that the electronics were "predicting" and correcting early rather than reacting to rotations. In any case, you don't feel much when it decides to help you, which has never happened to me. it's a little weird - you get ready to countersteer based on feel, and it just doesn't break lose (no funny abs noises or jerky motions). I was faster with it off, so it must have been cutting a bit of power here and there.
7) handling - this is the first 911 that just does what you want it to do. You don't have to drive around flaws like understeer or snap oversteer when trail braking. When it does break loose, it's progressive and easy to catch. Yet you can still place the car with the throttle when needed.
8) engine - 9,000 RPMs - it just completely spoils you. The sound, the power, the flexibility - incredible.

I drove my buddy's new Viper GTS - amazing car for a viper - great brakes, predictable, stable handling, gobs of power.

But it felt like technology from 15 years ago next to the GT3.

I can't think of anything to improve on the GT3 - It does everything you want. I would probably ditch the centerlocks for a car this track friendly. They are just a little inconvenient and still make me a bit nervous.

In simple terms, Porsche has used amazing technologies to enhance the driving experience rather than replace the driver (which is more like how the GTR feels - you just plant the gas and it will sort the traction itself). If you like to drive, it would be impossible not to like this car.
Totally agree with your comments. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:17 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't think of anything to improve on the GT3 - It does everything you want.
The RS actually does that!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

Needs more rear downforce and stability when braking from high speed
Old 12-15-2015, 02:42 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great review, now we just need some videos
Old 12-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Needs more rear downforce and stability when braking from high speed
Agree!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:29 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Nice Driving! You passed my student in his new GT4. Took him a few sessions until he got the hang of driving it. I drove my Silver GT3 with Gold Stripes and Crawford Wing on Saturday. As usual, the Chin Driving Events are always great
and strike the Best (IMHO) Balance between Safety and Fun for DE participants.
Thanks, I remember that car.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:07 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=FastLaneTurbo
the Chin Driving Events are always great
and strike the Best (IMHO) Balance between Safety and Fun for DE participants.[/QUOTE]

+1 , this event sold out a while back , top notch group of drivers and fun
Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
+1 , this event sold out a while back , top notch group of drivers and fun
Hi Deacon,
We missed you. Crazy weekend 5 black flags and 2 reds over the two days and one night.
All in Blue and Red. Thank God no one was hurt.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Wait, your PCCBs didn't turn to dust the minute you pulled on the track?....
Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Rusty Cat, Thanks ; ouch two reds not good , guess I better refrain from offering an opinion on caliber ;
See you next month ;
I had an oral surgeon student from Orlando with a Panamera @ Sebring totally impressive chatten
around T-1 ; especially fun for me as a surviving throat cancer person to give him my all in .

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Track Impressions