Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag light just came on

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015 | 07:19 PM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Default Airbag light just came on

My GT3 has 1760 miles now and yesterday while accelerating hard through the gears I look down just as the airbag light comes on. Today I plugged in my diagnostic tool and cleared it but it came right back on. Thinking this is seat or seat belt related. I hate taking cars to the dealer wish I could figure this out myself.
Old 10-23-2015 | 07:47 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

What seats?
Old 10-23-2015 | 08:10 PM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Not the sport buckets. I haven't changed anything either.
Old 10-23-2015 | 08:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

It could be any number of things:

The airbag warning light illuminates when the
electronic monitoring of the airbag system
detects a malfunction of the sensors, safety belt
system, occupant detection system, PASS AIR
BAG OFF indicator lamp, related wiring, airbag
modules and control units.

Captain Obvious suggests that while accelerating hard, somewhere an already loose connector separated......
Old 10-27-2015 | 11:53 AM
chrisk1200
Instructor

I took my car to the Sewickley Car Store yesterday and they hooked it up to their diagnostic machine. It came back as an intermitant ground fault from the driver's seat wiring, or something like that. They reset it and don't think it will come back. So some sort of a loose connection under the seat. I hope it doesn't return.
Old 10-27-2015 | 01:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by chrisk1200
I took my car to the Sewickley Car Store yesterday and they hooked it up to their diagnostic machine. It came back as an intermitant ground fault from the driver's seat wiring, or something like that. They reset it and don't think it will come back. So some sort of a loose connection under the seat. I hope it doesn't return.
Like I said...

Glad you got it sorted!
Old 11-06-2015 | 02:55 PM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Airbag light came back on. I have talked to the local dealer and will have to take it back in to diagnose the problem. The diagnostic machine said intermittent ground fault drivers seat. The tech said maybe a bad sensor, sucks!
Old 11-06-2015 | 08:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

^Minor issue. They will have it fixed in no time.
Old 12-12-2015 | 09:14 AM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Dealer removed the center consol to access the airbag control module and diagnosed the issue as bad seat airbag. After ordering the part from Germany and another trip to the dealer my seat was torn apart to install the new airbag. They have 8 hours in labor on this now and I have 3 trips to the dealer that is 40 minutes away. The car made it 1/2 way home and the airbag light is back on. I am extremely frustrated with this issue as I was hoping this was getting resolved now I am back to square one. Have any of you had this issue ?
Old 12-12-2015 | 09:19 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

When you first reported your issue, that is the first I have heard. Definitely a bummer. But, you want your airbags to be in working order. Let's hope it isn't a crimped wire somewhere difficult to find.
Old 12-12-2015 | 09:42 AM
chrisk1200
Instructor

I don't know what to do next. Should I try to call PCNA and ask them about this issue. Airbags need to be functioning properly.
Old 12-12-2015 | 11:31 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

It should be a fixable problem. The hard part will be tracking down the fix. You could call PCNA due to it being a safety issue, but what can they do? I would hold tight, and give them the benefit of doubt. The more electronic cars get, the more stuff like this will malfunction.
Old 12-12-2015 | 02:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Sorry to hear you're still having the problem. As I posted earlier in the thread, there are apparently at least a half a dozen or more possible reasons why the airbag light might come on. Your dealer told you that they "diagnosed" one of them as the problem but my guess is that, failing to exactly pin down the cause, they simply chose the most promising suspect. This seems even more likely since the part they replaced obviously didn't resolve the issue.

You could contact PCNA, but ultimately you'll probably be back in the hands of the dealership anyway. Maybe it will at least give the dealer some added incentive if PCNA is breathing down their necks or maybe it will just **** them off that you went over their heads. It's a judgment call on your part based on whether you feel the dealer is really trying hard to fix this.

I've been through stuff like this before with my cars and I agree with you that it's very frustrating. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:19 PM
chrisk1200
Instructor

My GT3 was back to the shop again for this airbag issue. This is the 4th time for the same problem. After receiving a call from the dealer that it has been fixed I was extremely happy to go pick it up. Happiness lasted until I got in it to leave as the airbag light came on before reaching the end of the parking lot. The dealer has no idea what to do. They said the tech drove it 9 miles before I arrived and it seemed to be fixed. I took it home and called PCNA. They had heard from the dealer and were excited they heard it was fixed. My case is now elevated to the PCNA regional guy that is supposed to call me tomorrow. The tech at the dealer thinks that the new airbag that was installed into my seat could be faulty as well and wants to replace it again. I asked the PCNA guy why don't you just replace the whole seat this time. He says he can't make that call. My next visit there will be the 5th trip for the same issue. It is a 40 minute trip each way and when they give me a loaner for the day it turns into multiple trips -12 times now!! Porsche needs to compensate me for all this time I have in dealing with this.https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/banghead.gif
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Stop driving the car to them and have them send a flat bed... dealer/porsche owe you nothing but to fix the issue, which they're trying to do (not well clearly...)

Quick Reply: Airbag light just came on