Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody get to drive an AMG GTs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody get to drive an AMG GTs?

I saw it at the car show and heard one start at the dealership many months ago. I personally love the exhaust note. I finally got a build spot for next Feb and took it. I know opinions vary, and I am a porsche guy at heart but there is a lot to like about this car. I have no intentions of selling my GT3. My question, has anyone on this site driven it? Please give me your impressions.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took an amg gt S on an extended test drive. I was very impressed. Car looks better in person. It has a lot of torque and to me feels closer to 600 hp, not 500. The car sounds great! Handling is also very good. The biggest surprise I had was how much better the DCT was, compared to the sl 63, which I have driven. It's not pdk-s good, but close.
Altogether, it's an outstanding car. It has more of a GT feel to it versus a pure sports car like a gt3. I would not give up my gt3 for one, but it may be my 2nd choice in the $140-$160 price range.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:35 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

interesting thread.

I think the AMG GTS is a reasonable option to consider for individuals who are want an intense car like a GT3 but don't plan to ever track their GT3.

One of the side effects of the newer, more accessible, softer 991 GT3 is that people bought a 991 GT3 that wouldn't have considered them in years past. This may not be a good idea, considering all the passionate folks who haven't been able to secure a GT3 allocation.

I was talking to a high end car broker yesterday and he had two clients sell him their 991 GT3 in the past month, and both then purchased an AMG GTS.

Last edited by Drifting; 09-07-2015 at 02:35 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-07-2015, 03:57 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Drove an AMG GTs this summer in Southern California on some nice roads. The car is a very nice all rounded Grand Toursimo car. The seating position felt nice and if you are familiar with Mercedes you would feel right at home. The engine made good power and the turbo was not overly laggy. It made a good sound but not as brut as the old 6.2 they used to have, but nice enough nevertheless. I had one negative about the car which was the steering off center. Once you tip the wheel into a corner, it's so quick it's unnerving and feels as though the car becomes unsettled. It's a good effort by AMG but it's not a 911, and it's by no means a GT3 (not that AMG was intending) replacement.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:11 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Had the opportunity to drive it at Nürburgring GP track.

Fast, sounded ice, very comfy inside, brakes where powerful but at least in my car they did not release brake pressure properly.

At the time I asked about 6-point harnesses and roll bar but I got the impression that you not could order it with those items.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:13 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Drove an AMG GTs this summer in Southern California on some nice roads. The car is a very nice all rounded Grand Toursimo car. The seating position felt nice and if you are familiar with Mercedes you would feel right at home. The engine made good power and the turbo was not overly laggy. It made a good sound but not as brut as the old 6.2 they used to have, but nice enough nevertheless. I had one negative about the car which was the steering off center. Once you tip the wheel into a corner, it's so quick it's unnerving and feels as though the car becomes unsettled. It's a good effort by AMG but it's not a 911, and it's by no means a GT3 (not that AMG was intending) replacement.
Zulu,

Regarding the seating position. You said it felt nice. Did you feel that you were sitting, lower, or the same as the GT3?

I like a low seat in GT cars as I can better feel the weight transfer in the car on the track and with spirited drives on back roads. I've never found a BMW or Mercedes that offered a seat as low as what I find in Porsches, particularly GT Porsches, so I'm curious what the seat position is like in the AMG GTS. The seat position must be a bit higher just to see over that enormously long front end of the AMG GTS?

Last edited by Drifting; 09-07-2015 at 04:14 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-07-2015, 05:51 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Zulu,

Regarding the seating position. You said it felt nice. Did you feel that you were sitting, lower, or the same as the GT3?

I like a low seat in GT cars as I can better feel the weight transfer in the car on the track and with spirited drives on back roads. I've never found a BMW or Mercedes that offered a seat as low as what I find in Porsches, particularly GT Porsches, so I'm curious what the seat position is like in the AMG GTS. The seat position must be a bit higher just to see over that enormously long front end of the AMG GTS?
It's a low car, and it does feel like it. As to your question, compared to the GT3, I have the folding bucket seats in my GT3 and that seat actually sits pretty high (compared to the 14 way I had in my previous 991 Carrera S). That being said, the GT3 feels more nimble than the C2S (although I felt I was seated higher). Given that I felt seated low in the AMG GTs, the car's cockpit gives a wrap around feeling, although the car feels heavier, it is not as nimble as either the C2S or GT3 and it's tough to tell if it's higher or lower seating position compared to the AMG.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't driven one but happy to see positive remarks above. Mine (will be the DD) goes into production next month
Old 09-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
I took an amg gt S on an extended test drive. I was very impressed. Car looks better in person. It has a lot of torque and to me feels closer to 600 hp, not 500. The car sounds great! Handling is also very good. The biggest surprise I had was how much better the DCT was, compared to the sl 63, which I have driven. It's not pdk-s good, but close.
Altogether, it's an outstanding car. It has more of a GT feel to it versus a pure sports car like a gt3. I would not give up my gt3 for one, but it may be my 2nd choice in the $140-$160 price range.
Thanks everyone for your input. Anyone else who wants to give feedback feel free.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Haven't driven one but happy to see positive remarks above. Mine (will be the DD) goes into production next month
Sam, you have the strongest case of automotive ADHD I've seen on this board. But I love your choices
Old 09-07-2015, 05:51 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had one for a month and loved it .The front is long and you can barely see 5 ft in front of you but it's a nice change from 911's
Its a great car. very fun to drive and handles great. they have 509hp to the wheels.
The turbo delivery is very smooth. You can adjust suspension,TC, tranny and exhaust separately and on the fly.
You can cruise comfortably on canyon roads or act a fool with its 265 front tires and Ceramics on a track of course XD

I had dry carbon interior with alcantara seats/wheel and lower dash ( like a gt3) and piona black console. I really like the layout of the buttons and everything in the interior.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:53 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Drove a GT-S around COTA a few months ago during an AMG Customer Appreciation Event - along with most all AMG models. It was far better looking than the Photographs I've seen. My impressions were that it was a fast, comfortable GT car with a great looking exterior and lush interior (except for the iPad looking display screen that seemed like an aftermarket addition isolated from any attempt at panel integration)
The exhaust note was outstanding for a Turbo, deep, with lots of crackling and popping to let anyone within earshot believe this was a real bad-boy engine. I had a difficult time placing the front wheels on the apex as the front hood seemed to go on forever disappearing out of the driver's view. - This was probably my own unfamiliarity and I'm sure would disappear with time. Tactile sensations of controls and switchgear
convey precision and craftsmanship as did the individually signed engine plaque. I believe all AMG
engines are totally assembled by a single individual who remains responsible forever for its quality,
a delightful retro touch in these days of mass Automobile production by robots. The engine certainly had more than adequate Torque but its smaller 4 Liter displacement was no match for the stump-pulling 5.5 Liter 577 HP E63 S model, which I frankly preferred. IMHO, as a GT car, the GT-S is certainly a worthy, if more relaxed competitor to the newer 911 models.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I sat in one, but no harness mounting points/roll bar available and I barely fit without helmet.

The GT3 feels gigantic inside competed to previous 911's but the AMG GT felt claustrophobic. I'll take a C E S 63 Coupe instead. Hell I might look up an old 6.2l E class or CL63 to keep the 500E company.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,058 Likes on 578 Posts

Can't wait for black series
Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The latest issue of Car & Driver has a VIR "Lightning Lap" feature. The 991 GT3 is only a fraction of a second faster than the AMG GTS (2:50.4 vs. 2:51.0). The new Z06 smokes both of them at 2:44.6.

Quick Reply: Anybody get to drive an AMG GTs?