Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs PDK-S on track

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015 | 11:56 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Default PDK vs PDK-S on track

I realize this is old news for most, but after reading about the differences between these two transmissions, I finally got to try them on track, on consecutive days. I couldn't believe that software change could make such a difference, but it's true:

Two weekends ago, got to drive the GT3RS among other cars at AMP. the PDK-S in the gt3rs is definitely fast shifting and smooth, but much more impressively to me, it's perfectly intuitive, and doesn't kick down. I was absolutely shocked at how telepathic the shifting was when left in automatic, using the manual function seemed silly. The fact that it doesn't kick down though is critical on track, it gives a sense of control when in manual mode, and goes to redline in automatic.. You can control the shift timing with the throttle and the car never surprises you.

The following day, we moved down to the Porsche experience center for some fun there, and I drove a 911 GTS equipped with PDK around the loop. This was an incredibly frustrating experience as the car kicked down at the most inopportune times, when you go to squeeze on the throttle coming out of a long fast turn, instead of holding the gear, it would seem to kick down then realize it made a mistake and instantly go back up to the higher gear. I have a video friend took of this happening,
https://youtu.be/c2y-UNm24KE

Having experienced both of these, I don't understand why Porsche doesn't just make the PDK-S the standard automatic transmission option, if somebody doesn't want to manual. I don't think I would ever order a sports car with standard PDK, maybe a Panamera, but it sucks the life out the 911. The PDK-S on the other hand is perfectly suited to the GT3rs.

As a sidenote, I didn't like the transmission on the 458 Speciale as much as PDK-S we had on hand on the first day. Aside from the fact that I could never find the paddles, as they are column mounted, The transmission did not feel as smooth as the PDK-S, and it definitely was not intuitive in the same way. When left in automatic mode it also hunted around in strange ways. This highlighted to me how Porsche really got it right with the PDK-S.

Very revealing, world of difference.

Last edited by CAlexio; 12-13-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Yup, i never could have imagined how good it is. Still have a GT4 coming but I think that after I have driven both on familiar tracks this coming year I will prefer PDKS. I hope I'm wrong....
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I believe the difference is more than software.

Also, what makes the PDK-S fantastic at high speeds (like on a track) can make it feel like the car is broken driven at normal (like on a street) speeds.

So putting the PDK-S in a 911 Carrera would probably turn off a majority of the potential buyers.
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yup, i never could have imagined how good it is. Still have a GT4 coming but I think that after I have driven both on familiar tracks this coming year I will prefer PDKS. I hope I'm wrong....
I believe for the track PDK-S will now always be preferred because it is so good and you will have better lap times than over a manual. But for the street Manual will always be preferred if you a re a "manual" guy
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Also, what makes the PDK-S fantastic at high speeds (like on a track) can make it feel like the car is broken driven at normal (like on a street) speeds.

So putting the PDK-S in a 911 Carrera would probably turn off a majority of the potential buyers.
u are totally right

buddy, i told ya.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I believe for the track PDK-S will now always be preferred because it is so good and you will have better lap times than over a manual. But for the street Manual will always be preferred if you a re a "manual" guy
true, this is why air cooled is up up up in price. pdks on track. aircooled on street and with pre 964 cars, you can't even drink coffee while driving. you need three hands to muscle the non assisted str
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:06 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

For the RS owners, any difference in feel for PDK-S between GT3 and RS? I seem to recall some comments a while back that RS felt different (faster?)

Mooty, you make we want to get my G50 back. Would be perfect pair with 991 3/RS.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

What mode did you have the standard PDK car in? Normal, Sport, or Sport Plus?
Same with the PDK-S - normal or Sport?

The standard PDK in 'sport plus' mode isn't bad and is probably the best automated mode for track use. Can't really use 'sport plus' on the street though.

PDK-S for me is clearly better in every way. Even using 'sport' mode on the street is fine. It seems like the PDK-S software adapts more readily to your current driving style. Those German boffins really got this one right.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I think you're right, ipse. While we GT3 owners appreciate the "can of bolts" sound that PDK-S makes at low speeds, I think many 991 buyers would be put off by it and wonder what was wrong with the gearbox.

I also agree with Alex that the no kick-down feature of PDK-S is a big plus. There should be a way for Porsche to combine the civility of a normal PDK box with an extra mode that eliminates kick-down when desired.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

But they fixed it now I the .2 carerra's more settings right?
I agree 2 settings not enough.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:58 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
What mode did you have the standard PDK car in? Normal, Sport, or Sport Plus?
Same with the PDK-S - normal or Sport?
This is an important question. If the 991 GTS wasn't equipped with sports chrono, then the best and only track option would be Sport, which isn't ideal for the track. The Sport Plus setting is intended for track use. (Sports Plus setting is only available if you pay extra for sports chrono package on regular 911s)

If the GTS had sports chrono option and the PDK was set to Sport Plus, and it was still that bad on the track, then there is more of a gaping difference in track performance between a 911 with PDK and a GT3/RS with PDK-S
Old 12-13-2015 | 02:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

But they fixed it now I the .2 carerra's more settings right?
I agree 2 settings not enough.
I've read through the catalog on the .2. They've added more performance modes and changed the direction of upshifts/downshifts on the console lever to make it match the GT3/RS but there is nothing specific I can find about a "no kick-down" mode. I assume the 911S that Alex drove was a 991.1 but maybe someone else knows about the new one.
Old 12-13-2015 | 02:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Yea was the current (991.1) gts.
Old 12-13-2015 | 03:06 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yea was the current (991.1) gts.
do you know if the GTS was set in sports plus?

Was there a clock in the middle of the dashboard, but close to the windshield? (only present if regular 911 has sports chrono option)
Old 12-13-2015 | 05:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drifting
do you know if the GTS was set in sports plus?

Was there a clock in the middle of the dashboard, but close to the windshield? (only present if regular 911 has sports chrono option)
I have to be honest in saying I don't remember if it had sport chrono. Would that have stopped the auto kick-down?
Old 12-13-2015 | 05:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I have to be honest in saying I don't remember if it had sport chrono. Would that have stopped the auto kick-down?
No.

Quick Reply: PDK vs PDK-S on track