911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think… RS!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:08 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I enjoy my 3.8l Cayman more than the 991 GT3, I've now traded in the GT3. My RS won't get here until February/March next year, so I've only seen them in person and not driven one. But for me, money aside and investment potential aside, I would rank them RS > GT4 > GT3.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a current owner of both GT3 and GT4, if I have an opportunity to switch to a GT3 RS (at sticker), I would do it in a heart beat. But I think it's because I can't get an RS. We always want what we can't have more.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm a big fan of mission specific cars. A car for back roads, a car for the track, a car for vintage rally, commuting, etc. A car that does a little of everything, no matter how well, can't be quite as good as cars tailored for each roll. Of course most of us have finite garage space and budgets, so there are limits...

With the GT4 and GT3 is seems you've got lots of mission overlap. Would you use both of them as street/ track cars? If so I'd probably go for RS- it'll be better than either for that mission.

However I'd personally go a different route again and take a Boxster Spyder instead of the GT4. As a street car I think it's more fun: less over-tired, better suspension for back roads, more playful, and that's before fun in the sun. I'd turn that into the involving, good weather back-road plaything, then use the GT3 for the track or when you're looking for serious speed. This covers more territory than the RS can alone. The Spyder's overlooked and seriously under-rated. I say that as a GT4 owner...
Old 09-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'm a big fan of mission specific cars. A car for back roads, a car for the track, a car for vintage rally, commuting, etc. A car that does a little of everything, no matter how well, can't be quite as good as cars tailored for each roll. Of course most of us have finite garage space and budgets, so there are limits...

With the GT4 and GT3 is seems you've got lots of mission overlap. Would you use both of them as street/ track cars? If so I'd probably go for RS- it'll be better than either for that mission.

However I'd personally go a different route again and take a Boxster Spyder instead of the GT4. As a street car I think it's more fun: less over-tired, better suspension for back roads, more playful, and that's before fun in the sun. I'd turn that into the involving, good weather back-road plaything, then use the GT3 for the track or when you're looking for serious speed. This covers more territory than the RS can alone. The Spyder's overlooked and seriously under-rated. I say that as a GT4 owner...
Im hearing you and Im also hearing really good things from a few early Spyder owners in Europe (heavy ratings on both road AND track). I have a GT4 on order to compliment my GT3 but Im starting to wonder if that should be a Spyder. Id like to try one first if I can. I do like what I see and hear on this car...
Old 09-03-2015, 11:21 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im hearing you and Im also hearing really good things from a few early Spyder owners in Europe (heavy ratings on both road AND track). I have a GT4 on order to compliment my GT3 but Im starting to wonder if that should be a Spyder. Id like to try one first if I can. I do like what I see and hear on this car...
I have both on order, I figures if I don't like the GT4 performance on track, I will sell it and keep the GT3 and Spyder with little to no loss

OP: Take the RS if you get one, you will do better with an RS anyday.

Last edited by malmasri; 09-03-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-03-2015, 11:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Mission specific is also so georgraphic location dependent.
No need for a track in NZ or left coast USA.

I'm so jealous of our West coast friends.. maybe I do need to add a zero to my cost of living and risk our home crashing into the pacific or waking up to evacuate for another wild fire just to be able to get up early and take the car for a morning run with friends.

As it is now in tax free, cheap living humidity central, my ideal car is one that turns into a luxo barge puttering on the eye watering boring south Florida roads driving from AC garage to AC garage with the ventilated massage seats engaged permanently, while hold up on track weekends. Mustang 350R comes very close. The RS sucks in that you can't get remote start, ventilated nor massage seats. But if I can suffer through that lack of comfort, as I do now in the awesome comfy 500E the RS does provide convenient track weekends; roll up windows turn on AC and radio and drive home on cruise control from Sebring.

It helps that for real pure driving I have the 83SC POS rattle can race car that is so much fun to race but costs more than a 2016RS to run per track day...For enduro racing fun and cars and coffee (never been) I have the RSA. The RSA is the most fun Porsche I have ever driven an d should live on the left coast in my imaginary summer home with good insurance in case it falls in the pacific or if the house burns.

For a car that does all the above very well a GT4 full Club Sport is hard to beat. Maybe a Mustang 350R also but needs to be proven to be able to survive track weekends. The only non warranty alternative is a 2004-2011 GT3 but one would need to add full cage etc to make it race legal and with current values hard to justify to go racing.

