Sponsored by:

Got late allocation for RS...need to decide options

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:31 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Meh, only people that have issues with PCCB on track are those that think primary purpose of brakes is to stop car.

Find it amusing the number of people that say they must have PDK because it's latest/greatest/fastest technology then turn around and spec +100yr old brake technology.

Spec or don't spec because you want them, but don't bother trying to argue that cast iron brakes are better...
Been doing some more reading (another thread) about the third gen PCCB rotors on the 918/RS... Seems like they are way more durable for track use than the first two generations and the cost per mile for track use is approaching that of steel...
Old 11-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Meh, only people that have issues with PCCB on track are those that think primary purpose of brakes is to stop car.

Find it amusing the number of people that say they must have PDK because it's latest/greatest/fastest technology then turn around and spec +100yr old brake technology.

Spec or don't spec because you want them, but don't bother trying to argue that cast iron brakes are better...
Depends on which set of compromises you're trying to maximize. My general opinion on carbon-ceramic brakes is that they are a compromised product of trying to bring a taste of motorsports brakes (carbon-carbon) to a street car. So now you have a rotor that STILL doesn't exhibit great cold braking, is very fragile/chips easily, disintegrates from the inside-out with no visual cues, requires removal to assess condition, and has a poor cost/life ratio.

But I'm sure the technology will improve in time (it already has - the first carbon-ceramic brakes from just a decade ago were garbage). As of today, I would be hard pressed to agree that carbon-ceramic brakes are "better product," when you consider all the pros and cons.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Back on topic, my RS spec would be with the following options:
White/black wheels/black LED/front lift/extended tank/auto dimming mirrors/leather wheel/sound package plus/PCM/smoker package/floor mats
Old 11-08-2015, 04:46 AM
batmanm3
Racer

thank you to everyone who chimed in.

Order is in, but not locked.

LO, full leather with LO stitching and cushions, LWBS,PDLS, front axle lift, 90 L tank, alcantara sun visors, auto dimming mirrors, smokers pkg, fire extinguisher, PCM and sound plus.

Specced it with PCCB, track app, and alcantara steering wheel...but still a bit on the fence with these three...may still delete the first two and switch to smooth leather for durability.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:54 AM
Abby997
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Painted keys are very nice too. Something will bring a nice touch every time you drive the car.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:42 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Originally Posted by Abby997
Painted keys are very nice too. Something will bring a nice touch every time you drive the car.
Think they want almost $400 to paint a bit of orange on the plastic case...I'm already well over what I wanted to spend...
Old 11-08-2015, 03:46 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

I skipped the painted keys as well, but, if you like them. You can buy colored covers on eBay for much less.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:03 PM
batmanm3
Racer

I skipped the painted keys as well, but, if you like them. You can buy colored covers on eBay for much less.
lol...perfect!
Too bad there is no cheap way to get black headlights! $1600 for black PDLS vs $900 for silver...sigh
Old 11-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Same here but I did see Suncoast has the pieces for $125 per key. I almost ordered them the other day.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:48 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by batmanm3
lol...perfect!
Too bad there is no cheap way to get black headlights! $1600 for black PDLS vs $900 for silver...sigh
I'd do either PDLS -
the options you have - plus

silver wheels
illuminated carbon guards
airslats painted I think picks up just a nice bit of color on the dash that ties into the doors, and cushions. the stitching also looks very nice and goes well with the RS carbon.

I'd do it in UV myself- with PCCB - and silver stitching - black cushions. saw a gt silver rs that I sat in with silver cushions - rather go black for wear purposes.

I have the leather wheel on my GT3 build- something you were on the fence about..
Old 11-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 633 Likes on 388 Posts

Make sure you get black headlights... Not much worse style-wise than clashing silver / grey headings with the black front fender vents.

Drop the track app, it's garbage.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,029 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by batmanm3
Think they want almost $400 to paint a bit of orange on the plastic case...I'm already well over what I wanted to spend...
Insist that the dealer throw the paint keys frame, as well as other items like a keychain, license plate frame, etc, as part of your delivery bag of goodies.

Those are all things that should be thrown in as part of your purchase.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Make sure you get black headlights... Not much worse style-wise than clashing silver / grey headings with the black front fender vents.

Drop the track app, it's garbage.
I absolutely hate black lights on the GT3, but agree that they are a must on the RS. I think only a GT Silver RS can get away with regular PDLS, or perhaps a UV with silver wheels.

My personal favorite are the black LEDs because the dual elements take up more real estate inside the headlight housing, and break up the monotony of the PDLS. Regular PDLS clash horribly with the black accents and the Black PDLS give the car a "panda" look which I also dislike.

To be honest, I wish Porsche gave us less options.

In the book 'The Paradox of Choice,' psychologist Barry Schwartz addresses the following question in Western society: Why is it that people are getting more miserable when the amount of choices we are given goes up?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:02 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Just bugs me to pay that much money for some black paint
We should be getting the LED in black as standard equipment!

I've mostly been a function over form kind of guy...not that I don't appreciate aesthetics, just given my limited funds, I would choose track day over cars and coffee
Old 11-09-2015, 04:06 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Is it wrong to want the carbon illuminated custom doorsill ??

I love the one that says " kills bugs fast"

Quick Reply: Got late allocation for RS...need to decide options