Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full body clear bra, paint correction, coatings and more on a GT3...oh my...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats a reasonable quote for XPEL on front bumper, full hood, and front fenders on a GT3?
Old 11-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As much as I admire the work I still cannot understand North Americans addiction to wrapping all their cars in plastic at vast cost. The factory put paint on the car to protect the metal from rusting/oxidising. Apart from a good wax and polish occasionally it's all you need :-)
Old 11-13-2015, 06:15 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
As much as I admire the work I still cannot understand North Americans addiction to wrapping all their cars in plastic at vast cost. The factory put paint on the car to protect the metal from rusting/oxidising. Apart from a good wax and polish occasionally it's all you need :-)
how has your experience been without wrapping the car? has the paint chipped or not? Im on the fence because my brother has a GTR he dd's that has not chipped in the three years he's had it without xpel, so not sure what to do
Old 11-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 16'991GT3
Whats a reasonable quote for XPEL on front bumper, full hood, and front fenders on a GT3?
That can vary on your market, their experience, the results, the film used and their ability.

In the bay area, you may pay $2500+ for a full front. In New York you may pay $1695. Neither price necessarily indicates if you will be satisfied.

Try your best to inspect the installer's work. My advice would be to find the best installer you can afford and go with them. It gets expensive when you have to do an install twice.

I have a Lexus RCF in the shop now that we performed full corection and a coating on. The front end already had clear bra installed by another local shop. When he came in for a consultation a month ago and inspected some of our projects he said he had no idea clear bra could look good. He paid a premium for the install he got. I will take pictures of it and share them here.

Do your homework, speak with the installer, express your desires and level of attention to detail and see if he sounds uncomfortable or if he undermines your desire for high quality. The guys that are good with film will not flinch. More or less, interview the shop that may do the work. Your gut will be a fairly good indicator as to if they are the right fit.

I hope this helps you.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

how has your experience been without wrapping the car? has the paint chipped or not? Im on the fence because my brother has a GTR he dd's that has not chipped in the three years he's had it without xpel, so not sure what to do
My car is white and seen 9000 miles of track days and hard road use since ED 24 moths ago. Stone chips on the front don't seem to show up on the white presumably because primer is white underneath. There's are around a dozen I've had to touch up as they were deeper, some on bumper some on hood. The grey front grills chip like buggery on the track but can easily be touched up using Porsche titanium grey touch up paint. The good thing about no film is the tyre marble marks from the track come right off with a little citrus cleaner. This means no yellowing of the film or rubbing causing fine scratch marks. After a good was and chamosie the car comes out like new. Every 6 months I need to use a solvent cleaner to get rid of the fine black tar from the road especially on rear valence and hood. Oil and tar gets there fast. Oil on the clear film rear fender protectors stains very fast (leaves fain yellow Mark) but on the paint just comes right off without stain....
Old 11-14-2015, 02:15 AM
16'991GT3
Pro

thanks both very helpful insights!
Old 11-14-2015, 02:23 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you wrap the headlights? I have read about problems with 991 headlights.. Curious to hear the original posters take on whether to do the headlights..
Old 11-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Did you wrap the headlights? I have read about problems with 991 headlights.. Curious to hear the original posters take on whether to do the headlights..
I am not a fan of any film over headlights with HID's/projectors. But, as long as the owner recognizes the inherent risk in placing film over headlights and they will sign off on my shop not being responsible should the UV coating fail, we will install it. It is not a guarantee that the coating will tear/lift.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

It isn't a 991 gt3/rs but it's definitely a fast 991. Please help us win by voting!

