Sponsored by:

Chris Smith Racing Center Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi1
I wish I had that much time on my hands! I would loved to do the same. Having said that the sound difference is minor. I'm content with the bypass and 100mm tip. I guess we all have an OCD side. We apply it in different ways. Fun videos that I always enjoy. Thanks Money
My conclusion is that the differences are so minimal that it's clearly not worth the effort, but you are right. It sure is fun messing trying and learning.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
Sounds good but the single round tip just doesn't look right. It might be better if it was rectangular to fit the space but even better if there was a version to put the OEM tips on.
I looked at again on my way out of the house this morning and let out a sigh. I can't live with the single exit. That is clear.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think she locked him in the garage.
Luckily for me she was at the beach with her sister. No Dad's allowed!

Originally Posted by meaker
I like the sound from the video. Seems a little bit cleaner to me. And does seem louder. Not a fan of the single "butthole" tip but do like the larger pipes before the tip. I think GMG is still the top dog in this game for its design and sound. Thanks for all the side by side comparison.. You are taking the guess work out of for others.
I just don't think it's worth the extra grand over the SW to get the GMG.

Originally Posted by GT TREE
Every forum needs a guy like you man! I for one appreciate all your time consuming efforts with detailed pics and install of just the exhausts alone!
It doesn't take nearly as much time to document it as it looks. I'm already out there doing it. I'm also not really editing very much. I would guess it takes me about an extra two hours to put this together over the time I would be spending without videoing.

Originally Posted by Houston GT3
Matt-thanks for checking out about every option & the exceptional presentation. Guess I'm in the minority but I prefer the SW over the CSR sound. And I preferr the RSS over both.
The sad part is that I've tried them all except the one that is probably right for me, GMG.

Originally Posted by Serge944
You need another hobby. You've tried nearly every GT3 exhaust - it has to be getting old.

Maybe time to set up a reef tank?
My wife would kill me if I added another hobby. I can only handle one.

Originally Posted by MoeGt3
Matt maybe it's time to put the cherry on top of the cake and get yourself the Akrapovic exhaust
Akra's sound is too thin for me. I just don't like the way titanium sounds. That, and there is no way I'm dropping $10K+ on an exhaust.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:39 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

I should have sold you / given you my GMG. If you hadn't gone with the Chris Smith experiment.....

Unfortunately when we had that txt conversation, I thought the butthole was going to be the deal breaker for you.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
All this being said. I wouldn't have needed to do any of this had I just bought the GMG in the first place.
So the GMG rear muffler replacement is your top choice? I'm assuming thats what you're referring to.

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/2015/...r-section.html
Old 07-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had researched before hand and understood how the exhaust worked. Delisting the valves was never a choice as I feel a lot went into this for power and sound.

Center section replacement seemed the best alternative as not much would ever be gained in power without replacing the cats, so mostly the sound was the only thing on the table.

Looking at design only, as the videos mostly sounded the same, I called during the group buy on the GMG. Sadly, a not so good PET scan meant more treatment and more risk so I sidestepped for the time being.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
I should have sold you / given you my GMG. If you hadn't gone with the Chris Smith experiment.....

Unfortunately when we had that txt conversation, I thought the butthole was going to be the deal breaker for you.
I'll probably get GMG at some point. Chris talked me into the sound being most important. I don't hate the single exit but agree that it looks a little weird.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
So the GMG rear muffler replacement is your top choice? I'm assuming thats what you're referring to.

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/2015/...r-section.html
That's the one. If you don't have one yet, that's what I'd get.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloopy
I had researched before hand and understood how the exhaust worked. Delisting the valves was never a choice as I feel a lot went into this for power and sound.

Center section replacement seemed the best alternative as not much would ever be gained in power without replacing the cats, so mostly the sound was the only thing on the table.

Looking at design only, as the videos mostly sounded the same, I called during the group buy on the GMG. Sadly, a not so good PET scan meant more treatment and more risk so I sidestepped for the time being.
They do sound noticably different in person but certainly not enough to warrant a change from one to the other. I think GMG is the way to go unless you already have a bypass. My advice is stick with what you have. My little experiment taught me the difference is too minimal to waste the money.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

I don't think it matters which center muffler bypass one uses, there is not going to be an appreciable (or even worthwhile) difference in sound (in terms of tone, depth and pitch) until the car reaches past 6000, or maybe 7000, rpm.

So for daily use, cuz no one drives like a maniac by revving the engine that high, most bypasses are going to be, as they say, a difference without a distinction.

Now, if we're talking side muffler deletes (with or without valves) then, it's a different story. But here again, it matters little which brand of side muffler delete setup you use (MM, Cargraphics, etc.), they're all going to sound the same, but they will all sound different than a center muffler bypass system will.

Just my 0.02 of course.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Speaking of sound, when I was at NJMP last week, I got the nicest compliment. An owner of a beautiful 996 RSR (which is ear splitting LOUD) said he was up on the tower when I was going past on the straight. He said the car sounded really nice.

Made my day.

I have a stock exhaust.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Maybe if it was a wee bit smaller like the real thing....
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
They do sound noticably different in person but certainly not enough to warrant a change from one to the other. I think GMG is the way to go unless you already have a bypass. My advice is stick with what you have. My little experiment taught me the difference is too minimal to waste the money.
Sgroer and I swapped cars on the Smokies run. His car had GMG and mine Sharkwerks. Big difference! GMG is way louder and has a pretty serious drone at one point in the rpm range. I cannot remember exactly where it was, I just remember trying to change things up to get rid of it when we were scooting around the mountains in NC. Maybe Sean can elaborate. It might not be as bad as I thought it was at the time. It was however very loud, and since I drive my car frequently I wonder if I would tire of it.

I liked the sound of the CRS bypass. To me its a little throatier that the Shark but not as loud as GMG. After the Smokies run I called CSR and almost pulled the trigger on one. It seems like a good compromise. However, I just couldn't get over the fact that the butt hole doesn't fit the car very well, and since there is no performance gain its not worth compromising the aesthetics.

So, as I think Matt concluded, right now the Shark is probably the best all around bypass.

Matt, Thank you for all of the cool projects you take on and share with the community. We learn a lot from you. Its much appreciated.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi

So, as I think Matt concluded, right now the Shark is probably the best all around bypass.

Matt, Thank you for all of the cool projects you take on and share with the community. We learn a lot from you. Its much appreciated.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love reading these tests, but am glad I am old and no longer jack with factory stereo or exhausts. Leaves more $ to fix the race cars I $&*(Y# up
Old 07-07-2015, 01:42 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like the way it sounds. I wasn't sure about it, but the single "butthole" look is growing on me. I still have some adjustment to do. It's a little off center.

One of the funnier lines on RL: "... but the single "butthole" look is growing on me." As if you are approaching life from a "dual-butthole" norm?

Please tell me you've tried the RSS X-pipe? Did I miss your trial somewhere? The X-pipe on a 7.2GT3 was pure street car acoustic perfection.

Quick Reply: Chris Smith Racing Center Bypass