Sponsored by:

Chris Smith Racing Center Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:00 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I really like the way it sounds. I wasn't sure about it, but the single "butthole" look is growing on me. I still have some adjustment to do. It's a little off center. One of the funnier lines on RL: "... but the single "butthole" look is growing on me." As if you are approaching life from a "dual-butthole" norm? Please tell me you've tried the RSS X-pipe? Did I miss your trial somewhere? The X-pipe on a 7.2GT3 was pure street car acoustic perfection.
Somehow this reminds me of a three stooges episode..."I grow on people (curly)......so do warts (Moe)!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keep the CSR

"MONEY"... KEEP THE CSR.

(BTW, you epitomize the value of this forum for me. Love the passion and enthusiasm of rennlisters to do what you guys do).

Since taking delivery of my '14 and working through cam sensors, thermostats, engine replacements, transmission replacements, seats, tires, wheels, pads, etc... now seeing more and more 991 GT3's on track, I'd say my exhaust is the single biggest delineator and topic of discussion from spectators coming to talk about the car. (Tires are still the first topic other GT3 drivers seem to start).

Not to bore with all the subjective reasons why GT3 owners buy GT3's, but as for me I found the CSR exhaust purely by happenstance. Was at Road Atlanta early this season (hitting one more circuit, bringing car north from Sebring) and while in the paddock I heard what I thought was a 991 America/Cup?? Not having seen one while setting up, I ran over to the track to see what was running? It was a stock looking 991 GT3 and followed him off track to learn it was a CSR exhaust. Coincidentally, Chris has his shop off turn one at Road Atlanta and it was a no brainer for me.

Honestly, I don't believe there's any performance difference, so it's simply sound. Personally I love the unique and distinct sound the exhaust puts out under load (I don't street my car and have only heard my exhaust through my helmet), but I love it. Prior, I had Tym Switzer (Switzer Performance) make a custom exhaust that was more like SW's exhaust, but CSR is very distinct and have had compliments over and over again by other GT3 owners on track.

At first, I though the rear "butthole", single exhaust didn't fill the opening and looked "off", but it has not only grown on me, but I look at the stock dual tips on other cars and think that those now look funny??

Either way, speaking of "holes", like belly buttons and opinions, we all have one and this is simply mine.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:06 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chris Smith Racing Center Bypass

Money
Thank you for all you do. I am also curious if you have tried the RSS center bypass exhaust. I had one on my 997.1 gt3 which I have just sold this week. My 991 gt3 still has the stock exhaust but I am thinking...,..
Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I did hear CSR under heavy load, it sounded loud but pleasing to me, I did not think that the single wide hole looks odd, so I do have one on order.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:59 AM
ChrisSmithRacing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you - money.

Money you are a rock star. Appreciate the videos.

Call me next week we can do done quality control make sure you are happy ,

Btw. The exhaust stArts out at 2.5 diameter and transitions to 3-4 inch. The 4 in to right at 6 inches

If the you all look closely the bumper from the factory isn't centered property , the plastic trim piece looks off And odd.
Just my 2 cents.
The CSR exhaust comes To life 50% throttle And up.all I can say is the stock tips look generic like any other cAr the gt3 Are build for speed and people to drool over , the tip flows with rear body lines instead of having 2 little
Tips sticking in the wind.
Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g0uXJBlBL7Q
Originally Posted by Money2536
Yeah, both of them sound similar to stock with slightly different tones and about 25% louder.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:05 AM
ChrisSmithRacing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for the possitive feed

Let us know

When do you get your rs ?

QUOTE=malmasri;12413054]I did hear CSR under heavy load, it sounded loud but pleasing to me, I did not think that the single wide hole looks odd, so I do have one on order.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-11-2015, 09:33 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Sounds good. Looks absolutely horrible
Glad I'm not the only one...that's horrendous
Old 07-11-2015, 12:46 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Money,

We met at the Smokies event. I have the CSR exhaust. I'm curious whether the CSR is louder or quieter than the side muffler delete. I like being able to reduce my sound level with the baffles, since Atlanta Motorsports Park does have a noise limit and I track there a lot. However, I'm tempted by the side muffler delete for the weight savings and heat reduction. I don't mind the look. Since it is black, it doesn't draw a lot of attention.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Richard, I had the side muffler delete w/ an M&M center section on my 4.0. It did not pass. Didn't get db reading so I don't know how much it was over. Best, Allan
Old 07-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Money,

We met at the Smokies event. I have the CSR exhaust. I'm curious whether the CSR is louder or quieter than the side muffler delete. I like being able to reduce my sound level with the baffles, since Atlanta Motorsports Park does have a noise limit and I track there a lot. However, I'm tempted by the side muffler delete for the weight savings and heat reduction. I don't mind the look. Since it is black, it doesn't draw a lot of attention.
Rich,

It is significantly quieter than the side muffler delete.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt, first, thank you for your comparisons. These are exactly what people spend hours upon hours on Youtube hoping to be able to find. But even then, they're comparing different cars on different roads with different drivers etc. and your vids take those variables out of the equation. So, your efforts are applauded and appreciated. And, let's face it, it gives you reason to both tinker and then go drive your GT3, so must be pretty fun on your side of it too!

Now, here's my take on the sounds of the SW vs. CSR based on your vids. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as I said, this is just my conclusion based on your vids not real world experience. Because I'm home sick today and have more time on my hands than I know what to do with. I'm going to grade them based on your vids. 2 points for the win, 1 point better than stock and 0 for equal to or worse than stock.

