Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Track Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:47 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I'll join those in the understeer camp; only I go out and say it's a pig with stock alignment and bars. With plenty of camber and full stiff rear bar, full soft front, much more neutral. Cpuld be in part how I drive, as I am not a Porsche guy and more often drive front or mid-engine cars on track.

However, everything else is brilliant. Cooling, brakes, overall grip, and overall feel inspires confidence and very strong lap times.
I am a Porsche guy and I can get everything to understeer (lots of early throttle is my style), but it is an understeering pig in stock form ultimately (I guess I was being polite in my earlier post). I'm sure that is by design for as-delivered spec. I did not try to tweak anything in the limited time I was tracking mine in Europe.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

I typically try to carry more speed into corners and trailbrake a lot, even with mid- and front-engine cars. So I didn't find the understeer of the 991 GT3 in stock form to be too bad, which further illustrates that perhaps the balance of a car can't be judged without accounting for driving style.

Also, FWIW, my 991 GT3 has a track setup with alignment numbers that aren't far from factory numbers, but some other things have been done (that I'm not fully aware of) which actually made the car too loose overall for my liking. Moving the front bar from middle to full stiff brought the car closer to a balance I like, in addition to making the front of the car feel more responsive overall, working better with stiffer damper setting, taking a set sooner, and letting me put the power down better once the car has taken a set.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:31 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to have missed the Sebring CHIN event. I had it on my track calendar, but was waiting for my cylinder issue to get resolved. Hope to get there next year.

I'm in the camp that agrees about too much stock understeer, and adding the Crawford wing only made it worse. Trail braking helps in most turns, but not with big high speed sweepers. A soft front bar and some additional rake have dialed out nearly all the understeer in my setup, so I've got no complaints at this point. As a point of reference, I drove a friend's stock GT3 at Road Atlanta after mine broke down and I couldn't believe the difference. Turn in wasn't nearly as good, and it even felt a bit loose, with more lateral weight transfer than what I had gotten used to. My car is a bit lower than stock, so I'm sure that is helping. Quite frankly, I'm surprised how many positive comments there are about the stock setup, because the differences with my setup seemed to be night and day.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rm21
Sorry to have missed the Sebring CHIN event. I had it on my track calendar, but was waiting for my cylinder issue to get resolved. Hope to get there next year.

I'm in the camp that agrees about too much stock understeer, and adding the Crawford wing only made it worse. Trail braking helps in most turns, but not with big high speed sweepers. A soft front bar and some additional rake have dialed out nearly all the understeer in my setup, so I've got no complaints at this point. As a point of reference, I drove a friend's stock GT3 at Road Atlanta after mine broke down and I couldn't believe the difference. Turn in wasn't nearly as good, and it even felt a bit loose, with more lateral weight transfer than what I had gotten used to. My car is a bit lower than stock, so I'm sure that is helping. Quite frankly, I'm surprised how many positive comments there are about the stock setup, because the differences with my setup seemed to be night and day.
Very interesting. Your car certainly felt good from the right seat. When you rode with me, my car didn't have my current setup; it had been supposedly returned to factory alignment, but apparently that wasn't done correctly and toe settings were off.

If I can make down south for a Chin event, I'll let you know. Not sure I can go until March without doing any track driving!
Old 12-18-2015, 01:59 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So as you can see, not only was he dissing my driving skills at Road Atlanta, he was dissing my car too.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:21 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
So as you can see, not only was he dissing my driving skills at Road Atlanta, he was dissing my car too.
Ha! At the rate you're learning, you'll be driving at Le Mans in a few years.

The car issues will be easily addressed once you get your track alignment.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
I didn't see any dissing of your driving skills, but he definitely says your car sucks.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:35 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I didn't see any dissing of your driving skills, but he definitely says your car sucks.
Oh, he was dissing my driving skills at the track. I had a bum instructor with the initials of RM who told me to jam on the brake as hard as I could and just mash on the gas. He said that smooth inputs are for wussies.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:58 AM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Totally agree with your comments. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!
With Porsche's you love your car it will love you back. And that's the darned truth! Yet you have to know how to stroke it for the older model's were more than happy to come back around and bite you if you don't know what you were doing. Porsche has took a lot of that out of the car over the years. You know you're a master if you're racing a 930 Turbo at 10 out of 10.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:05 AM
The New 911
Pro

Ha! At the rate you're learning, you'll be driving at Le Mans in a few years.

The car issues will be easily addressed once you get your track alignment.
Like that Train Conductor from Grey's Anatomy Patrick Dempsey! With that it seem's all you need is a little instruction and a sh!T3 load of money. Also helps if you have Patrick Long driving with you.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:30 AM
The New 911
Pro

Delete
Old 12-20-2015, 05:05 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
I have 2 Pcars and both have PCCBs. They are great on track. Your driving style will have a lot to do with how the brakes and rotors wear. I drive at about 7-8/10's and generally not hard on the brakes. Others who are diving into every corner trying to squeeze out the last few seconds on a lap are more likely to experience more significant wear.

I always recommend getting the PCCBs for the sole reason that you are getting them at huge discount. For example, Suncoast is now selling replacement PCCB rotors for the 2011 Boxster Spyder at $9800 ea for the fronts and $9000 each for the rears. Considering that the PCCBs were a $8150 option when the car was ordered that equates to a 77% discount! Also consider that the new PCCBs on the GT3 are the same as those on the 918. Doesn't it make sense to be able to buy the same brakes as a $1m Porsche for $9210? And remember you can always switch them out if you are a 9-10/10's driver...
Correction: Suncoast prices are for a set not per corner. Still a 57% savings.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Track Impressions