Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Harris: GT3 RS vs. Aston GT12 vs McLaren 650S

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with CH's assessment of the seating position in the McLaren. The low cowl does make a difference as well and makes sitting in a GT3 / GT4 feel like sitting in a bathtub by comparison.

Very interesting video indeed. Just returned from Germany where all roads are glass smooth so the ride quality thing is interesting.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2 GTS
There are still 2016 GT3 build spots/allocations available?? I was under the impression that all 16's are spoken for and that there will be a limited number of 16's produced compared to 2015. Anyone else chime in?
The production will stop before the middle of the next year, because a new European law will put the current 991 GT3 out of homologation.

I'm gonna be the greedy guy, but on those 3 cars, I'm pretty sure the RS is the one with the lowest maintenance cost and with the most autonomy!
Old 10-16-2015, 02:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
This puts into perspective the option of paying $100k markup for an RS or buying a McLaren. For the same money, buy the McLaren is the conclusion.

Perhaps that provides some motivation to Porsche to satisfy demand so mark ups don't happen. Of course people with means will still buy the inventory so, it makes no difference in sales. But, long term, a regular Porsche buyer of the masses, may move to other manufacturers if we can't get what we want without paying a mark up.

Dan (prefers GT3 over RS regardless but would like the option w/o $100k adj)
This may be true in the abstract, especially if one only considers these cars appropriate for the track.

However, and this is a big selling point of the RS (as well as the GT3) is the usability as a daily driver.

Yes, the large bench sticking out of the engine cover is a bit garish but it is more capable for picking up groceries than a 650LT, not to mention reliability and dealer networks (especially outside of major metropolitan areas in the U.S.).

And one last thing. McLarens' rate of depreciation is laughably bad.

But if one were to just pick one of these for a track toy, all other things aside, then yeah the 650 is probably hard to beat. Gobs of power, lots of grip, and quick as a pickpocket.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This may be true in the abstract, especially if one only considers these cars appropriate for the track.

However, and this is a big selling point of the RS (as well as the GT3) is the usability as a daily driver.

Yes, the large bench sticking out of the engine cover is a bit garish but it is more capable for picking up groceries than a 650LT, not to mention reliability and dealer networks (especially outside of major metropolitan areas in the U.S.).
This is exactly why I went for the GT3.
I was looking for track car that can be used as a daily, and so far this car is perfect for me!
And I live in Europe, so I can expect really quick delay if something is broken!
Old 10-16-2015, 03:14 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 831 Likes on 381 Posts

It's a damn shame the rs is trading so high above msrp

It's a car that is meant to be driven the **** out of, but because of the decision to limit supply, it will get traded amongst dealers and sit in garages. Sad.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Something of an odd review, but perhaps not unfair considering the markup on the RS. CH acknowledges that the RS is more exciting, which, for many, is the end goal (at least for track and shorter road trips). The track times were basically a wash between the two -- the RS had better tires, apparently, but then again, he presumably has the Macca dialed in having driven it for three continuous months (if I heard that correctly). I do wonder how a tarted up Turbo S would fare versus the Macca. Perhaps still a bit shy of the mark?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:59 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Over the 3 the 488
Old 10-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

That's probably the best video he has done to date.

Can't argue - I do miss my McLaren, but I don't miss the depreciation. One nice thing about GT cars is that they hold their value better than just about anything else out there. This is one of the reasons my new GT3 is on my boat over here, and the McLaren is sold.

From a strictly technical perspective, no other car on the planet holds a candle to McLaren. Before you comment "I test drove one and wasn't impressed" - a test drive means nothing and it's truly a car you appreciate more and more the more you live with it.

I will likely own another McLaren in the near future.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

And one last thing. McLarens' rate of depreciation is laughably bad.

But if one were to just pick one of these for a track toy, all other things aside, then yeah the 650 is probably hard to beat. Gobs of power, lots of grip, and quick as a pickpocket.
I vehemently disagree that the McLaren is less useable for "picking up groceries." The trunk is good sized (enough to go camping in the death valley for two), and suspension is supple, and the cabin is a more pleasant place to be than any 911.

Dealer network/servicing - yes, I agree, McLaren has a steep mountain to climb (unless you live in Coastal SoCal area).
Old 10-16-2015, 10:12 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very accurate comments on both the RS and the 650s. Both are magnificent at what they do. Allan
Old 10-17-2015, 10:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Good video. CH says some funny stuff! "***** waving".
Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good video. CH says some funny stuff! "***** waving".
The British have some great phrases.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Porsche really did well on the 991RS.

too bad about the demand and over sticker price.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I STILL love my lowly 12C, and it's probably cheaper than the GT3, let alone RS at current market. Mac depreciation has dramatically slowed and it is just a magnificent car. Too good in some ways, as it lacks the drama some crave. Fun review and surprising the 650 on Pzeros and on such a short track was still fastest. Put the Mac on a track with 1:30+ lap times and ba-bye
Old 10-18-2015, 09:38 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2 GTS
There are still 2016 GT3 build spots/allocations available?? I was under the impression that all 16's are spoken for and that there will be a limited number of 16's produced compared to 2015. Anyone else chime in?
Yes. I was offered one this week but for 15k over. Passed on it.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris: GT3 RS vs. Aston GT12 vs McLaren 650S