Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Did You Do To Your GT3 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015 | 05:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by bigkraig
interested in how this feels after your next autox!
Me too! Based on my experience with my 997 Carrera S I'd already had the front camber adjusted to -2 degrees but left the rear alone. The Carrera had understeer and needed additional front end bite so I assumed the GT3 would be similar. But it's much better balanced in stock form than the Carrera was, and with the RWS, wider front rubber relative to the rear, and different suspension I found that changing just the front camber made the car a little tail happy especially in slaloms. Increasing rear camber to match the front should restore balance and overall grip should be improved over stock. Fun stuff!
Old 06-10-2015 | 12:03 PM
Bartron
Racer

Last week put the 997 cup exhaust in from Carnewal. Took bumper off, all the parts needed were in the box. Loving the sound and feel. Definitely would not pass at Laguna Seca.

Two days ago, flipped wheels from side to side as our track wears lefts more than rights. First time dealing with the CL's. With the tools and advice from this forum, it was much easier than anticipated. Lazy 45m which included tracking down the missus to sit in the car, listen to music, text on her phone and press the brake pedal.

I installed some heat shield to protect the plastic as I was afraid the cup exhaust may melt the plastic.

Safety-wired the vacuum tubing to the exhaust and plugged them with some number 8 machine screws.

Old 06-10-2015 | 07:45 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

^

That's good stuff. Brief comparison with stock? I bet it now has the Cup howl! Are you cool with it on the street? Puttin around?
Old 06-11-2015 | 03:34 PM
Bartron
Racer

So, it's been a week with the cup exhaust and a track day.

All the parts necessary were there. Easy install and I did end up taking the bumper off. The bumper removal was easier than on a 997.2 which I was pleasantly surprised about.

First, drone. Yes, there is drone, more throttle input (acceleration) the more drone between 2-3K. Sometimes it's annoyingly loud. That's the downside. At first I was worried that it would drive me crazy.

I have since made peace. If I keep it in auto, the revs stay below 2K anyway so not much drone. If I stomp the gas in auto, there is drone as higher gear with more throttle in 2-3K produces the drone. Around the city, driving lazily in auto it's not bad.

When I want to drive in manual, it's even easier to avoid drone as long as you keep the revs up above 3K. I'm not saving any fuel but the car sounds great and the sound is deep and satisfying - particularly at part throttle or downshifting.

On the track, no issue with drone as the revs are up. Sounds awesome from inside and out.

The car does reverberate the exhaust sound a bit but I like that and makes the car feel alive and less clinical.

I need to get a mic for my smartycam and then could post video with sound.

I like the fact I don't have to press the PSE button and there's no ON/OFF valve noise.
Old 06-14-2015 | 08:47 PM
Jay-O
Track Day

Default GMG install

Friday night I installed s GMG bypass on my GT3

Old 06-14-2015 | 08:52 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Jay, just curious what kind of ramps are you showing in the pic? Did you use one for each of the four wheels or only the rear two?
Old 06-14-2015 | 08:58 PM
Ma991
Racer

What are your thoughts on the GMG bypass Jay?
Old 06-14-2015 | 09:00 PM
Jay-O
Track Day

Originally Posted by bronson7
Jay, just curious what kind of ramps are you showing in the pic? Did you use one for each of the four wheels or only the rear two?
Hey Bronson 7 ,
I just went to Can Tire and picked up a Set of plastic wheel ramps , blocked the front wheels with a tire chock and just jacked up the car and placed the ramps under the wheels ! Super crazy jacking the car up , front tire comes off the ground the same amount ! What a stiff car .
Old 06-14-2015 | 09:08 PM
Jay-O
Track Day

Default GMG bypass

Originally Posted by Ma991
What are your thoughts on the GMG bypass Jay?
Well it's steel art made by artisans! It was easy to install , and sounds a lot different at 3500rpm and up to Deafening at 8000-9000rpm , but very little difference than stock at low RPm , I did notice you pick up a lot of the over run sound when you let off the gas quickly which sounds great around town ! No regrets spending the money , I hope to drive it more this week to get use to the sound at higher revs!
Old 06-14-2015 | 09:09 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jay-O
Hey Bronson 7 ,
I just went to Can Tire and picked up a Set of plastic wheel ramps , blocked the front wheels with a tire chock and just jacked up the car and placed the ramps under the wheels ! Super crazy jacking the car up , front tire comes off the ground the same amount ! What a stiff car .
Thanks Jay.
Old 06-14-2015 | 09:20 PM
2016RS
Instructor

Hey Jay-O,

Would love to hear the bypass if you can post some audio.

Have to do something with mine soon - not enough grunt below 4,000 rpm.

cheers

(p.s., nice license plate holder)
Old 06-14-2015 | 10:35 PM
Ma991
Racer

Well it's steel art made by artisans! It was easy to install , and sounds a lot different at 3500rpm and up to Deafening at 8000-9000rpm , but very little difference than stock at low RPm , I did notice you pick up a lot of the over run sound when you let off the gas quickly which sounds great around town ! No regrets spending the money , I hope to drive it more this week to get use to the sound at higher revs!
Thank you.
Old 06-14-2015 | 11:12 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

I installed illuminated door sills
Old 06-15-2015 | 01:17 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Do you still have your valves connected?
Old 06-15-2015 | 12:40 PM
Jay-O
Track Day

yes I still have the valves connected, I like that I can sneak out of the neighourhood early in the AM.

JAson

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your GT3 Today?