Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports Chrono Pkg offer Launch Control? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015 | 08:12 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Default Sports Chrono Pkg offer Launch Control? Need advice

I thought sports chrono pkg was just an app and a timer. My sales rep says it also offers sports plus but I don't see that in the gt3. Trying to lock it in today.

I was going without sports chrono
Old 10-03-2015 | 09:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by German_Saint
I thought sports chrono pkg was just an app and a timer. My sales rep says it also offers sports plus but I don't see that in the gt3. Trying to lock it in today.

Ditch Sport Chrono. It does nothing but give you the clock and a crap app that rarely works.
Old 10-03-2015 | 10:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Ditch Sport Chrono. It does nothing but give you the clock and a crap app that rarely works.
Woah! Mech! The app finally showed it's true colors to you? I've given the app so many tries and it's only worked flawlessly once. I've thrown in the towel totally at this point.
Old 10-03-2015 | 10:56 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

I thought sports chrono pkg was just an app and a timer. My sales rep says it also offers sports plus but I don't see that in the gt3. Trying to lock it in today. I was going without sports chrono
GT3 isn't like a garden variety 911 where SC gives you Sport Plus. As was said above it only gives you the clock and a track app that most seem to dislike. Not worth it IMO, and I can't stand the clock. I passed on it for my '16 build.
Old 10-03-2015 | 11:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sports Chrono on the GT3 gives you the dash clock/timer and the Track App.

As to the latter, I have had no problems with it.
Old 10-03-2015 | 11:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Woah! Mech! The app finally showed it's true colors to you? I've given the app so many tries and it's only worked flawlessly once. I've thrown in the towel totally at this point.
Yes... I couldn't even get the app to connect to the car after 10 tries at your Thunderhill event.
Old 10-03-2015 | 11:35 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Think about resale I would get it even if you never used it as it will be more marketable with it when it's time to sell than without it!!
Old 10-03-2015 | 11:49 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Sports Chrono on the GT3 gives you the dash clock/timer and the Track App.

As to the latter, I have had no problems with it.
For some reason now I can connect to car wifi no problem, but the app neve successfully connects to the "AppControlUnit" so I have a perpetual red exclamation point.

I've tried all sequences of power cycling the car and the phone.

Looks like an update was just posted on 9/24 including a firmware update for the car, but I can't connect to try it!!
Old 10-03-2015 | 11:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tejstar01
Think about resale I would get it even if you never used it as it will be more marketable with it when it's time to sell than without it!!
Uuhhh... Not true by any stretch of the imagination. The only option on gt3 worth anything during resale are maybe the bucket seats. Rule of thumb for gt3 resale is that you get nothing back for options during resale.
Old 10-03-2015 | 11:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
For some reason now I can connect to car wifi no problem, but the app neve successfully connects to the "AppControlUnit" so I have a perpetual red exclamation point.

I've tried all sequences of power cycling the car and the phone.

Looks like an update was just posted on 9/24 including a firmware update for the car, but I can't connect to try it!!
That's really odd, Mech33.

In all honesty, I've never had any issues with connectivity with the App, either with the car, or during an in-use lap session (switching to Airplane mode helps).

Perhaps a trip to the dealer might be in the works?

Hope it works out. Cuz, I think the app is quite nifty, and gives you real-time data that you can access immediately after a lap (without any additional hardware like a laptop).
Old 10-04-2015 | 12:26 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I don't see an answer yet to the question in your header so....the GT3 comes with launch control standard so you don't need sport chrono for that.
Old 10-04-2015 | 01:37 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Looks like it might be a compatibility issue between the app and the new iPhone 6S. If I go try the app on an old iPad instead, it connects just fine and took the firmware update. But went back to the iPhone and still no dice...

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That's really odd, Mech33.

In all honesty, I've never had any issues with connectivity with the App, either with the car, or during an in-use lap session (switching to Airplane mode helps).

Perhaps a trip to the dealer might be in the works?

Hope it works out. Cuz, I think the app is quite nifty, and gives you real-time data that you can access immediately after a lap (without any additional hardware like a laptop).
Old 10-04-2015 | 11:51 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

My girlfriend has used the app with her GT4 on an iPhone 6+ without any issues. Seems pretty good and really nice to have at the track. You have immediate access to the metrics w/o even needing to use a computer.
Old 10-04-2015 | 12:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Off topic but had to mention- I used launch control for the first time Friday evening. Holly smokes. My Brother and I were freakin giddy. Talk about fast WOW!!!!. I can not believe they allow this feature in street cars. In the wrong hands it could be very dangerous. I love this car
Old 10-04-2015 | 12:56 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Isn't launch control only available with the sport chrono, as well? I thought I read that somewhere.

Quick Reply: Sports Chrono Pkg offer Launch Control? Need advice