Sponsored by:

Porsche - no tradition left?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 11:40 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche - no tradition left?

a bit of a rant.... actually for Porsche.

i don't understand this no tradition left stuff. Porsche just won LeMan, WEC, and Tudor championships, both classes. They just added to the Tradition of the brand, not taken from it. as technology moves on, gets more sophisticated, its only logical that the street cars share that tech. i think that has opened the brand up to many more people that desire a Porsche because even they can drive one, fortunately or unfortunately. Yes its hurt the long term faithfuls ability to acquire the hard core examples, I was one of them that bitched until the call came. But i think its because the cars are so damn good. Dare I say I like my 991 more than my 996 Cup. I know that blasphemy but i cannot help feeling that way. Maybe its skill level need for the older cars, but thats somewhat of a empty argument. How many have the ability to take a 991 to the limit (i don't). A modern motocross bike is way easier to ride than say a 70's 501 Maico but the modern bike I think takes more skill to extract 100%. I think the old saying is true to some degree, whats the best Porsche? the next one. With all that said I would love a wide body 914-6. Cheers.

Last edited by hughp3; 12-13-2015 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-14-2015, 03:16 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All makes sense. I continue to enjoy all the latest and greatest. At times when trying to figure PORSCHE out, things do get mudled.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:41 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree. Even though I am partial to 911s and love any Porche race car, and add the GT4 racing machine to what I expect will be highly competitve, not to mention a substantial and cool looking street ride. Just hoping what seems like many new varients recently doesn't water down the brand.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Some people like the latest and greatest and some like history and tradition. Brands with long established reputations for quality attract people with a bias towards tradition. They get upset if they interpret a migration from some historical standard (which they usually define). The stronger and longer the brand loyalty, the more changes (any change really) upset traditionalists. Traditionalists hated the 911 over the 356 and then they hated the SC and the 964... God forbid you water cool a porsche or use PASM. PDK is just this years version of water cooling.

Tradition is vital to a brand (remember when they tried to replace the 911 with a 928 and everyone freaked?), so the company has to figure out how to evolve without changing too much (the 911 engine is still in the rear but the GT3 has PDK).
Old 12-14-2015, 06:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I wonder when the FI 488 was announced if the Ferrari Forums lit up like a roman candles. Now they are ecstatic with what an accomplishment the 488 is. I think we are hard on Porsche because, in general, "people fear change". It is a fact of life but if that change moves the Brand forward and one gets on board; it becomes a fun ride
Old 12-14-2015, 06:55 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I wonder when the FI 488 was announced if the Ferrari Forums lit up like a roman candles. Now they are ecstatic with what an accomplishment the 488 is. I think we are hard on Porsche because, in general, "people fear change". It is a fact of life but if that change moves the Brand forward and one gets on board; it becomes a fun ride
The guys on Fchat seem to be about 1/3 against and 2/3 for.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Elliott_775
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really couldn't agree more! I have been racing MX since I was at the ripe age of 8 (30 now). Back when we raced the 90's bikes and even early 2000's they took alot more skill to actually go fast. Now days kids can jump on a fuel injected four stroke and be really competitive in no time. I kind of have mixed feelings about it because I spent the majority of my childhood sharpening my skill set to really haul *** on a 2-stk and win races. Every damn kid and their brother can haul *** now with little to no effort.

rant over sorry
Elliott-
Old 12-15-2015, 01:48 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I know that time moves on and things change, but some of us have already tried the turbo thing and got it out of our system without wanting to go back. Good thing there will be used cars that will scratch that NA itch.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:59 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
The guys on Fchat seem to be about 1/3 against and 2/3 for.
That's my take as well.

Bummer, because it will take a bit longer for 458 prices to fall than I would like, as I'm waiting to buy and keep a 458 spider in 2-3 years.

I just missed ordering a 458 spider new. If I can't spec it myself, I'm not going to buy one right when they should be in the sharpest part of the depreciation curve.

Used 458 inventory is piling up all around the country as people wait for their 488s to arrive, but 458 prices aren't falling that much, particularly in comparison to the 430 when the 458 came out.

Quick Reply: Porsche - no tradition left?