Headlight Crack

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by s996
Mech33

Great video. My lights were exactly like those. I just had both replaced without question from my local dealer. They didn't say exactly what was going on but stated this happens from time to time.

They also checked computer,my car is November build ecu - there are no new ecu updates since November on the car according to tech.

Lastly they approved xpel for use on the lense surface both where I purchased in manhatten and at my dealer in Tennessee

take them to dealer and demand new ones.
Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any pictures of yours that you could post?

My dealer strongly supports replacing them and pushed Porsche to do so, but their field technical manager looked at the pictures and denied it. He simply claimed they must have been damaged from the outside given how visibly cracked they are. Very disappointing, so I've escalated it to the next level at Porsche customer relations to try and get someone to actually come see it in person.

This is my first warranty interaction with Porsche ever, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll step it up and actually look carefully at what is happening with the lights, check back with engineering to hear that there actually IS a field issue happening with these that have already been reported by many folks such as yourself, and quickly replace them before souring things much further.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any pictures of yours that you could post? My dealer strongly supports replacing them and pushed Porsche to do so, but their field technical manager looked at the pictures and denied it. He simply claimed they must have been damaged from the outside given how visibly cracked they are. Very disappointing, so I've escalated it to the next level at Porsche customer relations to try and get someone to actually come see it in person. This is my first warranty interaction with Porsche ever, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll step it up and actually look carefully at what is happening with the lights, check back with engineering to hear that there actually IS a field issue happening with these that have already been reported by many folks such as yourself, and quickly replace them before souring things much further. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
I'm sure you have already, but if they see this thread, it should be obvious there is a design / material issue.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I'm sure you have already, but if they see this thread, it should be obvious there is a design / material issue.
UPDATE: just got a call back from Porsche and they are going to warranty the lights. Crisis averted! Was very glad to hear this.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

UPDATE: just got a call back from Porsche and they are going to warranty the lights. Crisis averted! Was very glad to hear this.
Glad it worked out!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

Any feedback as to what caused the cracks? Obviously its not an isolated case.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lodi
Any feedback as to what caused the cracks? Obviously its not an isolated case.
Nope. It sounded like they were just giving me the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't my fault (after I escalated to Porsche corporate).
Old 07-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope. It sounded like they were just giving me the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't my fault (after I escalated to Porsche corporate).
Good enough! Congrats!
Old 07-03-2015, 02:04 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys-
As soon as I get my car back next week, I will take a video or post pictures of my headlamp cracking. My 'piston misfire' has turned into a new engine being delivered from Germany!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Guys, I have a theory that some of the edges of these Porsche headlights aren't adequately coated / protected and the multi-layer laminated film edges are exposed, making them susceptible to damage from chemicals in common automotive cleaners.

It's well-understood that certain acrylics / polycarbonates will stress fracture when exposed to alcohols / solvents / petroleum distillates: http://products.asminternational.org...do?record=1340

If the Porsche headlights don't have adequate protective coatings (perhaps some are worse than others), and if you use any common cleaning products that contain solvents (such as glass cleaners, bug removers, spray-on waxes, etc.) that get on the headlight edges, then perhaps this causes the micro surface cracks that expand with environment stress / temperature.

Thoughts?

Old 08-31-2015, 11:49 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I have a theory that some of the edges of these Porsche headlights aren't adequately coated / protected and the multi-layer laminated film edges are exposed, making them susceptible to damage from chemicals in common automotive cleaners.

It's well-understood that certain acrylics / polycarbonates will stress fracture when exposed to alcohols / solvents / petroleum distillates: http://products.asminternational.org...do?record=1340

If the Porsche headlights don't have adequate protective coatings (perhaps some are worse than others), and if you use any common cleaning products that contain solvents (such as glass cleaners, bug removers, spray-on waxes, etc.) that get on the headlight edges, then perhaps this causes the micro surface cracks that expand with environment stress / temperature.

Thoughts?

Mech33
Interesting theory. I have not yet had the time to deal with this, but glad a few others have been successful in the warranty claim. My cracks are exactly like your video and slowly (very slowly) getting worse. As an aside, my third engine on the GT3 is doing great.....
Old 09-01-2015, 06:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad they replaced...hopefully the next ones won't crack. I wonder if this happens to both LED and Xenon lights ?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockitman
Glad they replaced...hopefully the next ones won't crack. I wonder if this happens to both LED and Xenon lights ?
Bad news: my new lights that were just replaced about 6 weeks ago are already showing some small defects slowly starting at the edges again. There must be some sort of manufacturing flaw affecting batches of lights maybe? My car sits in a garage 90% of the time so I can't imagine the lights gets that much stress outside...

Last edited by Mech33; 09-02-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Crack