Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PS and RWS failure on my GT3

(Edit: You can go directly to my last post for the problem resolution if you're in a hurry.)

Was going out on a back-country tour this morning, but when I fired up the car it displayed two error codes:

I power-cycled the car several times but the messages persisted. Since it said "Driving permitted" I pulled out of the garage and drove around the block. Steering effort was huge without power steering, especially at low speed. I decided a long drive was out of the question and pulled back into the garage. It looks like a trip to the dealer tomorrow. Any ideas? A blown fuse, maybe? A computer hiccup? I haven't seen this failure mode mentioned before here.

I'm bummed. This is the first time the car has let me down.

TT
Old 12-06-2015, 02:31 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In the right side foot well fuse box check the 5 amp. fuse #6 in Row D. One of its functions is the electronic steering gear.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Porsche didn't even bother updating the steering icon, I guess that's how confident they are it wouldn't happen
Old 12-06-2015, 02:53 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Hopefully something simple and might just need a computer reset
Old 12-06-2015, 03:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for half an hour and take it for a drive. See if the fault returns. If it's a hard fault it will return right away.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Rustycat
In the right side foot well fuse box check the 5 amp. fuse #6 in Row D. One of its functions is the electronic steering gear.
Thanks for the tip, but I am totally confused now. Opened the passenger side fusebox and there is no fuse in slot 6, Row D. Thought I was just confused about location nomenclature, but according to the manual on p. 213, it is "not used."

Indeed, it is blank in the box. I checked the 5-amp fuses in slots 5 and 7 and they were fine. I looked through the manual's fuse designations in both driver and passenger side boxes to find any mention of steering function and could not find anything. I did notice that the manual says there is supposed to be a 25-amp fuse in slot 2 of Row B for "air conditioning control unit" that is not there either, and my car has A/C, so I don't know how correct the manual is.

What am I missing?
Thx,
TT
Old 12-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for half an hour and take it for a drive. See if the fault returns. If it's a hard fault it will return right away.
OK, trying this next. Will report back.
Thx,
TT
Old 12-06-2015, 03:57 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 289 Posts

P cars with that steering wheel did not have to worry about these problems... Obviously the development for electric and four wheel steering occurred during the 997 era.
Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Wow Porsche didn't even bother updating the steering icon, I guess that's how confident they are it wouldn't happen
Old 12-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Dude - I would not screw with anything but just take it in tomorrow. I am sure it is an easy fix but you certainly do not to do anything that will make matters worse
Old 12-06-2015, 04:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I had a whole slew of errors pop up once after I accidentally tried to start the car with the ECU disconnected. The car was bricked and wouldnt drive

Durametic wouldnt reset the car
Disconnecting the battery overnight wouldnt reset the car.
This scanner I bought from amazon a few years ago successfully reset the car and unbricked it.
Amazon.com: INNOVA 3030 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with ABS for OBD2 Vehicles: n/a: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3030 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with ABS for OBD2 Vehicles: n/a: Automotive

I'm not saying that this will fix your problem, but it's something you could try if you happen to have one of these things lying around
Old 12-06-2015, 04:32 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Sorry Tom, here is a pic. from my 2014 manual.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2015, 05:02 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting they've moved the fuses around...
Hope your problem gets resolved. I'd be interested to know what worked. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-06-2015, 05:12 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Tom,
I am an idiot. The correct location is left footwell, row D, #6.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sorry Tom, here is a pic. from my 2014 manual.
Wow, I'm surprised that there is such a difference between 2014 and 2015 wiring!

I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for 40 minutes, hooked it back up, and started the car--both errors came up immediately again. Took it out for a little longer drive to see if it would make any difference by getting it warmed up but no joy. Wrestling the wheel around with no assist is a chore! No way I could run my last autocross of the season next weekend without it--you cannot turn the wheel fast enough! You really feel how much weight is on those wide front tires when the PS is out! It's driveable enough to take it to the dealer for service, at least, so I'll make an appointment tomorrow morning to take it in and see what they say. Hope it's something simple.

Thx,
TT
Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Tom,
I am an idiot. The correct location is left footwell, row D, #6.
Ah--I missed that myself when I scanned through the manual--probably because "Electronic steering gear" was third on the list for that slot. I went back out and checked the driver's side box and that D-6 fuse is fine, though.

Thx,
TT

Quick Reply: PS and RWS failure on my GT3