GT3RS sport chrono or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default GT3RS sport chrono or not

Originally Posted by 9972RS
So, this may be a good option if the iPhone app with exported data is overlaid automatically.

Can you share the high def original iPhone merged video/data file for us to download? If this is feasible, then I'll get the $1850 clock. I suspect the iPhone can be mounted on roll bar for better perspective
The data is overlaid onto recorded video automatically (if it works). However you CANNOT export it. You can only watch on the phone.

The workaround is to mirror your phone and record a second time, but I can't the recording to come out smoothly and get lag.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Peter, aim solo DL coupled with smartycam HD will give you everything you like about vbox and more. Much more. I agree with nur93 that vbox is comparatively primitive. What does your vbox setup give you in terms of channels? Anything more than Gs and GPS speed?

Nur93, in your next update of the track app, please make overlaid video an option. It can't be that hard to do. Let me know if there are issues with using the app on an iPhone 5 as well since that is what I am using.
I just like simplicity.
The oil and water temps were off but I used them as reference to see about changes only.

The rest plug and play and I like you can put your 4 laps together on one screen instantly and see where you found time by looking at drivers input first (Maybe passing car or a wobble) than look at data instantly to see feet travelled VS Vmin VS V and RPM at exit of corner.. Much more advanced I don't have talent for and its clear to all that I can barely operate an I phone, never got Harry's to work, etc... never used ITunes either,

A friend of mine got PIP with harry's to work in his 964 So I will spend some time with him to see if I can learn it.

I'm sure that I can learn the Porsche app and it can be retrofitted into an RS so I will see how it advances and see if I can find a local teacher to show mu how to make it work.

Vbox as I know it
Old 06-21-2015, 01:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9972RS
So, this may be a good option if the iPhone app with exported data is overlaid automatically.

Can you share the high def original iPhone merged video/data file for us to download? If this is feasible, then I'll get the $1850 clock. I suspect the iPhone can be mounted on roll bar for better perspective
This.
But.
The retrofit kit is $1250 at Suncoast. No clock.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I just like simplicity.
The oil and water temps were off but I used them as reference to see about changes only.

The rest plug and play and I like you can put your 4 laps together on one screen instantly and see where you found time by looking at drivers input first (Maybe passing car or a wobble) than look at data instantly to see feet travelled VS Vmin VS V and RPM at exit of corner.. Much more advanced I don't have talent for and its clear to all that I can barely operate an I phone, never got Harry's to work, etc... never used ITunes either,

A friend of mine got PIP with harry's to work in his 964 So I will spend some time with him to see if I can learn it.

I'm sure that I can learn the Porsche app and it can be retrofitted into an RS so I will see how it advances and see if I can find a local teacher to show mu how to make it work.

Vbox as I know it
That is a nice setup and better than I have seen of other vbox setups in the past. Any special wiring or just obd2 to get all those channels?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I believe all OBDII.

On the older 964 and racecar I don't get much besides speed, laptime and (kinda) RPM..
That's why I am now willing to study Harry's laptimer for the 964..

Old 06-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I was told that it gives you an extra button for sport olus mode .So that you now have three settings for map.
Is this not true ?
Elliot
Old 06-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
But then open I tunes, export with Video than upload to YouTube?

For data great.
For YouTube video's not so much as far as I can tell.
Vbox, take card out copy to YouTube.

Most OnTrack coaching is done by video initially only when you go to race level coaching goes to data only but for me I want to see what my hands and feet were doing..
Yes, raw film is ther, you upload what you like.
I just took out 2 laps from nur from the vbox-HD, and I know this thing is nothing you do a instant moment. Find fastest two laps, then find what rpm/speed dail layout you want, then overlay 2 laps from nur track, this take some time.. its at this point I find raclogis Somthing from the past. As Well to set everything up in car, you need to put in some time. You even need a computer to get it going:-) (to put your SD card in and start the process)

Porsche app, now thats progress:-). It so much more easy to set up in car, car data go via wifi, thats 2015 tech.
Each to their own, just see me as the man who used the two, raclogis and Porsche app I might be in a position to compare them as I have accually used them both in succsess. As Well the film quality I watch is this.

Peopel choose what they like, For me Porsche app is more the right now tech. Who knows, in 6 month its Somthing else. Anyway raclogis is far from flawless and pretty low, not much new going on there. HD racelogics is a minimum, the others are quite bad quality. Raclogis was very late in to market With their HD box.

Last edited by Nur93; 06-21-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Nur, thank you very much.

But i see screenshots. I dont need.
Just want to have 2 camera (or maybe put i phone over my sholder) and put it on YouTube.
How do I do that? Quickly with just the few laps I'm interested in?

I really really want it to work but I am IPhone and I tunes new by and nothing about it is intuitive to me LOL

I just played with the app and I tunes a bit.
If someone could just get it to work and explain I would by it. Clock or not.
Sorry I am so stupid with this stuff.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:55 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

What I truly think the Porsche app does is record the two video and data separately. When it's played back on the iPhone, then two data and video are merged. There are ways of getting the video file out of the iPhone easily, but it will still be just the raw video recorded by the iPhone and not a merged product like the smartycam.

