Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocar: McLaren 675LT versus GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 05:56 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 169 Posts

As an owner of a 675LT - I'm not happy with what McLaren did. It's not that they are building spiders. Hell, that's their prerogative. But when they released the car, the argued and strongly implied that this was a limited edition car with a coupe only spec. Hence, a lot of people jumped in and threw money down for an allocation.

What bothers me is that they sold the car as a performance variant of the super series (12c/650/675) that paid homage to the F1 LT. Hence the LT name. They marketed as such. I was promised by the dealer - no spiders. etc. If they were up front at the beginning and didn't promise those things.. hell fine build a spider.

I was at a dinner with the President of McLaren NA which was called to specifically address these concerns. And the conclusion from almost all of the 675LT owners is that integrity was on the line. That if they just told us ahead of time, no one would be upset.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As an aside how are you enjoying the 675LT (depreciation issues non withstanding)?

Looks likes magic bus to me...
Old 12-08-2015, 08:37 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It *is* a magic bus.

neoprufrok's car is also absolutely stunning (I've seen it in person, well, behind the closed glass doors of the dealership after hours).

If I could, I'd buy three of these monstrosities (and daily drive one of them).
Old 12-08-2015, 08:41 PM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
As an owner of a 675LT - I'm not happy with what McLaren did. It's not that they are building spiders. Hell, that's their prerogative. But when they released the car, the argued and strongly implied that this was a limited edition car with a coupe only spec. Hence, a lot of people jumped in and threw money down for an allocation.

What bothers me is that they sold the car as a performance variant of the super series (12c/650/675) that paid homage to the F1 LT. Hence the LT name. They marketed as such. I was promised by the dealer - no spiders. etc. If they were up front at the beginning and didn't promise those things.. hell fine build a spider.

I was at a dinner with the President of McLaren NA which was called to specifically address these concerns. And the conclusion from almost all of the 675LT owners is that integrity was on the line. That if they just told us ahead of time, no one would be upset.
Agree with you 100% on this matter Richard.

Unfortunately I see Lamborghini and Ferrari both releasing a limited edition coupe only to release the spider version following year after all the coupe models are sold out.

I am so glad Porsche did not do this with the GT3 RS and release a convertible version after all the coupes sold out.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:48 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oc997
I am so glad Porsche did not do this with the GT3 RS and release a convertible version after all the coupes sold out.
A convertible GT3 RS would be absolutely hideous.

Quick Reply: Autocar: McLaren 675LT versus GT3 RS