Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3...Is PORSCHE becoming Ferrari???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:49 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Agree. Porsche is becoming more Audi and Bmw than ferrari. As far as GT models go Porsche pretty much satisfies demand in ROW. It's only in the US that there seems to be some shortage of supply vs demand.

It is hard to distinguish between owners solely based on brand as most ferrari owners have owned porsches in the past or own them concurrently with their ferraris.

Totally agree with you that Porsche is very much like Bimmer or Audi not Ferrair!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:49 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
exactly.
a lot of people have too many things and too little time to experience them.
then keep adding more and more things until they don't know what they have.
like mr wilde said, "they know the price of everything and the value of nothing"
And the biggest issue is the damn 918 VIP program. Most all of those RS cars are probably going into storage to be bubbled wrapped and wiped with a diaper. What would be funny is if the RS begins to start depreciating like a normal car...I wonder what the collectors will do at that point.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I've said it before; the new RS is the new 458, but with PCA and Porsche track dependability..

GT4 is new GT3 but not raced and supported much yet - too new.

Many great thought above. The broken brotherhood thing feels right.
The GT4 is the least interesting to not track. Because I won't go up in value, it's cheap and now there is a GT4 CUP (but with PDK). But too new, track junkies are searching parts and setup info..

Most track junkies grab a GT4 and track the snot out of it like we did with 996/7 GT3 and some RS in depreciation years 2009-10-11 than all RS got sold because of PeteV well explained reasons.

Now many low mileage GT3 and RS are bubble wrapped or tracked a couple days a year carefully. I used to buy low mileage GT3 because it was fresh and could take a few more years of beating on track..

The new RS may suffer the Fiat curse, they get to go to the track once a year get their picture taken and are for sale with 3k miles in the future.

Not only because appreciation.
PCA is a big factor in going to the track but the typical dealer / shop support doesn't exist on track for a Fiat / Mc Laren (unless in UK) / lambo.
With the new RS I'm finding out that on track 991 CUP teams don't know what to do with ithe street RS or know how to support it.. Not that I can find anything wrong with the oem set up, right down to the Pagid R15 oem pads...
This is the same for the GT4 but maybe that will come with the GT4 with enough GT4's on track.
The GT4 is a track support business opportunity for shops like BGB that have been playing with 3.8L Caymans for years and racing them, as well as other shops racing the GT4CUP.

I don't see many shops specializing in RS track setup and support.. Something that was a natural given with pre 991 GT3's..
Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Rolex doesn't market adjust their watches. Not even the hard to get stuff
yes they do. in USA, try to buy a SSD. 50% or more of the dealers mark them up or you have to buy OTHER stuff in order to get a SSD at msrp.

buy a ALS 31, a grand lange, jumbo nautilus. ROO, journe...then MAYBE they throw you a SSD msrp.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:30 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes they do. in USA, try to buy a SSD. 50% or more of the dealers mark them up or you have to buy OTHER stuff in order to get a SSD at msrp.

buy a ALS 31, a grand lange, jumbo nautilus. ROO, journe...then MAYBE they throw you a SSD msrp.
Watches are overrated...I rather have a garage full of cars that I want to drive versus pieces of metal that are on my wrist. Besides, watches don't give you experiences like cars do and if I want to tell time I'll just check my iPhone.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
This is a venting post---not meant to flame or blast private parties from maintiing valueable resale values. That being said, Porsche is trying its best to become Ferrari. It is limting vehicle production to effectively limit the ability of people to own their vehicles. I do not want Porsche to become Ferrari---I think the typical Porsche owner is intelligent, a bit OCD, and a person you would enjoy going on a road trip with----Ferarri owners are typically obsessed with having a car in their garage nobody can afford or own---Porsche owners are driving their cars while Ferrari owners are looking at the resale of their garage queens---- Hey Porsche make some GT3's and GT3 RS's --only the private partiies benefit from this artificial market restriction---Penalize the dealers that charge 25k, 50K, 100K for added mark-up---These dealership practices attract the wronng type of owners and ultimately ruin the image and reputation of the typical 911 owner. Yes I know a couple Ferrari owners that happen to be nice but they are not driving their cars---Cars are meant to be driven---a PORSCHE is meant to be driven !!!
I'm test driving the new Shelby Mustang GT350 tomorrow at Sebring as part of the Ford Road Show. 8200 redline flat crank V8. $55k base price. From all I hear about this car, it could be an answer for those who share your frustrations.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