I think this product has potential, but someone or prosche has to merge both files into 1 final video.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:59 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^ nur93,

Can you confirm if the raw video file contains the merged data? If so, then we should get this option. Email or uploading the video file is easy. Jailbreak and ifile is all that is needed on the iPhone. You have instant YouTube files. BUT, we need merged video and data in 1 file
Old 06-21-2015, 07:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
Yes, raw film is ther, you upload what you like.
I just took out 2 laps from nur from the vbox-HD, and I know this thing is nothing you do a instant moment. Find fastest two laps, then find what rpm/speed dail layout you want, then overlay 2 laps from nur track, this take some time.. its at this point I find raclogis Somthing from the past. As Well to set everything up in car, you need to put in some time. You even need a computer to get it going:-) (to put your SD card in and start the process)

Porsche app, now thats progress:-). It so much more easy to set up in car, car data go via wifi, thats 2015 tech.
Each to their own, just see me as the man who used the two, raclogis and Porsche app I might be in a position to compare them as I have accually used them both in succsess.

[…]

Peopel choose what they like, For me Porsche app is more the right now tech. Who knows, in 6 month its Somthing else. Anyway raclogis is far from flawless and pretty low, not much new going on there. HD racelogics is a minimum, the others are quite bad quality. Raclogis was very late in to market With their HD box.
So much truth in this. Bravo.

The resistance and backlash to the Porsche App reminds one of the reluctance and skepticism many had (and still harbor) over the introduction of the automated dual-clutch gearbox.

Many to this day still hew to the position that only a car with a human-operated clutch pedal can provide the purer expression of the true driving experience.

Perhaps that is true, but regardless of the merits of one's personal inclinations, a PDK gearbox shouldn't simply be rejected out-of-hand as inferior to a traditional manual transmission simply because it is different.

That would be like someone advising a person not to get an Apple computer because the "ctrl-alt-delete" function doesn't work on the Mac.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
So much truth in this. Bravo.

The resistance and backlash to the Porsche App reminds one of the reluctance and skepticism many had (and still harbor) over the introduction of the automated dual-clutch gearbox.

Many to this day still hew to the position that only a car with a human-operated clutch pedal can provide the purer expression of the true driving experience.

Perhaps that is true, but regardless of the merits of one's personal inclinations, a PDK gearbox shouldn't simply be rejected out-of-hand as inferior to a traditional manual transmission simply because it is different.

That would be like someone advising a person not to get an Apple computer because the "ctrl-alt-delete" function doesn't work on the Mac.
Wha? Pdk and the track app are totally different animals. Pdk works perfectly and is a matter of personal preference. The track app is a novel idea with many flaws. I know the app has worked well for you, but I have 2 questions:

1) which iPhone are you using?
2) how many times have you used the app?

I'm using an iphone5 and the app has failed me every time except for a day a Laguna Seca.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wha? Pdk and the track app are totally different animals. Pdk works perfectly and is a matter of personal preference. The track app is a novel idea with many flaws. I know the app has worked well for you, but I have 2 questions:

1) which iPhone are you using?
2) how many times have you used the app?

I'm using an iphone5 and the app has failed me every time except for a day a Laguna Seca.
1. iPhone 6 (iOS 8.3.1)
2. 2

And Joe, my analogy to the PDK was simply that, an analogy. Namely, that new or different tech with different UI (or user experiences) will always have a certain level of growing pains and resistance from hoi polloi. (And, for what it's worth, I think there are many who will dispute the notion that the PDK works "perfectly" but then that's an entire thread all unto itself.)

And all that said, none of it was directed at you (or, really, anyone in particular). No offense intended. I know you've had your issues with the App, and it's unfortunate. Perhaps you drive too fast for the App to keep up with?

Cheers.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
1. iPhone 6 (iOS 8.3.1)
2. 2

And Joe, my analogy to the PDK was simply that, an analogy. Namely, that new or different tech with different UI (or user experiences) will always have a certain level of growing pains and resistance from hoi polloi. (And, for what it's worth, I think there are many who will dispute the notion that the PDK works "perfectly" but then that's an entire thread all unto itself.)

And all that said, none of it was directed at you (or, really, anyone in particular). No offense intended. I know you've had your issues with the App, and it's unfortunate. Perhaps you drive too fast for the App to keep up with?

Cheers.
No offense taken. Maybe I need to try it on my iPhone 6. I just don't have a lot of space left for video since it's my primary device.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No offense taken. Maybe I need to try it on my iPhone 6. I just don't have a lot of space left for video since it's my primary device.
Like I said, the UI is not perfect nor the most common-sense (see: C7 PDR), but the times I've tried it, it has worked flawlessly for me.

Just FYI, I've only tried it on tracks where I've imported the map (by driving the course) and have not tried it on a pre-loaded track (like yourself with Laguna Seca).

Quick Reply: GT3RS sport chrono or not