Warranty with Tuned exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Tryptomine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty with Tuned exhaust

Talked with my dealer,

He said that if i am going to put center section of GMG and other tuning companies i will loose the factory warranty !!! And also he told me that he got an official reply from Germany and they said the same !

Any ideas ?
Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

They told me that it might or might not void the warranty. I added the sharkwerks bypass and when the time comes for service I will exchange it. Its a quick 30 min fix so figured I would do it.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:48 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
They told me that it might or might not void the warranty. I added the sharkwerks bypass and when the time comes for service I will exchange it. Its a quick 30 min fix so figured I would do it.
30 minutes? That's impressive. I could never get it done that fast. I don't believe there is a warranty issue here. But every deer is different.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 248 Posts

What part of the warranty? As has been discussed many times a warranty can't be denied unless the item caused the problem. Not sure what a bypass would do that would void a warranty.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 702 Posts

Depends on the dealer.

My buddy had aftermarket exhaust (fabspeed) on his 991 C2S, and when he blew his intake manifold, the dealer refused to cover it due to the aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by Drifting; 08-18-2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
What part of the warranty? As has been discussed many times a warranty can't be denied unless the item caused the problem. Not sure what a bypass would do that would void a warranty.
Yep and it will up to you to go to court to try and prove your case, which is going to cost you $$$.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a bit more complicated than this...while logic plays a role with 95% of dealers on warranty coverage you have the 5% rule in effect for the rest of dealerships. PCNA monitors warranty claims per store and if a store has above average warranty claims per car vs other stores over a period of time they are put on probation and a more strict audit process might go into effect if it doesn't come down to avg claim levels (rare yes but it does happen). When a dealership is on warranty probation I have seen ridiculous rejections of warranty coverage by dealership because they are under the microscope by PCNA and they are worried it might not get paid for by PCNA. The customer isn't made aware of a dealership that is under a probation and more detailed audits of warranty repair orders so you wouldn't know when you drop your car off. As a safe bet, I will also be removing bypass if I get any fault messages in regards to engine.......they could absolutely deny coverage saying my bypass caused the fault and its not worth having that scenario? Then any Porsche store in future will be able to see the item was denied because of aftermarket exhaust. Just be careful when "assuming" it will be covered under warranty.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drifting
Depends on the dealer.

My buddy had aftermarket exhaust (fabspeed) on his 991 C2S, and when he blew his intake manifold, the dealer refused to cover it due to the aftermarket exhaust.
Doesn't necessarily depend on the dealer. PCNA provides warranty, not your dealer. PCNA is getting even more strict on warranty claims and requires documentation from dealers on mods to cars, and in many cases, requires photos of car to show condition.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

Really depends on your dealer truth be told. But its hard to cause much of any damage to a car by just taking off the muffler alone as long as you've left the stock cats on...but I guess some could be a real pain about it.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Doesn't necessarily depend on the dealer. PCNA provides warranty, not your dealer. PCNA is getting even more strict on warranty claims and requires documentation from dealers on mods to cars, and in many cases, requires photos of car to show condition.
PCNA pays the claim to store but store takes big role in if its warrantable or not....PCNA takes a active role on most (engines, transmissions, and major or expensive components) but not all claims. With most smaller claims its on dealer to decide then they keep old part to either send back to Porsche to inspect or discard after warranty is paid.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

depends on dealer.. The US dealers are much better than European or Middle Easter dealers.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

In the Middle East, its one dealer for the whole country, so if you mess up you can't just drive to another dealer in the country.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by sccchiii
PCNA pays the claim to store but store takes big role in if its warrantable or not....PCNA takes a active role on most (engines, transmissions, and major or expensive components) but not all claims. With most smaller claims its on dealer to decide then they keep old part to either send back to Porsche to inspect or discard after warranty is paid.
Yes, and it's the more expensive repairs that are of most concern.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:04 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Warranty with Tuned exhaust

How many of their customers don't question a warranty denial? Does that end up being something most people don't bother with? If that's the case and, as posted earlier, the dealer can get on a "bad" list, why wouldn't the dealer go that road first?

I think the pool of people here pay more attention, would question more than your typical Panamera and Cayenne owner, and be more likely to contact PCNA to discuss a warranty claim denial. From what I've experienced many car owners have no clue.

Given the third muffler bypass is the last point on the exhaust I find it hard to believe that it could cause many issues. I'd be curious to hear if any of the bypass manufacturers have any thoughts on the types of problems it could create that might not be warrantable.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:30 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

How many of their customers don't question a warranty denial? Does that end up being something most people don't bother with? If that's the case and, as posted earlier, the dealer can get on a "bad" list, why wouldn't the dealer go that road first?

I think the pool of people here pay more attention, would question more than your typical Panamera and Cayenne owner, and be more likely to contact PCNA to discuss a warranty claim denial. From what I've experienced many car owners have no clue.

Given the third muffler bypass is the last point on the exhaust I find it hard to believe that it could cause many issues. I'd be curious to hear if any of the bypass manufacturers have any thoughts on the types of problems it could create that might not be warrantable.
I think a better question to ask the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers is if they are willing to provide you a written statement, signed by an officer of the company authorized to make such agreements, stating that they will pay for any repairs to your car resulting from a denied warranty claim by PCNA as a result of their part. Ask them if they are willing to go to court on your behalf to provide counter testimony to Porsche engineers, that their part could not have caused the problem and the claim should be paid.

I am not saying that an aftermarket exhaust will cause damage to your engine. Just saying that if you have an engine related issue, and have an aftermarket exhaust, there is a very good chance that your warranty claim will be denied, or at least seriously challenged.

Quick Reply: Warranty with Tuned exhaust