^^ Please report in and see about real world delivery times
Old 10-12-2015, 07:53 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
For me owning a 996 GT3 was like being a member of a selective club. One that required sacrifices and special efforts to join. One that we could tell the motorsports department had helped create and was given more leeway in engineering than for decades in the USA. Yes, the clutch pedal was firm as was the suspension. Learning to drive it well on the track made me appreciate its talents and forced me to improve mine. It was closer to the cup race car than we had hoped it would be and never would be again. Talking to other 996 GT3 owners just confirmed it. The main topic was mods for enhanced track performance. If they were cup parts so much the better. I knew few people that didn't track their GT3 but they were the oddity.
The 997.1 GT3, with its sunroof, nicer interior and easier to live with suspension widened the membership but you still had to earn your spot in the (mostly) brotherhood. The 997.1 RS seemed to be built more for posers and collectors as it really didn't offer any more performance just wider hips and louder graphics. We welcomed them but most dropped out fearing damage to their precious toys. Those cars started the trend of low mileage being selling points rather than mods. They seemed more like special editions calculated by marketing and targeted to enhance the brand. A smaller percentage drove their cars on the track. Many used them as daily drivers, at least when weather allowed.
The 997.2, RS and 4.0 seemed to move the GT3 back to its roots as a barely housebroken race car. Although the higher priced RS and 4.0 was not often seen on track. More members, but a smaller percentage on track.

The 991 with its automatic transmission seemed to be an effort to split the difference even though for once the heart, the powerplant, was not really cup car related. An approachable GT3 for the masses, or at least the masses with the money to buy one. No sacrifice needed, stick it in auto to go for dinner or groceries. Only a few are used on track now beyond the green run groups. I hear complaints about the tire wear and fear of damaging their ceramic brakes. And resale...

So, the brotherhood has been diluted so that PCNA can move more product. I thought that was what the Cayenne was for. The marketing planners are in control and have broken down the psychological patterns of their GT target market so well. But they missed one thing, the club is now one I don't recognize. Conversations are more about future appreciation rather than apexes and tire pressures. Maybe the GT4 and clubsport will help start a new club. Hopefully they will build enough so that people will forget about treating them as virgins and drive the hell out of them. I can hope.
+100 Well stated!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:00 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
no offense to those here owing a Ferrari….but I agree, with a Ferrari you have some (not all) douchey owners. I buy a Porsche because it says I am confident, I dont need a ***** extension, I am smart and have bought a car that is reliable and of high quality and most importantly it says I WORK FOR A LIVING AND HAVE MADE MY MONEY…people who pay way over retail for any product do not send that message with that product. Again no offense to those who dont fit the stereotype
I own both and quite honestly all the Ferrari owners I've met have been a great bunch of people that appreciate all sports cars....there's douchy Ferrari owners for sure, and douchy Porsche owners, and Honda owners.....there's douchy people period....
Old 10-12-2015, 08:00 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Not only because appreciation.
PCA is a big factor in going to the track but the typical dealer / shop support doesn't exist on track for a Fiat / Mc Laren (unless in UK) / lambo.
With the new RS I'm finding out that on track 991 CUP teams don't know what to do with ithe street RS or know how to support it.. Not that I can find anything wrong with the oem set up, right down to the Pagid R15 oem pads...

I don't see many shops specializing in RS track setup and support.. Something that was a natural given with pre 991 GT3's..
The 991 GTs are wicked fast - but they have moved away from the motorsport roots. Cup cars don't have 4 wheel steer, pdk or 9a1 engines - so I suspect it might takes some time for some shops to fill that void.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:10 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Watches are overrated...I rather have a garage full of cars that I want to drive versus pieces of metal that are on my wrist. Besides, watches don't give you experiences like cars do and if I want to tell time I'll just check my iPhone.

you can have both....

Old 10-12-2015, 03:42 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
if I want to tell time I'll just check my iPhone.
I have not worn a watch since I started carrying a cell phone. No need.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I have not worn a watch since I started carrying a cell phone. No need.
Not with the earlier crappy phones, but since smartphones came out, I see no need to wear a watch, and definitely no reason to buy an expensive one.

I'd rather spend that money on cars and women
Old 10-12-2015, 04:05 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Watches are mechanical engineering wonders before clock objects

softphones stay at watches as public transports stay at sport cars
Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

While I have no interest in watches I won't knock people that spend a large amount of money on a needless item....much like our cars

Quick Reply: 991 GT3...Is PORSCHE becoming Ferrari???