She is on the sidelines for a couple days

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts
Default She is on the sidelines for a couple days

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
There telling me it should be available this afternoon. They are flushing the Coolant system because after thermostat replaced they are saying this is necessary

Can any one comment on this. They head mechanic who works on the 918 s is working on my car. I know in good hands but I am suspicious by nature
I'd be more concerned if they were flushing the coolant on my coin,but since it's on theirs,let them do it. I do not see absolutely any reason why you would need to flush the entire system on a brand new car with low mileage,when that coolant is designed to last a long time. Of course things change if the coolant gets contaminated somehow.
IMO,it's more important that they bleed the cooling system properly in order to eliminate all the air bubbles introduced in the system while changing the thermostat.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Car is back and doing great. The head mechanic did say the new thermostat was a different part number but he did not know if actually any different.

This may just be my mind playing games but the new thermostat seems to work better. I think I am getting more accurate reading of the temp. The other one even in similar conditions would some times give me the digital reading I was at 185 after 10 min min of warm up and then the next day in same temp it would take 15. I am beginning to think the other one was inconsistent the more I think about it. It did be wilder me a little in retrospect- maybe I am nuts
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That sounds like a failing thermostat. I don't think the temp reading is more accurate, but that the thermostat is now regulating the water better, so its able to warm up the engine faster.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jimmy. they fully flushed mine when they did the failed thermostat on the first engine. The factory insisted they did the thermostat housing too (no idea why). I believe it was a different part (improved?) too. Of course the replacement engine came with a completely new thermostat (and housing) again and that one although it lasted longer seems now to be failing (haven't replicated the earlier fault yet but Im sure in time it will show itself again). Im sure again they will claim an improved part but Im not holding my breath. They can design a whole range of performance cars but after 6 years (thermostat issue goes back to gen 2 997) they still cant seem to get this most elementary of parts made to a durable standard. In terms of history and design a thermostat is probably one of the oldest and most basic components in a modern engine. Heck the thing has less moving parts than a CAN connector!
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by bigkraig
That sounds like a failing thermostat. I don't think the temp reading is more accurate, but that the thermostat is now regulating the water better, so its able to warm up the engine faster.
This is what I am noticing
Old 08-07-2015, 11:42 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Jimmy. they fully flushed mine when they did the failed thermostat on the first engine. The factory insisted they did the thermostat housing too (no idea why). I believe it was a different part (improved?) too. Of course the replacement engine came with a completely new thermostat (and housing) again and that one although it lasted longer seems now to be failing (haven't replicated the earlier fault yet but Im sure in time it will show itself again). Im sure again they will claim an improved part but Im not holding my breath. They can design a whole range of performance cars but after 6 years (thermostat issue goes back to gen 2 997) they still cant seem to get this most elementary of parts made to a durable standard. In terms of history and design a thermostat is probably one of the oldest and most basic components in a modern engine. Heck the thing has less moving parts than a CAN connector!
It's actually a little bit more complicated than that. From the GT4 service manual. This is exactly how the thermostat in the 991 GT3 operates : pulse width modulation of the DME using a heating element to open and close the thermostat to any percentage the DME desires. You will now understand why the coolant temperature goes lower when Sport mode is activated :

" Map controlled thermostat
The thermostat is an insertion map-controlled thermostat with a heating element.
The electric heating element of the map-controlled thermostat is energized via the
DME control unit. The flow of current through the heating element (electric resistor)
causes it to heat up, which in turn influences the expansion element in the thermostat
and enables it to be opened. Actuation by the DME control unit is performed by means
of pulse width modulation (between 2.5 and 97.5%), which means that the coolant
temperature level can be continuously controlled.
The usual coolant temperature is 221° F (105° C) when the engine of the Cayman GT4
is at operating temperature; it is reduced to 185° F (85° C) during sporty driving and in
Sport/Sport Plus mode by opening (energizing) the thermostat. This supports a
performance-oriented driving style.
The DME control unit can also have the thermostat closed by switching off the
heating current. A precondition for this is a coolant temperature of less than 216° F
(102° C). The map-controlled thermostat starts to open at 216° F (102° C)
+/- 4° F (2° C) when de-energized and is fully open at 239° F (115° C).
The coolant temperature is measured by the engine coolant temperature sensor and
the radiator outlet coolant temperature sensor and transmitted to the DME control unit "

Last edited by neanicu; 08-07-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
This is what I am noticing
Here too. The new unit has resulted in the blue light going off measurably quicker than before on a cold start.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Here too. The new unit has resulted in the blue light going off measurably quicker than before on a cold start.
This is nuts. How they got this wrong is very interesting. I am wondering if they are still trying to make an effective thermostat
Old 08-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you're back on the road again and all good info to know. Txs for the updates.

Quick Reply: She is on the sidelines for a couple days