Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black RS and White RS at Werks Reunion

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 07:03 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Carmine Red 991 GT3 is the best looking car in this thread....
Sorry but RS just looks too busy for me...too much black plastic everywhere and I cant get over that tractor-sized 21" rear wheel. But I bet it is nice to drive

Bill
Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Mike: Where there any 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' or 'Fashion Grey' gt3s at the Werks Reunion? Unfortunately I was a The Quail and missed the Porsche event!

If memory serves me right...'White' & 'GT Silver' as standard (no cost) and 'Lava Orange' & 'Ultraviolet'* as special colors (US$ 3140). If you were eligible/approved for Paint To Sample, you have a choice of your approved color or 'Black', 'Racing Yellow' or 'Miami Blue'. The last three colors are expedited/'fast track' PTS colors for the RS and also cost US$ 5500 on the RS. If you choose these last three colors, your PTS order will be 'filled' quicker than if you stay with your original PTS color, assuming that original PTS color had been specifically approved for PTS on the RS model.

But then, I could be wrong about all of the above. It gets confusing at times!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*'Ultraviolet' will not be possible to do if your build is after November 2015. We don't know if they will give us another 'special color' to choose from or...anything else.

You're spot on.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was fun Mike. BTW, we both won nothing! I stayed until 4:00 and it took me almost an hour to get to Cannery Row after the event. Fortunately it was an amazingly entertaining drive with more exotic cars in traffic than I've ever witnessed.

I do have to say, the GT3 to me is far more a thorough design, than the RS. This is purely an aesthetic analysis as a designer. I would absolutely love an RS, but that desire would have nothing to do with its scale, proportions or stance.

I do have to cave a little on the white vs. red on the GT3. Mike's car was gorgeous in the bright sun. Thankfully the rear view mirror on the white cars was enhanced to calculate for that mis-coming.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:35 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

haha!

Fun for sure, Nick. We'll do it again. And having seen your beautiful architectural designs, I bow to your educated eye on the styling comparison between the 3 and RS.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:48 AM
IG_991GT3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nice shots!

That Carmine Red 991 GT3 was very attractive. The owner had 325/25/21's on the rear and the car looked lowered to boot. I couldn't get my finger between the rear tire and the fender lip; almost made me wonder if the car was just for display on those wheels as I don't see how it could be driven without rubbing.

I also like the red CL bolts but thought that the correct version for the 991 CL's weren't available yet in red and that those must be from a 997. Was hoping to talk to the owner but never saw anyone. Maybe he/she will see this and comment.
Hello Rennlist I am the owner of the Carmine Red GT3. Thanks for the compliments. As far as the centerlocks I got them through Protosport, originally from the 997 GT3. Wheel setup is HRE P106 21x9.5-12.5 running Pirelli PZero 255/30/21 - 325/25/21 Front and Rear also running a 10mm drop. Car is very usable with no rubbing at all and the front nose lift helps with tight situations.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:52 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Great looking car IG--congratulations! And welcome to RL!! Thanks for the info. BTW, did you have to modify the 997 centerlocks or did they just fit?
Old 08-16-2015, 02:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by IG_991GT3
Hello Rennlist I am the owner of the Carmine Red GT3. Thanks for the compliments. As far as the centerlocks I got them through Protosport, originally from the 997 GT3. Wheel setup is HRE P106 21x9.5-12.5 running Pirelli PZero 255/30/21 - 325/25/21 Front and Rear also running a 10mm drop. Car is very usable with no rubbing at all and the front nose lift helps with tight situations.
Thanks for the follow up, IG....you have a beautiful car!

There had been some discussion about the red CL bolts for the 991 in an earlier thread here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t=red+cl+bolts

Also here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t=red+cl+bolts

If you read through these threads you'll find that one of the points mentioned is that the CL bolts for the 997 and 991 have different part numbers. Also, according to the workshop documentation:

"Under no circumstances use the 997 lockable wheel bolt (locking mechanism) on the 991!"

The exclamation point is Porsche's, not mine. Just FYI.....
Old 08-16-2015, 03:32 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi Eduardo, no SG or FG that I saw. There was a 991 GT3 that was in what I could swear was Ruby Red Metallic, the same color as my old '84 Carrera. Ruby Red has more of a burgundy tint than Arena Red if memory serves and this car looked exactly like that. I'm kicking myself now for not taking a photo for your expert analysis!
Hi Mike,

Is this the one you saw?

However, it is Arena Red metallic.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:09 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts
Default Black RS and White RS at Werks Reunion

Mike, didn't see you.. But I wonder if you share my (controversial?) thought that the regular gt3.. The carmine one.. Was actually the more attractive car than the rs's? The black and white Rs looked purposeful for sure, but the design was almost disjointed, whereas the "regular" gt3 just flowed.

Were you at Zentrum last night?... Finally got to sit in the buckets in the yellow gt4 by the bar.. Man!.. Getting in and out of those was really tough!! Did I miss the technique??

EDIT: just read the whole thread and with some relief, saw that others shared my thoughts that the carmine GT3 was by far the better looking car.. I happened to be parked next to it at Laguna seca today up on the purple lot in the dirt.. Looked EVEN BETTER all dirty!!! Those RS's are just a bunch of design elements all mashed together, but it's a case of too much of a good thing IMO... I wish I could post pics from phone app, took some really fun ones.. Races today were incredible also.

