Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got late allocation for RS...need to decide options

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to track it more than 10 track days a year don't get PCCB.
If you are driving it mostly on street then it doesn't matter.
PCCB rotors replacement cost over 25000. And they don't last much longer than steel rotors.
Also weight saving is questionble. With bigger caliper bigger pad big pccb rotors don't know how much weight you can save. Also if you put PCCB away and put steel rotors on for track use then 410 steel rotors will be heavier plus can't find any 410 steel rotors for sale yet.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

You can get different brake pads for the Steel which will give you more bite, less brake dust, and less squeal.

I will switch my brake pads in the Spring when i take it out of winter hibernation
Old 11-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Cups and RSR's use steel rotors; and they have way more grip and downforce...
Yes but because the rules of the series don't allow carbon brakes. They also don't have the same braking system in the cars. Cup cars use PFC calipers and rotors with dual remote master cylinders with no brake booster and no ABS. Add this system with the sticker Michelin or Yokahama rubber on them and they can out brake a stock GT3. So we can't compare the street car to the race car That is apples to oranges.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

My spec was similar to what you are thinking

Full leather

90L tank a must. The added range is nice especially if you do euro delivery

LED lights, I like them and think they are worth it for night visibility. They are brighter than any xenon light I have driven with.

Alcantara visors, with full leather these compliment the interior better. Not needed but a nice personal touch

HiFi/PCM, yes it is a must. If you plan to drive the car on the street or ED then you need it for the Nav and to understand what the Nav says

Smoking package is a must. Cleans up the look for the center console

Light package I could go either way. I did it and liked it while driving around Europe. It was nice to find things in the car in the footwell or pockets at night but it isn't a game changer.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
PCCB rotors replacement cost over 25000. And they don't last much longer than steel rotors.
Also weight saving is questionble. With bigger caliper bigger pad big pccb rotors don't know how much weight you can save. Also if you put PCCB away and put steel rotors on for track use then 410 steel rotors will be heavier plus can't find any 410 steel rotors for sale yet.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone could point me to some good information on this statement it would be appreciated. I have been told by multiple dealers when discussing PCCBs that although the PCCB initial cost is higher, the maintenance cost of the steels is much higher over time. Furthermore, more than one has stated that if the car was only being used on the street "they would pretty much never need replacing."
Old 11-06-2015, 02:39 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Yellow calipers look cool and are expensive. What's not to like. 😃😃😃

To be honest. In most cases the only reason to have PCCB is if you DD and don't want dust.

Personally I don't like the price of PCCB and don't mind cleaning my wheels. Not fast enough on track to gain a second/lap with less unsprung weight. So decision is simple.

Cheap steel.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:53 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
this has been put to bed with direct weight comparisons, controlling for calipers, etc. It is 10lbs of unsprung rotating mass per corner. Not trying to start a new pccb discussion. just saying.

i do agree that they are very much an unneeded option. but for me on the street, they are a must have with this car. I like the no dust and the look of them, and would just pay for that. But I am also in the camp that says any driver will feel 40lbs unsprung rotating mass at the corners. Many disagree. I understand. I have had GT3 w iron and w PCCB and would never go back unless significant track duty. I don't think that there is a valid reason to not get them for street, other than $$$. Which is personal for everyone, of course.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:54 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by batmanm3
Hello all...been a long time lurker...priced out of an affordable 997.2 RS so got on list for 991 RS...
Just been advised that I have gotten a late allocation for RS and need to pick options.

Want to do Euro delivery.

Full leather
LWBS
Front axle lift (need it for driveways at home and work)
90 L tank
fire extinguisher
PCM and Sound plus

What to do about :

Maybe PTS...Guards red, Carmine, Miami or Mexico blue? Or Lava Orange and matching interior?

Sport Chrono/Track app...leaning towards no unless ppl with actual experience say its worth it.

No PCCB, no light weight battery

Alcantara sun visiors (what is base material with full leather option? plastic?)

Whats the deal with all the head light options? Is base adequate?

Anything I missed?

Thanks
Definitely lift, extended tank, buckets. Skip ceramic brakes and sports Chrono. I would also skip lw battery and Alcantara sunvisors. PTS is long closed unfortunately. Congratulations!
Old 11-06-2015, 03:34 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Buckets, extended tank and full leather are the only must haves for me. I would do PCM and sound plus too because it is so cheap. The rest is personal preference.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:10 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Cups and RSR's use steel rotors; and they have way more grip and downforce... PCCBs are only better in that they reduce unsprung weight and in theory reduce chance of fade. However, if you use steel and replace pads with a more track friendly compound and change brake fluid to race version, then you will never see fading. I think for the casual owner; who might track 2-4 timer per year, the PCCB's are a decent option, as the unsprung weight is benefit and the bite of PCCBs gives a little more confidence when playing on the street.
The 991 GT3 rotors and calipers are so far removed from the Cup and RSR set its not a worthy comparison. Either way you go if you track the car heavily, you need to figure out an aftermarket solution.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:38 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batmanm3
THAT is a good enough reason for me!!
You can remove them from the std ones with 15 mins of work.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:28 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What have people been doing for track wheels and tires?

Does anyone know if 19" wheels will fit over the PCCB (410 mm) or the steel rotors (380mm) for track wheels?
Old 11-07-2015, 03:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I believe this as well.

I still think, if you ordered a base car it would be great.
i have full leather, bucket seat, that's it.
maybe a few other doodads i cant remember. but the little doodads adds to < $1,000

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Fwiw:
Sat behind a gt3 that where smoke came from the engine.
The fire extinguisher came to use in that case...
i had one in my 6gt3. used it on a bmw in front of me. it put out small fire, then can empty, then fire rekindles. i ran.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

On my 991 GT3 I upgraded my steel brakes with steel brake hoses, racing brake fluid (Endless) and switch to Endless brake pads (ME20 compound) and it works really great

Go with steel rotors and do this upgrade is my suggestion!
Old 11-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Meh, only people that have issues with PCCB on track are those that think primary purpose of brakes is to stop car.

Find it amusing the number of people that say they must have PDK because it's latest/greatest/fastest technology then turn around and spec +100yr old brake technology.

Spec or don't spec because you want them, but don't bother trying to argue that cast iron brakes are better...

Quick Reply: Got late allocation for RS...need to decide options