Sponsored by:

Maxed out camber with stock hardware

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:14 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Sam. maybe they leave the factory just fine but strapping them down on the ship or the transporter screws things up? Ill be making it an annual thing to have my geo checked and re set. Im pretty sure with the fast back road driving I do and the state of our roads its would be a reasonable investment.
You make a very good point. I haven't thought about it this way and simply assumed it's OK. I'l' have them redo/check w my next tire swap.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:47 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Here are my readings from delivery and after two alignments. These where from the same Alignment machine that Cantrell used on Seapar's car for comparison.

Readings after first alignment

Readings after second alignment. Note longer toe links were installed to get to this neg camber.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Just a thought, I always ask for corner balance with alignment and always on new tires. So I did that when the new front tires go on, this was about 3:1 on the 997 RS with Nitto's or about every 10 or so track days

The MSC2 don't seem to need much camber and seem to last very long.
On the GT3 the fronts wear a bit more, so hoping it will be balanced out with the bigger front grip.

My super balanced 964 cords all 4 tires on the same session or 2.. Very convenient.

BTW how many track days have you been getting out of the MPSC2's?
I think Orthojoe got 6-8 days?
Old 06-07-2015, 12:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Maxed out camber with stock hardware

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Just a thought, I always ask for corner balance with alignment and always on new tires. So I did that when the new front tires go on, this was about 3:1 on the 997 RS with Nitto's or about every 10 or so track days

The MSC2 don't seem to need much camber and seem to last very long.
On the GT3 the fronts wear a bit more, so hoping it will be balanced out with the bigger front grip.

My super balanced 964 cords all 4 tires on the same session or 2.. Very convenient.

BTW how many track days have you been getting out of the MPSC2's?
I think Orthojoe got 6-8 days?

I only got 4 out of my factory set before the front tread wore out. I probably could have squeezed one more day out of them, but grip was failing
Edit: I took a look at actual mileage, and 5 days is more of a fair number, so 5-6 days on N spec

I had 6 days on my K spec mpsc2, which still had tread left, but were totally heat cycled out.

3 days so far on the trofeo R....

I have a set a Dunlop sport maxx race to test next
Old 06-07-2015, 12:39 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I have 7 hard track days and about 1000 street miles on Trofeo R. They have one or two days left on them I think. They need more camber than sport cup 2s and I only have -2.2 all around.

Dunlops suck. I have them on right now and the grip is poor. I need to play with tire pressures before I make a final decision. I have a new set of Trofeo R waiting patiently in the garage...
Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

^^ As discussed in a prior thread, might be best to measure tire life in track hours rather than track days, since some of us average more hours per day than others. My track days are typically between 1.3 and 3 hours. With the GT3, I'm also keeping a log of the track miles, since Porsche provides a separate maintenance schedule for track use.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:10 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

With the tire wear I was experiencing on the outside of my front tires I needed more camber. My two main tracks run CCW and are super hard on tires. I just put new front tires on and changed the set up so we shall see how this goes. My thinking right now is you will go through two fronts for every rear of SC 2's.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default Maxed out camber with stock hardware

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
With the tire wear I was experiencing on the outside of my front tires I needed more camber. My two main tracks run CCW and are super hard on tires. I just put new front tires on and changed the set up so we shall see how this goes. My thinking right now is you will go through two fronts for every rear of SC 2's.
This is probably true in terms of tread wear, but the rears will heat cycle out before the tread wears out. Now you have a recipe for excess oversteer...
Old 06-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I'm anticipating the same ~2x ratio.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
This is probably true in terms of tread wear, but the rears will heat cycle out before the tread wears out. Now you have a recipe for excess oversteer...
Grip with my fronts was pretty decent until the end. And now that I have new fronts on the car, I expected that the car might be a touch loose, but to my surprise I'm finding that I still have some understeer.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

I wonder how higher-than-stock camber impacts overall tire performance given that the MPSC2 is a multi-compound tire with presumably stickier rubber at the outer edges for use during cornering.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
I wonder how higher-than-stock camber impacts overall tire performance given that the MPSC2 is a multi-compound tire with presumably stickier rubber at the outer edges for use during cornering.
If you're rolling over the outer edge of the tire and killing the outside, you're not taking full advantage of the tire. You could try to raise tire pressures to decrease rollover, but then you're compromising grip as well since there is an optimum tire pressure. Porsche made those lower control arms adjustable for a reason. Adjustable LCAs only show up on Porsche's GT cars.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
^^ As discussed in a prior thread, might be best to measure tire life in track hours rather than track days, since some of us average more hours per day than others. My track days are typically between 1.3 and 3 hours. With the GT3, I'm also keeping a log of the track miles, since Porsche provides a separate maintenance schedule for track use.
Very true. A track day for me is 2-3 hrs drive time. Sometimes more if my wife is driving the car too.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:46 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Joe you have a valid point but my new rear tires are not here yet and I have lots of tread left so I will give it a go and see how we do. We have a beautiful carousel that i can use to check for oversteer. Hell I might look like Chris Harris. Were are those NT-01's when we need them...
Old 06-13-2015, 09:56 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone happen to have the torque spec for the nuts on top of the strut?

Ryan
Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsches, BMWs, and Mini I have purchased new required an alignment from the factory. Kind of sad.

Quick Reply: Maxed out camber with stock hardware