991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Track insurance claim experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Here's a plus with open track
Unlimited track days (non competitive of course)
Same policy covers all the cars I track: gt4, rs, 964 for same premium
Covers instructors driving your car
Covers any track
Covers private event days and member tracks (where they started)
And if you do than say more than 10 days a year it's by far the best value

I'll be renewing mine again.
IIRC, the coverage is for a specific list of tracks (which is a long list).
Old 10-06-2016, 08:12 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

Yes but if there is a track not on the list - call them. They'll probably add it. There is an additional fee if you want to drive Canadian tracks.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:47 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I just renewed my policy, adding my GT3RS. The premium ran around $7,000 to cover both the RS and the GT3 for the year. The premium is based on the more expensive car with $150 added for the second car.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-14-2022)
Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
IIRC, the coverage is for a specific list of tracks (which is a long list).
correct, they'll add the track if not on the list.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:18 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
correct, they'll add the track if not on the list.
Yes to this. I had them add Thermal to their list.
AlexCeres (08-15-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 06:55 PM
trlin
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Yes but if there is a track not on the list - call them. They'll probably add it. There is an additional fee if you want to drive Canadian tracks.
Anyone have any issues with open track the last few years? Thanks
Old 08-16-2022, 02:06 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by trlin
Anyone have any issues with open track the last few years? Thanks
Had a friend crash a GT4 last year. Repair cost about 14K at the owners choice of body shop and mechanicals at a Porsche dealership. Paid by Open Track with no hassles.

Are you having issues? Curious to know as I have been using them almost exclusively but have not had to file a claim yet myself.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:09 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got a buddy who has a $100K plus claim in right now. From what I understand, no issues w OT at all but the final invoice hasn't been presented yet. One thing I learned is for any claim submitted, the deductible is 10% of the insured value, not the repair cost as i had (wrongfully) assumed. Good to know as any smaller repair costs (under $15K) you may be better to pay out of pocket rather than filing a claim if your car is valued over $150k.
Manifold (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 01:44 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout
I've got a buddy who has a $100K plus claim in right now. From what I understand, no issues w OT at all but the final invoice hasn't been presented yet. One thing I learned is for any claim submitted, the deductible is 10% of the insured value, not the repair cost as i had (wrongfully) assumed. Good to know as any smaller repair costs (under $15K) you may be better to pay out of pocket rather than filing a claim if your car is valued over $150k.
is that not the way all deductibles work?
Old 08-17-2022, 04:51 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
is that not the way all deductibles work?
Apparently yes. I just didn't realize it, thinking it would be 10% of the repair cost. Now I'm educated.

Old 10-29-2022, 01:17 AM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Contacted OpenTrack today; very personable interaction. However, in looking at their sample policy and talking to them, I am trying to figure out the one "gotcha" which is *collision*. That is all they cover and its unclear exactly what the definition is.

Example - and why I'm considering this. 2 weeks ago I was at H2R and a brand new BMW went off track, got stuck, eventually caught on fire and burned to a crisp. Its not even recognizable anymore. Driver was ok and I have no idea if he had insurance as I didn't catch up with him (probably wouldn't want to answer the question if he didn't anyway). Bottom line, this scared the heck out of me as I saw it in person. I have had only 2 incidents on track in the past - many years ago. Once spun on track and backed into a tire wall and another time went 2 wheels off and partially grazed a wall.

The OpenTrack rep explained some coverage for a guy who had just bought a policy 15 min before and then went off at T5 at Thunderhill. Apparently hit a ditch and damaged the car.

My biggest concern is - what is a collision in these cases? A collision with a ditch? What would happen if you just spun and went off and weren't in a ditch but couldn't get on track and then your car caught on fire? That is, it seemed like a ditch is a collision (you hit something) but just being on track and having your car not hit anything is not a collision. While that might be a rarity, I would imagine plenty of times after a spin people have difficulty starting a car (for whatever reason and if you are off track slightly you could ignite grass and then boom.

I just scanned a bunch of threads - it seems there are people who have the insurance and no claims and then those with claims that were paid. I don't know what these claims were for (folks, can you come forward?) OR are there any folks willing to say if they did not get a claim paid?
BartN (TX) (10-29-2022)
Old 08-09-2023, 08:19 PM
GTTROIS
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 150 Posts

Are there any updates to this thread!?
Thank you in advance for any new first hand experience you may have with this company/topic.

Last edited by GTTROIS; 08-09-2023 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:39 AM
MBGTR&Z06&GT3RS
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an open $100k claim currently with OpenTrack. I will communicate once it is resolved.

Originally Posted by GTTROIS
Are there any updates to this thread!?
Thank you in advance for any new first hand experience you may have with this company/topic.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:32 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
Contacted OpenTrack today; very personable interaction. However, in looking at their sample policy and talking to them, I am trying to figure out the one "gotcha" which is *collision*. That is all they cover and its unclear exactly what the definition is.

Example - and why I'm considering this. 2 weeks ago I was at H2R and a brand new BMW went off track, got stuck, eventually caught on fire and burned to a crisp. Its not even recognizable anymore. Driver was ok and I have no idea if he had insurance as I didn't catch up with him (probably wouldn't want to answer the question if he didn't anyway). Bottom line, this scared the heck out of me as I saw it in person. I have had only 2 incidents on track in the past - many years ago. Once spun on track and backed into a tire wall and another time went 2 wheels off and partially grazed a wall.

The OpenTrack rep explained some coverage for a guy who had just bought a policy 15 min before and then went off at T5 at Thunderhill. Apparently hit a ditch and damaged the car.

My biggest concern is - what is a collision in these cases? A collision with a ditch? What would happen if you just spun and went off and weren't in a ditch but couldn't get on track and then your car caught on fire? That is, it seemed like a ditch is a collision (you hit something) but just being on track and having your car not hit anything is not a collision. While that might be a rarity, I would imagine plenty of times after a spin people have difficulty starting a car (for whatever reason and if you are off track slightly you could ignite grass and then boom.

I just scanned a bunch of threads - it seems there are people who have the insurance and no claims and then those with claims that were paid. I don't know what these claims were for (folks, can you come forward?) OR are there any folks willing to say if they did not get a claim paid?
Without some sort of impact, a vehicle fire is covered under an auto insurance policy's comprehensive coverage, not collision coverage.
85Gold (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 11:06 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Without some sort of impact, a vehicle fire is covered under an auto insurance policy's comprehensive coverage, not collision coverage.
Aside from regular auto insurance policy, there could be a vehicle manufacturer warranty claim (if the fire was caused by a fault with the car - car companies are particularly sensitive to fire issues).
85Gold (08-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Open Track insurance claim experience?