Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using "Paddle Neutral" function to improve their lines on road and track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Come on - everyone knows that this feature was only created so you can scare outdoor restaurant patrons as you creep by.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

I use it to flame my petrol-head buddies when driving past their houses.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I used it to get to the pit when it ran out of fuel, but than you sit there like an idiot unable to let go and put the car in N...
Old 12-11-2015, 02:38 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone needs to make a pedal on the floor and have the function available there too!!!! LOL
Old 12-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I don't know if I could master it but I'll try it.

As for running with driver aids off, for me it is substantially faster. I find that the car and I correct at cross purposes with everything on so I actually end up more out of shape when my correction is opposite lock and the car grabs a caliper and cuts power. Now I might be able to really be super duper smooth and gentle, but right now I'd say it's probably over .5 sec per mile I lose with ESC/TC. YMMV
Old 12-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

I've only played with it....boy-racer throttle blips....and, like Macca, once in a while to smooth downshifts when coming to a stop. I haven't had a situation autocrossing where I thought it might help but maybe will try it out next season just for grins.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use it to approach speed bumps with lift or stop n go traffic. Not quite hooning.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:10 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It brings new meaning to "BOTH FEET IN"

so now it's ONE FOOT AND BOTH PADDLES IN

It's the dance I try and avoid at the Ball
Old 12-11-2015, 07:25 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Even the most seasoned track veterans on this board have been driving the car with ESC/TC on.
i was interested to read this, i have only completed 12 track days so far, relying on the protection afforded by the nannies but i had assuming the track veterans would be running with ESC/TC off.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
i was interested to read this, i have only completed 12 track days so far, relying on the protection afforded by the nannies but i had assuming the track veterans would be running with ESC/TC off.
From what I can tell you have to get pretty out of shape before nannies
kick in , I'm sure there other opinions that there controlling brakes and power without ones perception
Old 12-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I'm basing this on those on this board I keep regular with on track work with the 991 GT3. Manifold, Joe, Peter etc plus a number of European track junkies such a Philgv, Manuel etc. I've studied my in car footage and the wheel speed traces from the Aim telemetry in my own car and can say the only time ESC/TC kicks in is in the wet or when I do something dumb. I don't see myself saving any time at my local track with it off and have kept it off for a few sessions to compare. I'd leave it off more often but for the fact it's another series of buttons to remember to push. However in order to experiment a bit with paddle neutral I'll definitely leave it off next time.

I don't think paddle neutral will have a benefit to my times at the track as its a messy way to get through a corner but I was curious if others had used the feature as in early launch media there was much talked about "hooligan mode" but not much since. Can't see why they incorporated it as a special function of PDK-S if it doesn't have a reason.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:57 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Well, maybe hooligan mode is enough of a reason. my comment about running with nannies on/off is that in that case my car control or self awareness actually keeps me below the threshold of making mistakes in the car. I am always ESC/TCS off in all cars except the P1 even on the street and definitely even with the P1, Viper and 675LT I am ESC off etc on track.

Running my race cars on slicks with zero TC you have to develop the feel to know when you are pushing too hard- it allows me to be more patient with myself because I inch up to the limits.

With street cars on road legal tires, (pirelli, michelin, etc) when you are on the track you can hear which layer of tread you're sliding on by the pitch of the noise. The various layers of rubber make different noises as they peel away from inside edge towards the outside edge. This allows you to basically hop into a brand new car and know what kind of side load/lateral G or slip angle the car can handle without fully spinning and breaking loose.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:03 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I'm basing this on those on this board I keep regular with on track work with the 991 GT3. Manifold, Joe, Peter etc plus a number of European track junkies such a Philgv, Manuel etc. I've studied my in car footage and the wheel speed traces from the Aim telemetry in my own car and can say the only time ESC/TC kicks in is in the wet or when I do something dumb. I don't see myself saving any time at my local track with it off and have kept it off for a few sessions to compare. I'd leave it off more often but for the fact it's another series of buttons to remember to push. However in order to experiment a bit with paddle neutral I'll definitely leave it off next time.

I don't think paddle neutral will have a benefit to my times at the track as its a messy way to get through a corner but I was curious if others had used the feature as in early launch media there was much talked about "hooligan mode" but not much since. Can't see why they incorporated it as a special function of PDK-S if it doesn't have a reason.
I don't consider myself slow on the track but I do have limited time with the 991 GT3 on track (5 days). I left ESC/TC on and I'm not sure I noticed it in the dry at all. I think Porsche set the limits very liberally on the system, particularly compared to other stability controlled cars I've tracked, and you can really get pretty out of shape before it kicks in. I can only really say that based on street experience, where I've gotten the car pretty far sideways and saved it myself without ESC kicking in. Frankly, I was surprised the nanny didn't save me one time ("What, I'm on my own here?")! So I would be surprised if there is a lot of time to save with this implementation of ESC because if it kicks in, my guess is you've pushed something too far to be fast? At least in my admittedly limited time with the car in most moderate to high speed stuff. With stock tires and stock settings, I found the limitation for speed to be the front tire grip before ESC.

As for the clutch-in feature, I remember a video with the Preuninger where he basically said it was to allow for clutch-dump rotation as a way of getting the car into a drift. Basically for shenanigans as you could do with a manual.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The most seasoned drivers will not be driving with aids on - if they are trying to maximize the car's potential. Some new factory race cars do have TC and ABS as standard and should be run with them on, but these are not street calibrated systems and also offer a significant amount of tuning to adjust to driving style and track conditions. The quickest way in non-extreme conditions is with these systems off or set to minimum.

Regarding the clutch dump to rotate the car: it seems an odd tactic to me. It's not something I would regularly do in a car with a real clutch, so why would I want to do it in a 991? Perhaps to avoid a spin maybe...but to rotate the car you want more weight forward in tight low speed corners, so brake/trail brake is more effective than neutral tranny. Left foot brake and throttle combined would be far more subtle and controllable than dumping the clutch IMO. Will have to play with it when my RS arrives though
Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Pro told me to leave ESC/TC on in this car, so I do. Only time I've noticed it kicking in is when I got too greedy with the throttle in tight turns. I tried them both on and off on a wet to semi-wet skidpad, and found that they don't intervene until the car is way out of shape. And when it did intervene on the skidpad, it was quite effective, though on track I know of a 991 GT3 spinning with them on, so beware, YMMV. But I find that I can play around with the car a good bit even on track without apparent intervention from them, and I observed the same when riding with another really good 991 GT3 driver who left them on. Leaving them on gives me confidence to push harder, since there's a safety net there which might work, but I also recognize that it might not, so I do try to avoid f'ing up.

In my 997.1 C2S and Cayman R, I turned ESC off on the track because I did feel that the threshold for intervention was too low.

I briefly tried tracking my C63 sedan also - just for a little fun - and found that the ESC intervention was so intrusive that it was screwing me up, and I felt much safer when I turned it off.

I forgot we had the paddle neutral function until I saw this thread. I suppose a big rotation at corner entry might look faster, but I have doubts that it actually is faster.

Quick Reply: Who is using "Paddle Neutral" function to improve their lines on road and track?