Sponsored by:

Front light rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:28 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No kidding! It doesn't look like rock chips to me either; there are so many of them! To get that kind of result on the headlights you'd think there would also be rash on the paint finish (wrapped or not), wheels, etc. And after only 2300 miles. Very strange....
It happens when you drive close to a car in front of you.. If you ever go on a spirited drive with many cars in front of you, I recommend to tape your lights so you don't get the same as me.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
It happens when you drive close to a car in front of you.. If you ever go on a spirited drive with many cars in front of you, I recommend to tape your lights so you don't get the same as me.
I understand what you're saying. I picked up a few chips to my front bumper doing exactly what you describe which is why I somewhat belatedly decided to wrap my bumper and hood; the first time I've ever had that done. My headlights are still pristine.

OTOH, your headlights look like they've been sandblasted with hundreds (thousands?) of tiny chips and I would have thought that if your headlights took that much damage, you'd also be seeing similar effects on your paint/wrap and wheels (which are notorious for picking up chips due to their turbine design).

I don't mean to doubt you, Shahano, and I sympathize with the problem. It just amazes me that your lenses have taken that much damage in 2300 miles of road driving.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hood, bumpers, and front quarter panel are all Xpel wrapped. Should have done the same with the headlights
Old 09-29-2015, 09:36 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No kidding! It doesn't look like rock chips to me either; there are so many of them! To get that kind of result on the headlights you'd think there would also be rash on the paint finish (wrapped or not), wheels, etc. And after only 2300 miles. Very strange....
Has anyone tried to have them replaced under warranty If there is no sign of chips on the rest of the car? Do they get swirl marks from regular Washings?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Has anyone tried to have them replaced under warranty If there is no sign of chips on the rest of the car? Do they get swirl marks from regular Washings?
No signs of swirl marks on my lenses. I never use any abrasive products or harsh chemicals on them, just car wash soap and a microfiber wash mitt or something like Meguiars Qwik Detailer for touch up cleaning.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:29 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I use Auto Finess crystal and a microfiber cloth, it's one of the few products I've found that is ok with all the new coatings, lexan etc. We have 20,000 miles on 4 Porsches at the moment, none have headlight covers and there are 2 rock chips in total (on a Macan Turbo) driving on NY roads year round.

Here's the description on Auto Finesse Crystal:
At Auto Finesse, our quest for the holy grail of flawless glass resulted in Crystal glass cleaner. Its highly concentrated, and finely balanced blend of mild distilled solvents represents a major advancement over common detergent-based glass cleaners. Fingerprints and greasy films can be effortlessly removed, before quickly flashing away to reveal a streak and smear free finish. Crystal sets a new standard for optical clarity, ending our long search for the perfect glass cleaner.

Like all Auto Finesse car care products, Crystal is formulated to suit the needs of professional detailers, but can be used with great success by detailing enthusiasts and first time detailers as well. Its fast-flashing alcohol based formula is safe on all glass surfaces, including mirrors, and sensitive window tints. Crystal can even be used to effectively clean the lightweight polycarbonate or acrylic windows used in high-performance, or racing vehicles.

Auto Finesse Crystal is also ideally suited for use in conjunction with the latest nanotechnology windscreen and glass sealants. Its superb cleaning power, and residue-free finish make it the perfect product to prep for the installation of these advanced coatings, ensuring maximum durability. Crystal is also gentle enough to maintain these durable sealants once applied, helping to keep them at the peak of their performance. This allows you to enjoy the safety that clear vision brings.

As professional detailers, we at Auto Finesse know that finding the best glass cleaner can be one of the hardest things to do. Once we developed Crystal, the process of cleaning glass changed for us completely. Soon, we weren’t just using it on the cars in our detailing studio, but bringing it home to use on windows, mirrors, and glass table tops! The struggle to obtain perfect glass is finally gone, and all that is left is Crystal clarity…

Quick Reply: Front light rock chips