Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using "Paddle Neutral" function to improve their lines on road and track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015 | 08:43 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

PTV+ apparently does more to slow down PDK Porsches than ESC/TC. Unfortunately, it can't be switched off whereas in a manual it can. This was what I was by someone who sits on the standard setting board for PCA club racing based on their analysis of many hours of data.

Last edited by NateOZ; 12-11-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-2015 | 08:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Well, maybe hooligan mode is enough of a reason. my comment about running with nannies on/off is that in that case my car control or self awareness actually keeps me below the threshold of making mistakes in the car. I am always ESC/TCS off in all cars except the P1 even on the street and definitely even with the P1, Viper and 675LT I am ESC off etc on track. Running my race cars on slicks with zero TC you have to develop the feel to know when you are pushing too hard- it allows me to be more patient with myself because I inch up to the limits. With street cars on road legal tires, (pirelli, michelin, etc) when you are on the track you can hear which layer of tread you're sliding on by the pitch of the noise. The various layers of rubber make different noises as they peel away from inside edge towards the outside edge. This allows you to basically hop into a brand new car and know what kind of side load/lateral G or slip angle the car can handle without fully spinning and breaking loose.
If you revert to my Dec 2013 ED with GT3 in Europe you'll find a number of comments I made at the time about how the ESC would not activate till I had at least 1m or more sideways movement. I even posted a fairly obvious video of it happening when I was running some back roads in Italy at a fair pace and I hit some moss. It was first time I got ESC working on the road although it happened on some snow and black ice latter (I had MPSC2 on the car). Having had a fair bit of experience with the systems limits inEuro winter when I got the car to NZ and the engine was replaced it wS middle of winter. First track session in the car with cold tyres I set a PB for the track. My 993RS spec has no nannies at all and is very quick for its class so it used to operating without. The ESC calibration on the GT3/RS is so generous I cannot see anyone who is proficient ending it on a dry track unless they hit oil/water or over cook a corner.

All my Euro videos are still on YouTube.

I will try and get Manu to chime in. He has a brace of cars from La Ferrari to 300sl and has run his 458 Speciale, 991 GT3 and LaFa extensively at tracks in Europe making some lap times us mere mortals will weep at. He may shed some light on Hooligan Mode :-)
Old 12-11-2015 | 08:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

For fun. P.S. Wife's hands tent to elevate off her lap at 150kmph+. There is a tell tale of correction a few corners before the bigger moment. ESC showed there too. Ambient was less than 5c (even though the morning sun has risen). The wifes hand becomes a bitch slap shortly after the vide is cut. Which is why she stayed in teh hotel when I went for 500km forays into Alpes de Martitime s& Route Napoleon and could get a bit more speed and occasional "moments" without repercussions LOL!

Bit off topic I know. Im not a pro driver but IMO and from those I have talked to who have tracked the car ESC/TC is a non event on or off for a quick lap time.

Old 12-11-2015 | 09:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here is Manus comments on the 991 GT3 TC/ESC in direct response to my question on the subject.

He is someone I don't think any of us could argue is beyond all but pro levels of driving capability with the car.

" I use Shocks in Hard.

Trofeo R I use them 2.1 in front and 2.3 in the back, never lower.

The traction control on the GT3 is perfect, on normal tracks you can keep it on, at the Nordschleife you can keep and it till a quite fast lap.

When you want to be just 1 second faster or less (at the Ring) you try to get the better feeling possible, sometimes with TC on it cuts power because there is a bump or you have too much steering angle, with it OFF instead it doesn't move in those places.
So I prefer to switch it off for those few places where you can be 0.5 sec slower"

here is the thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=6980

I think we got off topic. I agree I cant see any advantages to letting the clutch in on turn in in a toght 2nd gear (40mph) corner at the track myself, however I witnessed being used as a fairly effective technique (nt saying it was faster, possibly was slower) hence I asked the question and it would appear none of us have really played with it on the track so it could be something to play with.

P.S. It could be a useful feature to use in SprtAuto to "coast" a little before brakes into a corner at the end of a straight. There is one track I have to use MT in this exact situation as otherwise as soon as I come off the gas at the end of the straight (140mph) the car changes down a geat automatically and slows me. The corner Im approaching is a 55-60mph hairpin with 8 degree banking positive camber (I have a video I can post). I dont want t be accelerating for the last 170m before the corner but neither do I want to be on the brakes just yet (late - maybe 60m because of the banking you can hold alot of speed and the corner is deep s has large error room). Maybe it would work well here in SportAuto. Although MT works well for this anyhow...

Quick Reply: Who is using "Paddle Neutral" function to improve their lines on road and track?