Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full body clear bra, paint correction, coatings and more on a GT3...oh my...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015 | 07:41 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by faztaz
Very impressive job. Love that you removed door handles, lights, wing, etc.

Were you able to do the wing and the mounts for the wing in one piece or did you have to break it up into multiple pieces due to the complexity of the curves?

Kudos!
Thank you. It's a popular option for our clients with 991's getting full wraps.

No. With clear bra, we see it as there are a few absolutes:

Do no harm. -Do not cut paint, do not do something you know will risk injury to the car even if it is a different owner years down the road...treat it like it is mine.

Give an installation that will stay put. -It's easy to make certain shots look great right after the install. It's how it will look 2 weeks after it has left that will count. Is excessive promoter being used or are you giving a truly quality install even if the owner doesn't understand the nuances that went into it?

Make it look really really good. -Bubbles should be able to be addressed in short order...safely. Debris should be a non-issue. Edges should be uniform and wrapped wherever possible. Stressed adhesive(depending on film used) should be absolutely minimum, if not non-existent.

We could do a 1 piece wrap on it. I know for a fact we could. My concern is that it will not stay. PPF has limitations on what's possible and what is not possible. Sure, we push the limits but there is definitely a limit and we are pretty stinking in touch with it.

Excellent question!
Old 11-10-2015 | 09:02 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Great work. Looks amazing
Old 11-10-2015 | 09:18 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Sorry, a few more questions: You mention "nano coating", what brand is best for street and what brand for a track car.? How do you know the quality/durability? why do some need multiple coatings and others only one? Thanks, Allan
Old 11-10-2015 | 09:57 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Great work. Looks amazing
Thank you.

Originally Posted by allans
Sorry, a few more questions: You mention "nano coating", what brand is best for street and what brand for a track car.? How do you know the quality/durability? why do some need multiple coatings and others only one? Thanks, Allan
Allan,

In many scenarios, the best solution for either of those is the best solution for both. The reason is that in both scenarios you are wanting chemical resistance as well as ease of maintenance(washes are easier and less time consuming). No coating provides rock chip protection on a quantifiable level.

Quality can be read initially by the installer. Some coatings are very wet and some are thick, almost like syrup. My .02 is that I've played with both and the thicker ones tend to be more difficult to install but repel itself(additional layers) quickly. Some "wetter" coatings do not instill confidence while installing. This is very arbitrary but I have no better way to put it when it comes to articulating "quality" to others who do not get to see this part.

The gloss or depth a coating gives also tells a tale of quality. Some coatings show themselves as beautiful immediately and some somewhat mute the paint's color and depth. Some take weeks to cure and bring its full beauty out.

Long term, I get to see client's cars and talk with them about how they've treated the coatings. Some get abused and some are perfectly maintained. This also gives a good sense of quality and durability.

Durability is rated by how the coating is treated mixed with how it is repelling stains, chemicals and debris as well as its ease of cleaning. Some coatings can be abused and endure. Some coatings can be perfectly maintained and yet fail quickly. Behind the scenes, industry experts communicate with each other and we are abreast of what everyone is experiencing. A failure of a coating does not mean it is not good. Failures across the USA in short order start forming a pattern of poor quality and durability. Funny you ask. Just this morning I was discussing this topic with someone from Canada, Texas, California and Chicago. A well-known coating has been plagued with issues over the last year+ and most of the big names in the industry have stopped offering it.

Typically, as in, in every case I am aware of, the need for multiple coatings comes from two desires from manufacturers. One is a durable base coat that lasts a long time and the other is to have a short term fluorine coating that gives a slicker feel and a hydrophobic water effect. Fluorine is a sensitive structure and degrades rapidly(relatively speaking). The top coats tend to not last as long as the base coats due to their sensitive structure. If the products were designed specifically as a duo, great. But I think it's becoming a trend to just add these on as they give a neat effect for the short term....a "wow" factor. I know of at least 1 manufacturer that added a fluorine coating after years of milking the original coating. Now, this add on is supposed to be something special. I see it as a chintzy add-on that was an afterthought. It's an insult to me. As if we are supposed to sell whatever they throw at the detail shops. Now failures are happening on a large level and the guys that didn't see it coming are stuck with their name on poor quality services.

Not all multi-layer coatings are bad or even inconvenient. Sometimes you can layer multiple base coat coatings for more gloss and/or a thicker membrane. I think it's about finding the right fit for the owner.

