Race tracks in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:12 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Race tracks in the US?

Hello fellow auto enthusiasts.

From what I can ascertain, we don't have anything like the Nurburgring here in the US.

Specifically, a track that you can show up at, during certain days and times and simply pay a toll per lap and have at it at your own risk.

It seems all the tracks here only have 'track days' that require you to pre-register, pay what seems to be at least $2-250 and require pre-tech inspection and just more prep and organization in general. Whereas, show up at the 'Ring and pay your toll and you're off.

And secondarily... The tracks in the US don't seem to be as anywhere near as long in terms of kilometers/miles...?

Am I correct in this perception? I'm hoping I may be wrong...

Thanks gents.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:24 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

You are correct
Old 08-30-2015, 02:25 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There is nothing like the Nordschleife anywhere else in the world. It is unique and the fact it even exists boggles my mind.

As for other "normal" race circuits, the USA has quite a few premier tracks all with lengths on par with the other top European tracks.

Showing up and paying to run a track as if it was a public road, a la touristenfahrten days at the 'Ring, I think is mostly a unique German thing. The USA couldn't swallow the liability and does not have the cultural driving discipline for it, imo.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:26 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

How many other experiences like the nordschleife are there in the world?

It's not uncommon for a rally format to have a long section of road officially closed off for a "private event".
Old 08-30-2015, 02:27 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
How many other experiences like the nordschleife are there in the world?
I think zero. If there is another one that someone knows of, please tell me and I'll add it to my to do list.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are correct. What's wrong with being prepared? No tech and no experience (assumption) is cuckoo.

Go to a weekend event with POC, PCA, BMWCCA, etc and have an instructor right seat.
They are included in the $200-300 cost...which is an obscene bargain
Old 08-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are referring to tourist days on the Nordschleife and I've done that a few times and it's not as great as you think:

1. You can't drive "laps". You must pull off track and get in line to pay the lap toll again and on busy days there will be a line.

2. Each lap is well over $20 I am pretty sure so if you manage to do 10 laps in a day you will spend over $200.

3. Doing many laps is tough as I've never attended a tourist day when there were not so many crashes that the track closed one or more times during the day. Also almost every lap I have driven will have one or more local yellow areas due to crashes or disabled cars.

4. It has a lot of hype but is an exquisitely dangerous place with almost no runoff anywhere and lots of rough pavement that wil upset the car. I have many races and laps under my belt and will not run the Ring at 10/10. On my last trip I did Spa also and at Spa I was running near 10/10 after maybe 10 laps and felt very comfortable with all the intelligent runoff. I had to go 4 off at Eau Rouge and Pouhon with not drama. I'd have crashed heavily doing that at the Ring

5. While organized trackdays require formal prep and inspection and training or pre-existing qualifications IMO only a fool would take the Ring and run hard without doing all those things anyway

Don't get me wrong. I love the Ring but it's a dangerous place that demands great respect and practice if you want to go fast.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:42 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Good input Keith. Thanks
Old 08-30-2015, 05:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

^^ +1

I'm 5 days at the ring, one day to setup the car and 3 private track days with coaching. I may be able to drive one day of toeristfahren but it's the most dangerous and may provide the fewest laps depending on crashes..

I only know enough about the Ring having done 6 laps to know that I don't know enough to drive an RS at pace.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I only know enough about the Ring having done 6 laps to know that I don't know enough to drive an RS at pace.
The Ring was interesting enough in my 250hp BMW 330i, I can't imagine what it will be like in a few weeks in a GT3...
Old 08-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the Nürburgring GP, which is also considered as a public road.
Less accessible (opening hours), but more secure and you can do some "timed" lap (around 7 laps per session).
It's also cheaper than the Nordschleife at the end.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
You are correct. What's wrong with being prepared? No tech and no experience (assumption) is cuckoo.

Go to a weekend event with POC, PCA, BMWCCA, etc and have an instructor right seat.
+1. Well said.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers

Oh please...don't think I'm not one to prepare. I'm a stickler for proper practice, planning and preparation. I can assure you of that.

What I liked about the 'Ring was I could stop in, have some fun for 11 miles and be on my way. Just makes it more accessible, more often. And while I would agree that the tourist days are not as safe as fully organized driving events, it's far safer than getting your high speed kicks in on public roads.

To be fair, I have not experienced ANY road courses here in the states. Just drag strips. Drag strips are pretty easy also.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best become educated on the process of getting involved with road course driving events?

Please excuse the 'newbie' question.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:11 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Hello fellow auto enthusiasts.

From what I can ascertain, we don't have anything like the Nurburgring here in the US.

Specifically, a track that you can show up at, during certain days and times and simply pay a toll per lap and have at it at your own risk.

It seems all the tracks here only have 'track days' that require you to pre-register, pay what seems to be at least $2-250 and require pre-tech inspection and just more prep and organization in general. Whereas, show up at the 'Ring and pay your toll and you're off.

And secondarily... The tracks in the US don't seem to be as anywhere near as long in terms of kilometers/miles...?

Am I correct in this perception? I'm hoping I may be wrong...

Thanks gents.
My local track has frequent open days where you can just show up and drive for a small fee (under $100 in many cases). It's not the Nurburgring, but it's better than average for American tracks and the best deal and most frequently available.

www.highplainsraceway.com
Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
You are referring to tourist days on the Nordschleife and I've done that a few times and it's not as great as you think:

1. You can't drive "laps". You must pull off track and get in line to pay the lap toll again and on busy days there will be a line.

2. Each lap is well over $20 I am pretty sure so if you manage to do 10 laps in a day you will spend over $200.

3. Doing many laps is tough as I've never attended a tourist day when there were not so many crashes that the track closed one or more times during the day. Also almost every lap I have driven will have one or more local yellow areas due to crashes or disabled cars.

4. It has a lot of hype but is an exquisitely dangerous place with almost no runoff anywhere and lots of rough pavement that wil upset the car. I have many races and laps under my belt and will not run the Ring at 10/10. On my last trip I did Spa also and at Spa I was running near 10/10 after maybe 10 laps and felt very comfortable with all the intelligent runoff. I had to go 4 off at Eau Rouge and Pouhon with not drama. I'd have crashed heavily doing that at the Ring

5. While organized trackdays require formal prep and inspection and training or pre-existing qualifications IMO only a fool would take the Ring and run hard without doing all those things anyway

Don't get me wrong. I love the Ring but it's a dangerous place that demands great respect and practice if you want to go fast.
All great points and I 100% agree with each one.

I guess I see the 'Ring as the in between... Between regular public roads and full on tracks with all the rules and safety regulations.

It allows you to easily get a little high speed fun in...without all the red tape.

And yes... The car has to be up to the standards required for the level of driving you intend to perform. But IMO...that holds true at all times for me as I've been a 'road warrior' in my career since the age of 21. Spending much of my hours on the road. So I've always been adamant about keeping my vehicles at peek operation.

Quick Reply: Race tracks in the US?