Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So confused. I thought it wasn't for the track..
Great car for those with good driving roads. The 991.2 GT3 will be another step dynamically mostly due to what they are learning with RWS seems like. Plus manual of course.
They can call it whatever they want but there's still a ton that could be done with both R and RS to get to where respective customers would like them to be.

R: (or whatever you want to call it) the ultimate expression of lightweight street-focused 911 hot rod - a wolf in sheep's clothing. Emotional engagement over ultimate lap time. The current car is a great start, but imagine a modern air-cooled 911 with 500-550hp that weighed 2,500lbs. Think it can't be done? Watch this space.

RS: the ultimate track car with a plate. There's still a massive gap between the current RS and the GT3R race platform, which could be closed further. Bin the interior and make it look and feel like a race car, with all the associated weight saving benefits. Add cockpit adjustable brake bias and sway bars, and a wheel/tire combo that facilitates both easy wheel changes and use of DOT track tires. Offer the PFC Cup car brakes as an option. They are a big leap forward over current steels.

Hopefully the overwhelming positive response to cars like the R, RS, GT4 etc is finally making Porsche realize the potential demand that exists for these types of products and encourages them to dip their toes just a little further into the fun pool.

Last edited by Nizer; 03-23-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:09 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
They can call it whatever they want but there's still a ton that could be done with both R and RS to get to where respective customers would like them to be. R: (or whatever you want to call it) the ultimate expression of lightweight street-focused 911 hot rod - a wolf in sheep's clothing. Emotional engagement over ultimate lap time. The current car is a great start, but imagine a modern air-cooled 911 with 500-550hp that weighed 2,500lbs. Think it can't be done? Watch this space. RS: the ultimate track car with a plate. There's still a massive gap between the current RS and the GT3R race platform, which could be closed further. Bin the interior and make it look and feel like a race car, with all the associated weight saving benefits. Add cockpit adjustable brake bias and sway bars, and a wheel/tire combo that facilitates both easy wheel changes and use of DOT track tires. Offer the PFC Cup car brakes as an option. They are a big leap forward over current steels. Hopefully the overwhelming positive response to cars like the R, RS, GT4 etc is finally making Porsche realize the potential demand that exists for these types of products and encourages them to dip their toes just a little further into the fun pool.
Please AP. Listen to Nizer^^^^^ There are still a few of us left. It doesn't make any sense, that's when RS makes sense. Please.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

they are just priming us for the 991.2 gt3 manual.. another car which will also be exceedingly difficult to get (not unobtanium like the R, but difficult nonetheless).
Old 03-23-2016, 06:49 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Careful for what you ask for -

Maybe they will make exactly what you want - dangle it in front of you with fancy videos, then politely tell you - "Sorry Nizer - you're not allowed to buy this, but everyone else will really enjoy theirs"

They can call it whatever they want but there's still a ton that could be done with both R and RS to get to where respective customers would like them to be.

R: (or whatever you want to call it) the ultimate expression of lightweight street-focused 911 hot rod - a wolf in sheep's clothing. Emotional engagement over ultimate lap time. The current car is a great start, but imagine a modern air-cooled 911 with 500-550hp that weighed 2,500lbs. Think it can't be done? Watch this space.

RS: the ultimate track car with a plate. There's still a massive gap between the current RS and the GT3R race platform, which could be closed further. Bin the interior and make it look and feel like a race car, with all the associated weight saving benefits. Add cockpit adjustable brake bias and sway bars, and a wheel/tire combo that facilitates both easy wheel changes and use of DOT track tires. Offer the PFC Cup car brakes as an option. They are a big leap forward over current steels.

Hopefully the overwhelming positive response to cars like the R, RS, GT4 etc is finally making Porsche realize the potential demand that exists for these types of products and encourages them to dip their toes just a little further into the fun pool.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

+1
Hear, hear!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I just got back from the NYC Auto Show. Love the car! Perfect " sleeper " 911,but you know it's special. If I could buy it I'd delete everything I can from the interior. It doesn't need anything IMO...just the single mass flywheel. I'd get the lightest spec possible and I'd lose 20 pounds myself! Man,what a car!

Buy with confidence,neanicu approved! If you can that is...

P.S. In other news,Graphite Blue metallic is my new favorite color. The Rhodium Silver GT4 they have looks great too!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:03 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

The R is looking like the nicest 911 in quite a long time. Power, handling, elegance, charm and history - all in one package - and subtle.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:32 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

There's obviously no shortage of photos and video, but here's one more clip where I get to drive the car I'll never own -- on the Weissach test track.

For reference, here's the same track, back in the day of my daily driver:

The staged stuff was slower than the full laps we got with the 911R at GT3 RS -- which (oddly) involved no helmets and weren't filmed.

I leave in five days for the last piece of this thing -- where we get to drive the 911R on a hillclimb stage in southern France. I still can't believe they asked me to do this.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:09 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
There's obviously no shortage of photos and video, but here's one more clip where I get to drive the car I'll never own -- on the Weissach test track.

For reference, here's the same track, back in the day of my daily driver:

The staged stuff was slower than the full laps we got with the 911R at GT3 RS -- which (oddly) involved no helmets and weren't filmed.

I leave in five days for the last piece of this thing -- where we get to drive the 911R on a hillclimb stage in southern France. I still can't believe they asked me to do this.
That's you in the film? How did you land that gig??!!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Massive kudos to you for representing the "everyman" Porsche enthusiast and So. Cal. R Gruppe, Jack! What a great opportunity to wring out the finest factory machinery at an international venue. Where's the "green with envy" emoticon? I guess this one will have to do.

TT
Old 03-27-2016, 12:29 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Well here is one at my local middle of nowhere dealer. T may not be spoken for as it is a launch car if some sort. Pm me for details and I'll give contact info. Not sure where it would go.

Launch party in April
Old 03-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Notmelo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the R is the ultimate road car, anyone taking it without CFS? I have three Porsches with CF and one with 18 way, ventilated seats. Guess which one always gets to go on road trips? Also, does anyone know the weight penalty for comfortable vs. carbon?
Old 03-27-2016, 02:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

This thing is starting to grow on me. Funny, this happened with the 991 GT3 as well. I imagine the RS won't be far behind.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 955 Posts

Auto Express brief ride review:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...-r-ride-review
Attached Images    
Old 04-01-2016, 11:46 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

As it happens, I just landed in France for the last piece of this 911R promotion. I'll be driving the car a bunch this weekend on a closed-off section of mountain road that was used as a stage in the 1969 Tour de France Automobile. So I'll have more driving impressions soon.

Quick Reply: OT:911R