Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty with Tuned exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:54 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

PCNA won't be of any help to Tryptomine, the OP, because he is apparently located in Russia.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Tryptomine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alpine-AL right
Old 08-18-2015, 02:06 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
PCNA won't be of any help to Tryptomine, the OP, because he is apparently located in Russia.

Good point. He will need to check with Putin on that.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Know your dealer is the best answer here. I wouldn't do anything that you could not change back, however my service manager advised me that they did not believe in playing that game and would back warranty for a center bypass. The even went so far as to recommend SW.

I will eventually add GMG though.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

As has been pointed out, it may be a crap shoot depending on the dealer. The fact that the ECU interacts with the flaps on the exhaust system in the 991 GT3 gives Porsche/PCNA a built in excuse for denying engine fault related warranty claims if they so choose, whether that seems reasonable or not. Also, given the sophisticated monitoring used in modern cars, not to mention an observant tech, I'm not that convinced that returning a bypassed exhaust to stock if a problem arises is going to go undetected.

Regardless, these kind of issues are why I wouldn't mess around with aftermarket mods just to get more noise from the exhaust, at least while the car is still under warranty. It's loud enough as it is anyway, and I'm guaranteed not to lose any increment of performance, however small. But that's just me....
Old 08-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Agreed Mike but wonder why replacing rear muffler would be seen as long as valves were left as is. It seems that valves are actuated in accordance with demands from the ECU by applying vacuum to the valves. The rate the valves open would be dependent on spring tension and vacuum so I fail to see where replacing the rear muffler would have an effect?

I suppose that the vacuumed produced by the intake; assuming this is where it is generated, could be affected by changing the back pressure, however it would be minimal. It this is the case then the ECU would compensate and could, maybe, be detected???

GMG clearly states replacing rear muffler will not void warranty but makes no statement regarding cat/header replacement.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Agreed Mike but wonder why replacing rear muffler would be seen as long as valves were left as is. It seems that valves are actuated in accordance with demands from the ECU by applying vacuum to the valves. The rate the valves open would be dependent on spring tension and vacuum so I fail to see where replacing the rear muffler would have an effect?

I suppose that the vacuumed produced by the intake; assuming this is where it is generated, could be affected by changing the back pressure, however it would be minimal. It this is the case then the ECU would compensate and could, maybe, be detected???
I don't know for sure if replacing the center muffler could be detected, Sloopy, just saying that the readings or maybe a sharp eyed tech could possibly tell. But if it could be detected, and there was an engine problem, Porsche might have an excuse to deny a warranty claim if they wanted to. Personally, I'm not willing to take the risk. Other's MMV....

One of the top engine management guys with the GT program told me that removing the center muffler might not cause an engine problem but that it would decrease torque and performance without an ECU retune. If it makes enough of a difference to affect performance, it might also be detectable by engine monitoring. Or not. I didn't ask about that, so I don't have a definitive answer. Just too many issues for me to take the chance with my engine, though, even if I wanted more sound (which I don't )
Old 08-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

What about taking out the side mufflers, for example with the TPC active bypass pipes (http://www.tpcracing.com/gt3-active-...-bypass.html)? What are the chances of that contributing to an engine issue, affecting warranty coverage, or being detected if the side mufflers are reinstalled?

Last edited by Manifold; 08-18-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Agreed Mike but that growl just stirs my soul...
Old 08-18-2015, 06:48 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike makes valid points but this is like personal investment strategy....each person needs to decide the level of risk tolerance they are comfortable with. For me personally knowing what I know about the warranty claims process at PCNA, if and when I have a engine related issue I will remove bypass before it went to dealer and on the dealer side it would ever get to the stage of a Porsche engineer scrutinizing engine data to see if they could see a "bypass" fingerprint in the my data? For a engine replacement claim for instance they would certainly check the many parameters a tech has available to pull (PCNA would certainly require the data before the dealer was allowed to proceed with replacement) but certainly would not be doing it to specifically spot a bypass in data, it could be to look for abuse or abnormalities that might have caused engine issue.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Agreed Mike but that growl just stirs my soul...
Originally Posted by sccchiii
Mike makes valid points but this is like personal investment strategy....each person needs to decide the level of risk tolerance they are comfortable with. For me personally knowing what I know about the warranty claims process at PCNA, if and when I have a engine related issue I will remove bypass before it went to dealer and on the dealer side it would ever get to the stage of a Porsche engineer scrutinizing engine data to see if they could see a "bypass" fingerprint in the my data? For a engine replacement claim for instance they would certainly check the many parameters a tech has available to pull (PCNA would certainly require the data before the dealer was allowed to proceed with replacement) but certainly would not be doing it to specifically spot a bypass in data, it could be to look for abuse or abnormalities that might have caused engine issue.
I understand where you're coming from, Sloopy. And sccchiii, you are exactly right; it's about risk tolerance, for me at least. I came out fine with the engine replacement scenario but I don't want to tempt fate or give Porsche any excuses to waive my warranty, especially with this engine. If a problem should arise, even after warranty, I expect Porsche may step up given the history involved, but the chances might be lessened if I've monkeyed with things. That's my concern, anyway.

So as someone who is risk averse, I'm doing everything by the book. Given that my soul is already stirred by this car, with apologies to you Sloopy, I'm going to leave well enough alone! But that's just my $.02....
Old 08-18-2015, 07:53 PM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Besides the possibility of seeing data in the computer log that indicates a bypass may have been installed what about the guys who have taken it off before break-in. Say you get a code and before taking it in swap the exhaust back to stock and your car reads 3k+ miles but it looks like you can eat off of the stock rear muffler.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All good points.

FWIW, one data point is that there are a good number of dealers that will install the Sharkwerks bypass on behalf of the owner prior to taking delivery. One that I recently spoke with was promoting a GT3 saying it already had the Sharkwerks installed probably meaningless when push comes to shove but also an indicator that at least with the Sharkwerks bypass, some dealers have a certain degree of comfort with it. Doesn't mean PCNA does however.

I think the comment about having a good relationship with the dealer, especially the service manager, is a good one. At the minimum they let you know where to draw the line when working with their dealership. Some in my past experience have let me know ahead of time, what should be swapped before bringing the car in based on a summary of the issue.

One service manager recently did tell me that Porsche was requesting pictures for warranty claims so the earlier comment about that at least to me is confirmed. It's getting harder moving forward.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:35 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Hay Mike, No apologies as you seem to be a stand up guy and every one needs to do what fits them best. Best of luck and God bless.

I personally enjoy the conversation with someone who understands what Porsche put into this thing.

Quick Reply: Warranty with Tuned exhaust