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...r-support.html
Old 11-18-2015, 04:06 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

DD as you can see in this thread is an excellent shop. If you search my threads in 997, I had him do paint correction & a coating on an 05 base Carrera back in 2013. I waited for a 911 since 1974 and I decided I wanted to see how good it could look. The great thing about the owner is, well the guy is honest. He talked me out of certain services (some were just inappropo due to some rock damage. None the less the car got about 50 hrs of full interior/exterior/engine detailing and at that time we went with CQuartz as the coating. You just haven't lived till your detailer uses an airbrush all accessible hoses on your Raby rebuilt 3.6 :-) DD has a customer for life. No affiliations just a fan of the shop.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DD -

I just got a quote for a full wrap and topped with Cquartz coating- price: $6500.

How does that sound?

Also- how do you feel about partial wraps?
Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swordsmn
DD as you can see in this thread is an excellent shop. If you search my threads in 997, I had him do paint correction & a coating on an 05 base Carrera back in 2013. I waited for a 911 since 1974 and I decided I wanted to see how good it could look. The great thing about the owner is, well the guy is honest. He talked me out of certain services (some were just inappropo due to some rock damage. None the less the car got about 50 hrs of full interior/exterior/engine detailing and at that time we went with CQuartz as the coating. You just haven't lived till your detailer uses an airbrush all accessible hoses on your Raby rebuilt 3.6 :-) DD has a customer for life. No affiliations just a fan of the shop.
Thank you Doug. I'm still enjoying the bourbon you gave me.

Originally Posted by PhilT3
DD -

I just got a quote for a full wrap and topped with Cquartz coating- price: $6500.

How does that sound?

Also- how do you feel about partial wraps?
Hi Phil.

I can't really say. Some guys that do incredible work are expensive and some are not expensive. I feel that price falls towards the lower-middle of the two for artisan work, but it does not guarantee that it will be incredible.

Your best bet is to do your due diligence in regards to your installer. Find the best local installer you can, interview them and then if everything else checks out, leave your car with them to do their thing.

How do I feel about partial wraps? I think everyone should get what they are comfortable with. Some folks are very happy with the front clip and rocker panels and some simply must have the best protection available. In my years of doing this I've never had someone come back and suggest they got more clear bra coverage than they ended up wanting. If anything, they come back and ask for more coverage or express remorse at not having more when some event occurred. My advice is to get the most clear bra coverage you feel comfortable paying for. The GT3 is not an inexpensive car and the protection PPF gives allows the owner to have a great peace of mind while enjoying their Porsche.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it depends on where and how you drive. In North Georgia we are blessed with miles and miles of beautiful mountain roads. These roads come with loose stones and gravel. And this stuff flies, especially if you are driving in a group. I ended up replacing my windshield after the first Smokies event (30 991 GT3s). For me, the wrap was a solid investment and is relatively inexpensive considering the cost of our cars. Like most, I wrapped the whole front end, a-pillars, leading edge of roof, lower doors, front of rear fenders and headlights. I was not going to wrap the headlights due to delimitation risk but I'm really glad I did. There is not a mark on them and the wrap is in perfect condition. There are a few posts on rennlist that discuss headlights chipping. Worth a quick search if you are on the fence.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:05 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Thank you.

I do not remember but it was north of 100. And, thank you!
Again guys, absolutely beautiful installation job! Great job!!

Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lodi
I think it depends on where and how you drive. In North Georgia we are blessed with miles and miles of beautiful mountain roads. These roads come with loose stones and gravel. And this stuff flies, especially if you are driving in a group. I ended up replacing my windshield after the first Smokies event (30 991 GT3s). For me, the wrap was a solid investment and is relatively inexpensive considering the cost of our cars. Like most, I wrapped the whole front end, a-pillars, leading edge of roof, lower doors, front of rear fenders and headlights. I was not going to wrap the headlights due to delimitation risk but I'm really glad I did. There is not a mark on them and the wrap is in perfect condition. There are a few posts on rennlist that discuss headlights chipping. Worth a quick search if you are on the fence.
Have you considered windshield protection film? We are strongly considering offering this based upon our client's requests for it.

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
Again guys, absolutely beautiful installation job! Great job!!
Thank you Xpel!

Quick Reply: Full body clear bra, paint correction, coatings and more on a GT3...oh my...