So, GT4 that's race ready and tolerable for street driving or a 964 Hot Rod that's tolerable for street driving. For now I like the 964 better because rear engine. GT4 is much faster but I need to learn to love that mid engine feel first.

So get RS and maybe 964 until GT4's values are at MSRP or below.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts
Default ADD a GT4 or change to GT3RS?

If one can get GT3 RS at MSRP,then getting GT4 at MSRP is a piece of cake. There are actually dealers out there that are easy to work with. It certainly helps if they have seen your face before for some reason : buying or servicing a Porsche. Believe it or not,by having a bit more time on their hands,because they are not selling volume like a Hyundai dealer,the Sales Associate might bump into the Service Manager and ask about a certain customer to find out if he's a good guy/gal or an a-hole. And this coming from a guy that hasn't spent major $ on servicing a P-car at the dealer. But if you do your oil changes there or some other small repair,even though overpriced,it will certainly help build a relationship. Statistical fact : the service department brings more $ than the sales department.
Secondly,participate in dealer organized drive events and presentations.
From what I've been reading here,this rule certainly does not apply on the West Coast. Oh well... I think the heavyweight loaded $$$ customers there spoiled the dealers in those parts.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Racer 54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just added a GT4 to my 991 GT3 because I eventually want to do track days with my son. Also, if one car is in the shop I then have a backup…never want to be w/o a P car.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I don't really like the idea of tracking an open top car, and the GT4 is really built for the track: bigger wheel bearings, enduro spec brakes, rubber that'll strand up to it, adjustable swaybars, aero...

For the street it flips for me. The Spyder has the same power up to 6700 rpm, but in a car that's 25 kg lighter. 375 hp pushing through 265s without an engine over them makes it the most over-powered mid-range Porsche ever, but it's so precise it's easy exploit. And the noise...

I drove the Spyder first, and I must admit that after picking up my GT4 I was a little jealous of guys getting the Spyder... For a street car I'd go that way. Autocross it could go either way- the Spyder uses the same rear bar as the GT4 but it's not adjustable, so you could fit the adjustable version if you want to play with balance. Get to the track, though, and the GT4 has a number of advantages that are hard to ignore.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
If one can get GT3 RS at MSRP,then getting GT4 at MSRP is a piece of cake. There are actually dealers out there that are easy to work with. It certainly helps if they have seen your face before for some reason : buying or servicing a Porsche. Believe it or not,by having a bit more time on their hands,because they are not selling volume like a Hyundai dealer,the Sales Associate might bump into the Service Manager and ask about a certain customer to find out if he's a good guy/gal or an a-hole. And this coming from a guy that hasn't spent major $ on servicing a P-car at the dealer. But if you do your oil changes there or some other small repair,even though overpriced,it will certainly help build a relationship. Statistical fact : the service department brings more $ than the sales department.
Secondly,participate in dealer organized drive events and presentations.
From what I've been reading here,this rule certainly does not apply on the West Coast. Oh well... I think the heavyweight loaded $$$ customers there spoiled the dealers in those parts.
+1

My local dealers are happy to rip off the local "money never enters the equation" crowd. I'm nobody even though they treat me very well at service.

I met my sales guy once. It's a 5 hour drive passing 5 other dealers.

He had to tell some ******* I wasn't a trucker but there to pickup my 2010RS when I parked on the street to drop off my 997.1 GT3. I sold the GT3 to Canada and he did a ****load of extra work to take it as a trade-in to save me taxes. Than he got a local shop to wrap the car, put in the roll bar and seat belts and warp it all into one payment since I had no money in 2010. I gave him a deposit in 2008 never even drove a 911 because he didn't rip off a friend buying a 2007RS..

Now I got my 2016RS at MSRP. euro delivery. I won't buy a new car unless from him until he dies. I think he's the oldest Porsche sales guy that has the longest tenure at the same dealership, hangs up on me before I can say thanks. He has customers that are way in front of me and I respect that. He goes way above and beyond. No car salesmanship. Just facts. I'm ordering a Macan just to say thank you and I'm on the list for whatever is next with a deposit per car.

Car selling loyalty is very hard to make work for you. It takes perseverance and trust. This guy made it and I have a lot of respect for him.

Don't ask who he is because he gets grouchy when a newby sends him money and he knows he can't fulfill the order. You don't want him grouchy.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Double post

Quick Reply: ADD a GT4 or change to GT3RS?