Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front light rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:18 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Got chips in my headlight the first day I drove it. That happened to be on the autobahn, so I guess it is a special rash.
The following users liked this post:
Atrokz (06-09-2022)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Your headlight looks like my windshield! I had my headlights covered with I Xpel Ultimate when the car was wrapped. I was not going to do it but my installer assured me they would get trashed. Not sure what will happen when the Xpel is removed, but to this point the headlights and the wrap look perfect. My windshield on the other hand needs to be replaced. Its covered with small chips and pits from the last Smokeys run. I will probably get the exterior film applied when I replace it. Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:17 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Have you used it? A guy at track with GT3 used a "repair kit" (don't know if it was 3M) to remedy the chips and it caused his lens assemblies to delaminate shortly after use so he had to replace both of them?
I used it on my 2007 Range Rover and had an amazing result. I have not had much wear on my other cars so I have not tried it on a new style light that has a protective coating.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Your headlight looks like my windshield! I had my headlights covered with I Xpel Ultimate when the car was wrapped. I was not going to do it but my installer assured me they would get trashed. Not sure what will happen when the Xpel is removed, but to this point the headlights and the wrap look perfect. My windshield on the other hand needs to be replaced. Its covered with small chips and pits from the last Smokeys run. I will probably get the exterior film applied when I replace it. Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck.
Years ago I did an Angeles Crest run with a bunch of 350z owners. The sand that was kicked up caused a starfield of pock marks upon my windshield. After that experience, when I wrapped my car, I absolutely did the Clearplex option. Sure enough, I got a mark from my last Angeles Crest run but, it's on Clearplex, not on the windshield itself. A buddy of mine on the other hand was not so fortunate.

Dan (seriously regards wrap of the entire car as good payment for peace of mind)
Old 09-21-2015, 10:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,426 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Can you clarify the part about removal of the film causing UV delamination? Does removal of the film always result in the UV coating needing to be replaced?
No.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:24 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAN, I will admit it, you were right... I called the body shop (they are excellent) and they told me it is not a big deal that they could polish it and apply the Xpel, I told them about delamination, and he didn't seem to worry. Im kicking myself coz like you they also told me to put xpel on the lights.
It gets dusty here so when we go for spirited drives in the morning, rocks from other cars come onto my car, which is why it looks like it does, especially when driving behind a 458 (seems to throw alot of rocks)
Old 09-22-2015, 03:25 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

One more question, if they polish the lights, are you sure they must reapply a UV coating??
Old 09-22-2015, 10:51 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
One more question, if they polish the lights, are you sure they must reapply a UV coating??
No, they wont be able to re-apply the factory UV coat.

I know Suntek clearbra has UV protection. Not sure about XPEL but it probably does too. Ask your clearbra man, he'll tell you for sure.

Dan (wishes Shahano good luck)
Old 09-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine protected from the start with excel. No problems to date at 8k miles.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the goodluck Dan, will take it in this weekend...
Will update you all on Monday
Old 09-23-2015, 06:29 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not cover my Black PDLS lights. At the time, there was the 'delamination scare" so I chose not to cover. Now, 4,000 miles into ownership, my headlight look horrible. And, against the black background, it is very visible. Definitely a 991 design problem. I look back now and wish I covered them. They would look a heck of a lot better.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:09 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Milehigh, same thing happened to me.. I am getting them polished and xpel protected this week.. Will let you know the outcome. Hopefully it will be slightly better.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Milehigh, same thing happened to me.. I am getting them polished and xpel protected this week.. Will let you know the outcome. Hopefully it will be slightly better.
Let me know how it goes.......
Old 09-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't know much about delamination, but my guess is that if that happened, you could simply wet-sand the UV coat and recover the lights with film.

Here is the problem with removing the UV coating:

1.) The lights will never look quite as good as new.
2.) The will need to be re-polished more often to keep looking decent.

You will never get the same "wet" shiny look you had when new, but with the UV coat removed they can still look decent. I never remove the coating unless I absolutely have to do so.

Here is how you do repair hazed, scratched, yellowed lights:
Wet Sand with 1500 Grit (Don't freak out that your light turned milky white.)
Wet Sand with 3000 Grit
Polish with a Compounding Polish like Meguiar's M105 and a microfiber cutting pad
Finish polish with Menzerna SF4000
Then you can wax, seal, coat, clear film over top.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I'm not sure that's rock chips unless you drive behind quarry trucks all the time? It might be damage from whatever you're cleaning them with.
Originally Posted by bigkraig
looks like he drove through a sand storm
No kidding! It doesn't look like rock chips to me either; there are so many of them! To get that kind of result on the headlights you'd think there would also be rash on the paint finish (wrapped or not), wheels, etc. And after only 2300 miles. Very strange....

Quick Reply: Front light rock chips