We've offered many options through the years. The technology advances every year and it requires constant attention. Coatings that were 'the best' 3 years ago are now ancient in terms of the technology now available. You just have to find the right shop and personality to discover your personal needs and trust that they are ethical and really know their stuff.

Sorry for the long reply. The answers are not simple ones.
Old 11-10-2015 | 10:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Are you able/willing to rate the most common coatings?
Old 11-10-2015 | 10:41 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bronson7
Are you able/willing to rate the most common coatings?
If you wish to know my opinion, shoot me a list of the coatings you have in mind and I will give you my .02. I do not know all of them but for the ones in the USA, I likely have .02 to give. With that said, I encourage everyone to do their own due diligence before deciding on a long term coating solution.

With few exceptions, the installer and shop you go with will play the largest role in your satisfaction. For instance, those guys who had failed coatings are standing behind their work and replacing the failed ones with better options at no charge to their clients. You installer is the biggest factor in satisfaction. Find a good guy and you're set. They will make sure you're well cared for.

**edit**
Last year a manufacturer threatened me with litigation for posting my opinion online. While it's within my rights to continue doing so, my council has advised me to do whatever it takes to keep money in my pocket instead of fighting a frivolous lawsuit. I can't argue with that.

A really good question is this. Who in my area would you suggest I consider for my coating needs?
Old 11-10-2015 | 10:55 PM
tasman
Race Car

Love reading your inputs. Where in Wisconsin would you recommend for ppf and coatings? Thanks
Old 11-10-2015 | 11:15 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

DD, Thank you for your reply. It seems that this whole "coating" trend is a little mysterious. Not sure how the average guy can make an informed decision. Seems simpler, and maybe just as good, to use good cleaners, polishes and waxes to keep your paint in really fine condition. Am I wrong? Best, Allan
Old 11-11-2015 | 12:51 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tasman
Love reading your inputs. Where in Wisconsin would you recommend for ppf and coatings? Thanks
PM sent.

Originally Posted by allans
DD, Thank you for your reply. It seems that this whole "coating" trend is a little mysterious. Not sure how the average guy can make an informed decision. Seems simpler, and maybe just as good, to use good cleaners, polishes and waxes to keep your paint in really fine condition. Am I wrong? Best, Allan
Allan, I understand feeling a bit overwhelmed about it. There is a lot of information and it's difficult to navigate through it to find the most accurate content.

I feel there are 3 scenarios that merit not having a coating applied:
1) Lack of care in taking proper care. -If someone just wants their ear tickled into thinking a coating = authorization to abuse the car. Or, someone just wants to spend the money but doesn't intend to take care of it for whatever reason.

2) They absolutely love doing everything DIY-style. -While you can wax coatings and it feels absolutely unreal slick, if you are just a down home DIY'er that can't get into coatings...well, I can't argue with that.

3) Classic car. -I feel the last step protection should be era-specific. Not a fan of coating classic cars. That's what we have Swissvax waxes for!

But, in terms of protection, no wax or sealant comes close to a properly applied coating. And some coatings surpass how a quality wax looks on a car.

The bottom line is that you should go with what you feel comfortable with though. Your toy is your baby and what we do is create solutions for our client's needs. If you don't have perceived needs...there's no fix.
Old 11-11-2015 | 03:20 PM
AdPock
Instructor

Default Front Page News!

Exceptional work! Thought the front page crowd would appreciate it too...
https://rennlist.com/articles/museum...sche-911-gt3//
Old 11-11-2015 | 04:31 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdPock
Exceptional work! Thought the front page crowd would appreciate it too...
https://rennlist.com/articles/museum...sche-911-gt3//
Wow, thank you so much AdPock! All of my staff and I genuinely appreciate all of the kind expressions about this project!
Old 11-11-2015 | 05:43 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

DD, who do you recommend for a ppt and coating installer in my area?
Old 11-11-2015 | 06:58 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
DD, who do you recommend for a ppt and coating installer in my area?
Haha, this guy!

Call your boy. You know we have you.
Old 11-11-2015 | 07:12 PM
gurneyeagle
Instructor

Outstanding!
Old 11-11-2015 | 08:09 PM
Briby
Advanced

One of the most helpful threads I've read in quite some time. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Full body clear bra, paint correction, coatings and more on a GT3...oh my...