Sponsored by:

Is FeFi on its way?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Is FeFi on its way?

The winning tee shirt at Le Mans said: our mission: to build the sports car of the future. This just came up. I got a link to Yahoo although it's also on Facebook.

Cancel the RS order?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/porsch...203027221.html
Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The RS won't be the last great car they produce - if this was the reason for purchasing then yes, cancel it.

It might be the last pure N/A RS - and personally I would make that bet, but even if not buy it because it's an RS.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I think this might be the rumored 960, a car slotted between the top of the 911 range and the 918. Likely in the $350k range. Not a top end 911.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
The winning tee shirt at Le Mans said: our mission: to build the sports car of the future. This just came up. I got a link to Yahoo although it's also on Facebook.

Cancel the RS order?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/porsch...203027221.html
It was very nice talking to you this past Sat. So many stories to share... I hope to see you again in our future meetings.

Now... I wouldn't cancel an RS order. If you can afford the 960, why not stick with the RS and switch later (if you can get a 960 allocation). You will definitely get a premium for your RS or MSRP in the worst case scenario.

Porsche 960, known internally as "FeFi" (for "Ferrari fighter"):
Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default FeFi? Why?

Originally Posted by Just in time
Is FeFi on its way?
Who would want to fight these mean Ferraris? This one is no paper 'Flying Tiger', my friend! This is one tough cookie!

I wet my pants when I saw this one..it was that scary!

For more on the FeFi & the reason some of us think it is urgently needed, see post #35 at this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...e-fires-3.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 06-18-2015, 02:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,738 Likes on 5,126 Posts

I hear that the gulag at Fiat is preparing a PoFi.

Looking forward to that rear-engine prancing horse.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Ferrari is Awesome. For someone to do that to a car that many would only drive 500 to 1000, just for example's sake, and to keep as part of a collection is awesome. Will admit it would be tough to get top dollar for that car in that state. Albeit it's a big middle finger to anyone who thinks or says a car should be a specific way or not. Bravo.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:12 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

This isn't going to be out for another year and a half at the absolute fastest and a good 2 years before any kind of delivery date could be fathomed. I've had a deposit on this already since the first whiff it its existence last year or whatnot, but I'm not letting it affect any car decisions now. However, when it does come out it should be something incredible.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 794 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I've had a deposit on this already since the first whiff it its existence last year
Same here.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First off: what appears to be under that sheet in the "future" photo looks like the automotive expression of Kate Upton which = WIN. Looks like a 911 RS and a 918 had a baby.

Second: Why the lack of faith from some you that the NA engine is all but dead? Other manufactures will still produce them. Porsche is on record stating that they will keep it around (at least in the GT3/RS) for as long as possible; and Porsche will make headway on the overall fleet averages with 4-cyl Cayman's, Hybrids, CO2 credits, etc...

Third: Going NA, perhaps with the 918's special V8, it would position Porsche as more of the driver's car / track rat than the competition from Ferrari & McLaren who have sold their souls to the devil for going all turbo.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Amen
Old 06-18-2015, 08:26 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

On your Second point - here is a recent article from decision makers at Porsche (Head of Motorsports (AP's boss) and Head of R&D) talking up a hybrid 911 model. Don't forget they've already produced a GT3 R Hybrid. It surprises me how many people on here are still betting on an N/A future.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...-1227397037949

It actually pre-dates this by the presentation given to Shareholders by the Chairman of Porsche too, really talking up their hybrid future.

Other articles talk about Porsche acknowledging they need to do hybrid 911s to remain competitive etc in motorsports.

Last year it was suggested we'd see a 911 hybrid in 3 years, so that makes it 2 years from now...
Old 06-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe it's just me but the nostrils of the model in the release look pretty small. Does that indicate less need for cooling? A sign that In fact it is a hybrid? Feel free to chime in.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
On your Second point - here is a recent article from decision makers at Porsche (Head of Motorsports (AP's boss) and Head of R&D) talking up a hybrid 911 model. Don't forget they've already produced a GT3 R Hybrid. It surprises me how many people on here are still betting on an N/A future.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...-1227397037949

It actually pre-dates this by the presentation given to Shareholders by the Chairman of Porsche too, really talking up their hybrid future.

Other articles talk about Porsche acknowledging they need to do hybrid 911s to remain competitive etc in motorsports.

Last year it was suggested we'd see a 911 hybrid in 3 years, so that makes it 2 years from now...
I hope you know I'm not in any way attacking you or any others on this forum.

I think there have been credible mumblings from AP, and a few others at Porsche as of late. A long list at Lamborghini (Also VW owned), Ford, GM, Toyota, etc...that the NA engine may still have a future. Ferrari, McLaren, MB and many others are just chasing numbers now.

What concerns me is that we are just accepting this as our fate. And the more it seems that we are accepting this fate - in magazine articles, on forums, at gatherings, at dealerships, etc... The more the decision makers at these manufactures give a up little bit of fight in themselves, and resign themselves that this is 'accepted' by one and all. It's like a cancer. Men no longer seem to have any fight left in them. Everything is submission, compliance, acceptance, political correctness, and stifling rules & regulations. Look at F1. After 20+ years of good times with the wife & friends, I'm done. Tuned out.

In the same manner that Porsche seems to be listening to it's customers as we indeed may see a manual in the 991.2 GT3/RS, those of us who care should not just roll over and die when it comes to giving up on the NA engine.

The more of us that don't speak up, shrug our shoulders at Porsche driving events, or say nothing to the salesmen at our local dealership when it is stated that "a bright, happy, torque-filled turbo hybrid future awaits us all" we should show them some pause and perhaps a little resentment.

Just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Is FeFi on its way?