Sponsored by:

New Manual Narrow Wingless 911 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015 | 10:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
At least the 991 GT3 has relatively decent steering. You'd never catch me driving a regular 991.
I'm getting a GT4 with the same setup and it's one of the few compromises that has me concerned. I hope it's better than I expect.
Old 07-20-2015 | 10:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, and to be clear that simplification means lower cost of manufacturing which is the real reason for its existence - not fuel economy.
I'm sure that's a big part of it but I wouldn't discount the weight loss and efficiency gains either. 1 mpg doesn't seem like much but given the realities of regulation, if a manufacturer can drop mileage numbers on a corporate level by a full point just by changing to EPS, that's a fairly easy get.

Bottom line, though, steering feel is still critical. I've driven 911's for a long time. I remember putting spacers under the rack in my lowered '84 Carrera to help ease some of the kickback in the wheel on rough roads. The new car's steering is more subtle and refined but the feel is still there. I have no problem with it and I think you may be pleasantly surprised with the EPS in the GT4.
Old 07-20-2015 | 10:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm sure that's a big part of it but I wouldn't discount the weight loss and efficiency gains either. 1 mpg doesn't seem like much but given the realities of regulation, if a manufacturer can drop mileage numbers on a corporate level by a full point just by changing to EPS, that's a fairly easy get..
I think eps probably has about a 1 mpg advantage over traditional hydraulic steering driven by a belt from the crankshaft. But the more expensive electro-hydraulic approach from Porsche factory race cars comes far closer than that, I would think.
Old 07-20-2015 | 11:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I think eps probably has about a 1 mpg advantage over traditional hydraulic steering driven by a belt from the crankshaft. But the more expensive electro-hydraulic approach from Porsche factory race cars comes far closer than that, I would think.
You might be right although electro-hydraulic steering would be too expensive to implement across all model lines so you'd want to make it available only on GT cars, for example, and then bake the costs into an elevated MSRP.

That EH system is found on, what, a couple of hundred race cars (Cup and RSR) each year? I wonder if the manufacturer even has the ability to ramp up by a factor of 10 or more to 2-3000 units annually? Just saying, there are likely multiple factors involved (cost, capacity, production, maintenance, warranty) so the decision might not be a simple as it seems.
Old 07-21-2015 | 12:10 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You might be right although electro-hydraulic steering would be too expensive to implement across all model lines so you'd want to make it available only on GT cars, for example, and then bake the costs into an elevated MSRP.

That EH system is found on, what, a couple of hundred race cars (Cup and RSR) each year? I wonder if the manufacturer even has the ability to ramp up by a factor of 10 or more to 2-3000 units annually? Just saying, there are likely multiple factors involved (cost, capacity, production, maintenance, warranty) so the decision might not be a simple as it seems.
I'm sure it's not cheap, but McLaren does it on all their models including the 540 and 570 which are GT3 and RS competitors.
Old 07-21-2015 | 12:52 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

I'm sure it's not cheap, but McLaren does it on all their models including the 540 and 570 which are GT3 and RS competitors.
Good point.

Porsche should build their halo GT cars (GT4, GT3/RS) with electro-hydraulic steering.
Old 07-21-2015 | 11:13 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Default New Manual Narrow Wingless 911 GT?

Has anyone seen pictures of this new 991.2GT/R?
To me it looks like a 991.2S with a roll cage in it? Anyone have any inside?
Old 07-21-2015 | 11:28 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Ummmm, I'm confused. What will be different about this that the GTS or Carrera S with a Power kit doesn't offer? I think they're getting a bit out of hand with the variants.
Old 07-21-2015 | 12:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Default New Manual Narrow Wingless 911 GT?

VW can actually pull this off. I'd be a lot more interested in a Macan/Cayenne/Panamera GT3,Macan/Cayenne/Panamera GT2RS,PTS Macan/Cayenne/Panamera GT3RS with huge CUP car style wings and dive planes. But my favorite of all time would be a street version 919!

Quick Reply: New Manual Narrow Wingless 911 GT?