I didn't think to try to connect with anyone in this group while I was here.. Gonna rent a place in Carmel for rennsport next month, gonna bring my brother's 550 beck Spyder.. We should have a Rennlist meet ... Oh wait.. EVERYONE will be part of the Rennlist meet.

Hope to meet Eduardo finally, and maybe some of the others. Enjoy concours tomorrow, maybe we'll run into each other
Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
GR looks nice Mike but as you well know white is always way faster
Says the guy who's screen name is Silverrules
Originally Posted by doubleurx
That was fun Mike. BTW, we both won nothing! I stayed until 4:00 and it took me almost an hour to get to Cannery Row after the event. Fortunately it was an amazingly entertaining drive with more exotic cars in traffic than I've ever witnessed.

I do have to say, the GT3 to me is far more a thorough design, than the RS. This is purely an aesthetic analysis as a designer. I would absolutely love an RS, but that desire would have nothing to do with its scale, proportions or stance.

I do have to cave a little on the white vs. red on the GT3. Mike's car was gorgeous in the bright sun. Thankfully the rear view mirror on the white cars was enhanced to calculate for that mis-coming.
Aesthetically, I agree the design flows better on the GT3 vs. the RS. That being said, who's buying an RS over a 3 because of Aesthetics, it's all about performance. And, with the RS, it's form follows function
Old 08-16-2015, 11:24 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Aesthetically, I agree the design flows better on the GT3 vs. the RS. That being said, who's buying an RS over a 3 because of Aesthetics, it's all about performance. And, with the RS, it's form follows function
+1

3's have always been better looking than RS's, IMO. That's the tradeoff you make for the incremental performance / bragging rights.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Hi Mike,

Is this the one you saw?

However, it is Arena Red metallic.
That's it! It was parked just a couple of rows from where I was. I had remembered Arena as less burgundy and more red but I'll take your word for it. Makes sense, since we know there are Arena Red cars out there, and Ruby Red would have to have been an individual PTS. Nice color in any event and it looked good on the GT3.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I didn't think to try to connect with anyone in this group while I was here.. Gonna rent a place in Carmel for rennsport next month, gonna bring my brother's 550 beck Spyder.. We should have a Rennlist meet ... Oh wait.. EVERYONE will be part of the Rennlist meet.

Hope to meet Eduardo finally, and maybe some of the others. Enjoy concours tomorrow, maybe we'll run into each other
Alessandro:

We will definitely meet next month during Rennsport. After my arrival back one week ago from cruising off 'Porto Cervo' in beautiful Sardinia & my previous hectic two weeks in Germany, I have been trying to recuperate from jet-lag and other ills! For example, for the first time in 20+ years, I am taking a break from the Concours d'Elegance today at Pebble. I barely made it through the Carmel Concours-on-the-Avenue on Tuesday, Carmel Mission Classic, Automobilia Monterey & Gordon McCall's Jet Center party on Wednesday & The Quail on Friday! I only attended private Audi events on Thursday & Saturday, although I couldn't resist making it to the excellent Aston Martin party last night at Monterra. I skipped the Porsche Zentrum party on Friday (too tired) and Laguna Seca yesterday (too hot)...and I needed the rest.

I hope I will be back to 'active' form by the last week of September. I'll contact you, Mike-in-CA & other Rennlist friends directly via email/pm and invite you to our Carmel home to see our newest addition - a 'Signal Green' gt3 - in late September! Hopefully you'll enjoy the final day of the 2015 Monterey Historics today on another unusually warm day in our area!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Mike, didn't see you.. But I wonder if you share my (controversial?) thought that the regular gt3.. The carmine one.. Was actually the more attractive car than the rs's? The black and white Rs looked purposeful for sure, but the design was almost disjointed, whereas the "regular" gt3 just flowed.

Were you at Zentrum last night?... Finally got to sit in the buckets in the yellow gt4 by the bar.. Man!.. Getting in and out of those was really tough!! Did I miss the technique??

EDIT: just read the whole thread and with some relief, saw that others shared my thoughts that the carmine GT3 was by far the better looking car.. I happened to be parked next to it at Laguna seca today up on the purple lot in the dirt.. Looked EVEN BETTER all dirty!!! Those RS's are just a bunch of design elements all mashed together, but it's a case of too much of a good thing IMO... I wish I could post pics from phone app, took some really fun ones.. Races today were incredible also.

Wish I'd known you were there, Alex. You, Nick, and I could have hung out for a while. I skipped Zentrum...could have demonstrated my bucket ingress/egress technique for you.

You're not alone regarding the looks of the GT3 and RS. The RS may have the performance advantage, but the GT3 is the looker, IMHO. We're headed back this morning so won't be at the Concours. We'll have to make a point of connecting at RRV!
Old 08-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've been to one Zentrum you've been to them all! By the way were they letting people drive the 918 or was it just ride along's unless invited to drive the car. I liked the Zentrum much better when they had it at the Quail's building as you turn to go in for parking off Valley Green's.

Quick Reply: Black RS and White RS at Werks Reunion