Sponsored by:

991RS Review thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015 | 06:08 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petevb
, and I'm not the only one...
I certainly am one as well, love the rear engine, and love a manual. Up until my 991 GT3 I only had manual Porsches. Yet it seems that had Porsche jumped on the proverbial bandwagon earlier all of these points would be moot, just as they are with other sportcar manufacturers. The only reason they kept the manual in the previous generations was cost of development for a PDK for the Mezger not some glorious view at holding to tradition. Ferrari is moving to Artificial Aspiration as is Porsche. Everyone complained about power assist.....now complaining about electronic assist. Manual, SMG, DCG, PDK.......all this has happened before and all this will happen again. I'll keep a old school air cooled short wheel base 911 along side the RS....problem solved.
Old 05-22-2015 | 09:17 PM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

I'm extremely excited about the RS. It's going to be as close to having a street legal cup car as Porsche has ever come. How knows, might give the older ones a run for their money.

At the same time I know I'd really miss the manual and hydraulic steering. Which is exactly why I'm keeping my 997.2 GT3. Plus I've done so much suspension work and modifications to the interior so I can fit all 6'8 of me in the car with a helmet that it seems dumb to get rid of the perfect (to me) 997.

Thinking the 4.25L from BBI will be a nice way to freshen her up.
Old 05-22-2015 | 09:33 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

I think quite a few people will keep a manual car. I am keeping my 7.1RS permanently, so not really worried about the manual/PDK debate. I suspect I would have gone PDK anyway in the event of a choice as I have the older car when I want to do some traditional shifting.
Old 05-23-2015 | 05:11 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

If any manual it has not to be this pdk derived 7 speed manual
Old 05-23-2015 | 06:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
Agreed. Proper 6-speed or bin it.
Old 05-23-2015 | 06:22 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by dannyb
I'm extremely excited about the RS. It's going to be as close to having a street legal cup car as Porsche has ever come. How knows, might give the older ones a run for their money.

At the same time I know I'd really miss the manual and hydraulic steering. Which is exactly why I'm keeping my 997.2 GT3. Plus I've done so much suspension work and modifications to the interior so I can fit all 6'8 of me in the car with a helmet that it seems dumb to get rid of the perfect (to me) 997.

Thinking the 4.25L from BBI will be a nice way to freshen her up.
I'm also very excited about the new RS but I don't think it will be close to a cup car. Actually the opposite, I have limited seat time in cup cars. 996 and 997. None in 991 cup. But to me the 993rs clubsport and 996rs seems a lot more related to motorsport than the 991rs. All speculation from my side. We just have to wait and see until we get to drive it.
Old 05-23-2015 | 07:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
We were assured by PCNA's Engine Expert during our recent visit that, contrary to the "unobtainium" Crankshaft material alluded to by other spokesmen, the metal of the GT3RS Crankshaft is EXACTLY the same material as used in all of our GT3 Crankshafts. Only the Stroke had been changed to reach the 4 Liter capacity, and the reduction to 8,800 RPM from 9,000 was made to match the Piston Speed of the GT3 Engine. The cause of the previous GT3 Engine problems related only to the Connecting Rod Bolts.
Lane - everything you report here is just as I have been told from within mothership.
Old 05-23-2015 | 07:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
No, AP may have been referring to the difference from the past RS motor. This wouldn't be the first time we have heard information mis-interpreted from the higher ups at Porsche. Remember when we first heard the RS motor was a completely different motor? The Tech at the experience center appeared very knowledgeable but did waffle on a couple questions.
Same as Hatz. All reference to previous gen RS never back to GT3. For example all new engine!!! Andy Frankell got his hands burnt on that one!!
Old 05-23-2015 | 08:03 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by fxz
Amen.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Agreed. Proper 6-speed or bin it.
Preach.
Old 05-23-2015 | 11:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race7117
I certainly am one as well, love the rear engine, and love a manual. Up until my 991 GT3 I only had manual Porsches. Yet it seems that had Porsche jumped on the proverbial bandwagon earlier all of these points would be moot, just as they are with other sportcar manufacturers. The only reason they kept the manual in the previous generations was cost of development for a PDK for the Mezger not some glorious view at holding to tradition. Ferrari is moving to Artificial Aspiration as is Porsche. Everyone complained about power assist.....now complaining about electronic assist. Manual, SMG, DCG, PDK.......all this has happened before and all this will happen again. I'll keep a old school air cooled short wheel base 911 along side the RS....problem solved.
agree with that. 993 RS spec for me. Love the PDK GT3. Love the air cooled hydraulic steered 6 speed manual with zero TC/PASM chassis. Apples and oranges and both so different cant compare but can't see life now without the both of them to improve the appreciation one to the other!!!
Old 05-23-2015 | 11:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

So far the way I'm reading this is if you put a track remove able Crawford wing with a new front splitter on the 991 GT3 then fitted some 265/325 rubber on the 20" factory wheels (I think the sizes are available and one assumes could fit) you would be closing the lap time gap between the GT3 & RS by at least 50%? This could be a low cost ($3000?) improvement for GT3 owners who prefer the clean look of that car and the 9000 limit whist wanting some of the improved lateral grip, sharp turn in and aero benefit of the RS at track days.

Let's face it even a small difference in the skill and experience between two drivers, one in each, could easily over ride the other at a given track. If the RS badge isn't something you must have I see this as a viable way to close the gap and enjoy the best of most worlds for little outlay. all IMO of course...

Last edited by Macca; 05-23-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2015 | 11:43 PM
jenk12m
Banned

It always comes down to the driver when comparing 3 to the RS.
Old 05-24-2015 | 12:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

GT4's and 997's will be passing 991RS's.

I haven't determined yet who's having more fun driving.

You can argue the looks but otherwise for track use always RS > GT3. If no track use IMHO you shouldn't buy a Porsche at all, much cooler faster better cheaper cars than GT3.

Value and price difference RS VS GT3 is relative to each driver, even more when historical RS resale value is taken into account. Personally for me a non RS is never an option unless I can't secure or afford to track an RS. In that case the GT3 or GT4 is a fantastic alternative with warranty and air cooled 5 speeds without warranty.
Old 05-24-2015 | 12:29 AM
jenk12m
Banned

true words
Old 05-24-2015 | 12:33 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Exactly my thoughts. The two cars are close enough as is, and the last 2/10ths in performance pretty much comes down to the driver.

The marketing line between the two is now blurrier than ever. But TBH I've never been tempted to buy a GT3. That's not a statement of value, just a matter of expectations. I see these cars as track-oriented toys and there's just no need for a go-between.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You can argue the looks but otherwise for track use always RS > GT3. If no track use IMHO you shouldn't buy a Porsche at all, much cooler faster better cheaper cars than GT3.

Personally for me a non RS is never an option unless I can't secure or afford to track an RS. In that case the GT3 or GT4 is a fantastic alternative with warranty and air cooled 5 speeds without warranty.

Quick Reply: 991RS Review thread