Aesthetics: Hands down and it's not even close, SW. The dual tips look great, even better than stock and the stock ones look fantastic. Yes the RSR may have a single tip, but it too looks weird and that's with a reshaped opening in the bumper to accommodate the single tip. The GT3's opening is obviously much bigger and the round tip of CSR just looks weird. Sorry Chris Smith, but it does. That being said, not everyone really cares about aesthetics and some people are more concerned with the sound and performance. the dual tip of Sharkwerks is sporty and fills the opening perfectly. Winner, Sharkwerks.
SW - 2
CSR - 0
In fact, I almost want to take away a point because in my opinion, it actually detracts from the aesthetic. But I will just leave it at 0 as it does not improve upon stock as I mentioned in my scoring analysis.

Performance: I think everyone here knows, it's a non-issue here. Neither will give measurable if any gain at all and it's strictly about improving the sound of the car. I'm assuming they both weigh within a pound or so of each other as well. Sharkwerks has theirs listed as about 16lbs less than stock, so there's no appreciable advantage in weight savings of one vs. the other but both are lighter than stock, so why not call that a slight improvement.. Winner, we'll call it a draw and give them both a point.
Sharkwerks - 1
CSR - 1

Low load, smooth and low rpm shifting: they both sound very similar but the CSR seems to have a slightly deeper sound, but with that, also seems to have a little bit of drone to it. I detected this from both the interior and exterior videos. They both sound better than stock though because they're giving a bit more noise. Even with the slight drone that I heard, I'd still rather sacrifice a little drone over the stock one to be able to enjoy the improved sound. Winner, Sharkwerks.
Sharkwerks - 2
CSR - 1

Hard acceleration: Here's where it starts to get a bit muddy for me. throughout the lower parts of the range of acceleration, they really sound very similar. But I think the SW just seems to be slightly more crisp and again I seem to detect a little bit of drone from the CSR (again, could just be the camera and my auditory physical makeup and speakers on my macbook pro). But once you get to the very highest of the RPM range, all of a sudden the CSR sounds amazing and like a race car! This kind of explains why those who are complimenting it out on the track, really like it. Because they're always in those higher RPM ranges where the CSR exhaust really seems to shines and distinguish itself from the SW. But for a road car, those limits are rarely hit and the first 3/4 of the RPM range seem to sound better with the SW exhaust, only with that final blast of the last 1/4 of the RPM range does the CSR seem to truly sound better than the SW. So how do we grade this one, they both have their attributes here. But because the SW to me is better through 3/4 of the rev range, I'm going to score it like this. Winner, Sharkwerks. Sharkwerks 1.75, CSR 1.25

Cost: These prices below are straight off of the SW website, so group buys, PCA, Rennlist or any other discounts that may apply are not reflected in the listing below. The CSR Price, I had to dig through the annals of the internet as it is not listed on the CSR website. But eventually I did find the pricing buried in a Rennlist thread. Obviously, since both cost money and leaving it stock is the more economical choice, it doesn't really fit into my scoring criteria, so I will only be comparing them to one another as stock would surely be the winner in this department (unless for some reason you needed to replace a damaged center muffler, then all bets are off lol). In addition to the actual Bypass, with the Sharkwerks unit, you'll need to also purchase new tips which adds to the cost. With the CSR unit, the giant 6" tip is part of the one piece design therefore no other parts will need to be purchased. The nice thing with the SW unit, even though the tips are an additional cost, you get three different choices, 100mm, 88mm Black lightweight or 88mm Raw lightweight. With the CSR, I'm assuming you only have one or possibly you might have a choice between black and raw, but you'll have to ask Chris directly about that.

SW Bypass $1,500
SW 100mm tips $460
SW RS Black Lightweight tips (88mm) $375
SW RS Raw Lightweight tips (88mm) $325
Total cost for SW system would be between $1,825 - $1,960

CSR, $1,499 (does not include PCA, Rennlist or group buy discounts)

Winner, CSR. CSR 2, SW 1. I gave the SW a 1 because even though it's more expensive, I still think many will be able to justify the difference when taking the other categories into consideration when choosing their bypass and some may also really like the ability to choose the 1 of 3 options of the tips that fit their personality best.

Final Score:
Sharkwerks - 7.75
CSR - 5.25

*this was done out of boredom and is the result of being home while sick and doing nothing but spending time on the computer while eating cough drops and drinking orange juice. Experiences and scoring may vary from person to person.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ScottKelly, here's hoping you get better soon. I applaud you for your opinions, but being home sick, keeping an eye on RL is not so bad.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

That's super solid analysis Scott! I agree with every single one of your points. I think we'd be a great tag team. I throw the crap up, and you score it.

I really, really want to try to GMG, but I've reached my limit of cash outlay. So I'm rolling with the CSR for a while to see if the single exit grows on me. Being such an aesthetics oriented car guy, I knew going into this that it would be a stretch for me to accept it.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Scottkelly love you scoring on these two. I do want to say one thing when it comes to scoring pricing, the SW can be used with stock tips or aftermarket. Some would rather keep the look of stock which in those cases would make it priced the same.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:26 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Thanks Money and understand the cost issue but you are probably the only person who can experience the GMG and properly compare it to the others. I have listened to many videos and I for one find it very difficult to compare given only a video to listen to.

You may be the only person who has experienced most all but one exhaust combo and are the one to give a final judgment.

Quick Reply: Chris Smith Racing Center Bypass