Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I'm hating my GT3RS more and more...and I've yet to receive it

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 232 Posts

Still waiting for my allocation...patiently...never has it been so hard to spend 200k...
Old 09-02-2015, 12:02 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
I fail to see how the 918 buyers effect the normal allocations to a dealership. The dealership only has the 918 sale because the buyer chose to use that dealership and the RS allocation that comes with the 918 purchase wouldn't have been that dealerships if they hadn't been chosen, it would have gone somewhere else.

All the RS's that are 918 allocated would then be pushed to the dealerships based on how they would normally allocate a GT car, no?
Porsche made a total of 918 of the 918 model. All have been sold. However, all those buyers of the 918 get first dibs on any "specialty" car that Porsche makes for 10 years. This was done as an incentive to move the 918, as Porsche had a rough start attracting buyers. The GT3 RS is the current top of the line "specialty" car, so that's the one most 918 buyers choose.

Let's assume all 918 buyers take a GT3 RS. That means of the estimated 2000 total GT3 RS's made and sold world-wide, nearly half of them go to the 918 buyers. Hence, the RS is very scarce and (some of) the dealers of course realize this and a feeding frenzy ensues as they charge ungodly amounts of "market adjustment".
Old 09-02-2015, 12:02 AM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Very little anyways ;-). I do think John is exceptionally straight forward and communicates well. Talked to him this morning and said he has a gt silver RS coming shortly that a client ordered. He would give it to me for 25k discount and tell his other client "it don't come in".
Thats funny. He called me this afternoon and said he had a silver RS coming and I could have it because, the original buyer and the the follow-up buyer, he offered it to, never bought him lunch. I told him I could correct that. The Lobster and four Martinis he had were only $200 bucks. Good deal, heh?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 384 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Porsche made a total of 918 of the 918 model. All have been sold. However, all those buyers of the 918 get first dibs on any "specialty" car that Porsche makes for 10 years. This was done as an incentive to move the 918, as Porsche had a rough start attracting buyers. The GT3 RS is the current top of the line "specialty" car, so that's the one most 918 buyers choose.

Let's assume all 918 buyers take a GT3 RS. That means of the estimated 2000 total GT3 RS's made and sold world-wide, nearly half of them go to the 918 buyers. Hence, the RS is very scarce and (some of) the dealers of course realize this and a feeding frenzy ensues as they charge ungodly amounts of "market adjustment".
I completely understand what they did with the 918. However I don't think that plays around with a dealerships allocations, it just reduces the number of allocations total. If they were going to get 2 allocations w/o a 918 delivery and they have a 918 delivery they would get 3.

I agree, what the 918 does is soak up some of the RS allocations However I also thought it was stated somewhere that not all 918 owners were part of the VIP program and any resales kick the original owner out of the program and the new owner doesn't participate so I don't think the dilution is as great as is thought. That said this is nothing to the greed of the dealers that are trying to get the absurd mark ups and changing up who purchases their cars based on who has the most money.

Given they did something similar (and still are to some degree) with the GT3, albeit at a smaller mark up, does it surprise anyone they do it with the RS? If everyone in the market didn't pay the premium they wouldn't get it, but some people will so it continues.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:14 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Thats funny. He called me this afternoon and said he had a silver RS coming and I could have it because, the original buyer and the the follow-up buyer, he offered it to, never bought him lunch. I told him I could correct that. The Lobster and four Martinis he had were only $200 bucks. Good deal, heh?
Note to self - Take John to lunch soon.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:09 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium

I'm certainly no expert on this but I have been a sales rep for several high products (although not million dollar cars ) but to me it's a flawed market strategy to give GT car "dibs" for an effing decade? to 918 owners. So much for widening your market share or bringing new customers to your dealer or brand. This keeping 80% of the cars in the hands of 20% of the buyers is not generally how you want to insure long term success of a brand. What am I missing?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:24 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your replies. Whatever is happening at Porsche, it's very sad to find that connections/money trumps loyalty/propriety. I really do want the car but I don't want to be treated like a used rag in the process. Does anyone think that if I email Porsche and explain my situation that at least they would be able to at least give me an ultraviolet allocation a couple weeks in advance?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aboodchy
Thank you all for your replies. Whatever is happening at Porsche, it's very sad to find that connections/money trumps loyalty/propriety. I really do want the car but I don't want to be treated like a used rag in the process. Does anyone think that if I email Porsche and explain my situation that at least they would be able to at least give me an ultraviolet allocation a couple weeks in advance?
It's worth a try. All mine got me was a courtesy phone call and a polite "no".
Old 09-02-2015, 03:29 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Note to self - Take John to lunch soon.
I hope I'm not too late.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:42 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I hope I'm not too late.
I'm sorry, Jim, I'm afraid you are. I took him to lunch today.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:14 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allans
I talked to him today and he said he was recalling a white RS so that I could use it as a loner till mine came in. Also I'm getting mine at invoice. Nice guys.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry, Jim, I'm afraid you are. I took him to lunch today.
Yeah, he said he tried to make you feel better about me getting my RS at invoice.

Quick Reply: Why I'm hating my GT3RS more and more...and I've yet to receive it