Sponsored by:

Race tracks in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:40 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
You are referring to tourist days on the Nordschleife and I've done that a few times and it's not as great as you think...
Yup. Between the crashes and queues to get back on, last month it took me all afternoon to get four laps in on a sunny Saturday. Like when a ride breaks down at Disneyland in summer.

Although you don't have to come all the way off the track anymore between laps; there is a card reader/toll gate arrangement.

Still a blast, though!

To the OP, local clubs typically rent tracks in the U.S. for a day or weekend; PCA and BMWCCA are good places to start looking, as they typically run safe events. Depending on where you are, I am sure people here can give you more input.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Oh please...don't think I'm not one to prepare. I'm a stickler for proper practice, planning and preparation. I can assure you of that.

What I liked about the 'Ring was I could stop in, have some fun for 11 miles and be on my way. Just makes it more accessible, more often. And while I would agree that the tourist days are not as safe as fully organized driving events, it's far safer than getting your high speed kicks in on public roads.

To be fair, I have not experienced ANY road courses here in the states. Just drag strips. Drag strips are pretty easy also.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best become educated on the process of getting involved with road course driving events?

Please excuse the 'newbie' question.

Thanks!
I don't know where you live or how committed you are to track driving, but there are several driving clubs around the country. You'd have to join and pay the fees, but for example at MotorSport Ranch in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area on Member day you simply arrive and drive, with 30-minute sessions scheduled throughout the day. Last weekend was the 3.1 mile configuration and a good time was had by all.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:11 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing in the US that comes even close would be Open Road Racing which is conducted on closed sections of public roads. However these are a form of Rally where competitors are assigned speed classes (maximum speed) by experience and car prep level; in this form of racing, regardless of class, you are aiming for a specific par time. I've never participated in one, but they sound like yet a completely different experience from the Nordschleife or an HPDE day.

The Big Bend Open Road Race is 59 miles in each direction on US Highway 285.

Another, more well known event, is the Silver State Classic held in Nevada on State Route #318 between Lund and Hiko. This path is 90 miles of fenced, two lane highway with long straights, twisty sections and dips.

Ryan
Old 09-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
There is nothing like the Nordschleife anywhere else in the world. It is unique and the fact it even exists boggles my mind.

As for other "normal" race circuits, the USA has quite a few premier tracks all with lengths on par with the other top European tracks.

Showing up and paying to run a track as if it was a public road, a la touristenfahrten days at the 'Ring, I think is mostly a unique German thing. The USA couldn't swallow the liability and does not have the cultural driving discipline for it, imo.
Nothing like it except the buttholes on the motorcycles who get to race it, that of course I'm speaking of Isle of Man!
Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located?
Old 09-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throw a rock and hit Willow Springs...

That and Long Beach when I'm working remote or not helping mumsy.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
The only thing in the US that comes even close would be Open Road Racing which is conducted on closed sections of public roads. However these are a form of Rally where competitors are assigned speed classes (maximum speed) by experience and car prep level; in this form of racing, regardless of class, you are aiming for a specific par time. I've never participated in one, but they sound like yet a completely different experience from the Nordschleife or an HPDE day.

The Big Bend Open Road Race is 59 miles in each direction on US Highway 285.

Another, more well known event, is the Silver State Classic held in Nevada on State Route #318 between Lund and Hiko. This path is 90 miles of fenced, two lane highway with long straights, twisty sections and dips.

Ryan

i've heard of such events - sound amazing to participate. i should get out more lol
Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I don't know where you live or how committed you are to track driving, but there are several driving clubs around the country. You'd have to join and pay the fees, but for example at MotorSport Ranch in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area on Member day you simply arrive and drive, with 30-minute sessions scheduled throughout the day. Last weekend was the 3.1 mile configuration and a good time was had by all.
Well, it seems most of those clubs are NOT in the Northeast.

I'm in PA...about an hour West of Philly. I did find New Jersey Motorsports Park which describes itself like a golf country club except you bring your car and drive the courses. Cost is $15k lifetime membership, $2400 yearly dues and $165 per member day. Up to 40 member days a year. I have no idea if that's in line with other clubs. But apparently they have small run groups with only about 220 total members.

But this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:53 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Well, it seems most of those clubs are NOT in the Northeast.

I'm in PA...about an hour West of Philly. I did find New Jersey Motorsports Park which describes itself like a golf country club except you bring your car and drive the courses. Cost is $15k lifetime membership, $2400 yearly dues and $165 per member day. Up to 40 member days a year. I have no idea if that's in line with other clubs. But apparently they have small run groups with only about 220 total members.

But this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
You have Monticello, Lime Rock and NJMP in the NE. All easy enough from PA - MMC is the pick of the bunch IMO but also the most expensive.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NateOZ
You have Monticello, Lime Rock and NJMP in the NE. All easy enough from PA - MMC is the pick of the bunch IMO but also the most expensive.
True. I guess I was hopeful to have something closer. All those spots are 2+ hours one way. Which is def not horrible... But also not something that can be done on a whim with my work schedule.

Thanks Nate!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Why is MMC the 'pick' in your opinion?

I just checked out the drivers clubs for both Lime Rock and MMC.

They are both way more expensive than NJMP. What does NJMP lack that the others have?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:53 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Longest circuit and it's open the most days for members - but you pay for it.

Another option worth doing is something like Dave Murry track days - track goes green and you drive as much as you want in a day. They go around to different tracks and if the dates work for your schedule it's a good way to get a feel for them.

If you really start to get into it, daily running costs can be very high regardless of where...
Old 09-02-2015, 10:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 739 Posts

Dave Murry is intended to be for advanced driving only.
Great venue for max track time in a day.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Dave Murry is intended to be for advanced driving only.
Great venue for max track time in a day.
Where are these max track time days that you speak of? The best ones of the left coast are the Mooty private days.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 739 Posts

Here you go.
http://www.davidmurry.com/track-days

Quick Reply: Race tracks in the US?